c9ine

Stuck at login

Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:26 am

Hi all,

I've just got my pi up and running and I can't seem to get past the login screen. I'm using "pi" as the login and "raspberry" as the password. As soon as I hit enter, the screen turns black with a small cursor in the top left corner, then after about two seconds it takes me right back to the login screen. I tried this with the Default Xsession, LXDE, and Openbox with the same result every time. Power cycling the board didn't help anything.

I'm running Wheezy Raspbian 2012.09, which came pre-installed on a HungryPi SD card.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Stuck at login

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:59 am

I've no idea what hungry pi is, but I would suggest 2 things : make your own sd card image from the downloads page, and secondly get a different PSU to power the Pi or a different keyboard. I suspect that the keyboard is repeating characters as you type.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

++bahjatk++

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:01 am

Welcome to the forum!
I think it is something with the pre installed SD Card you bought, it might be configured with another username and password.
But why does it show a cursor ? shouldn't the Pi login be in the CLI level ?

SimonSmall

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:05 am

Usually the correct Raspian login is with pi + raspberry. Usually you can see the results of typing pi, but the password does not show anything. You must be careful that you type the password correctly, and make sure that the caps lock key is not on.

However, the pi + rasperry login can be changed and is not correct for some other distributions

We need to know a few more things, as you state that you are using a preinstalled card from HungryPi. I would have expected some instructions to be included that give the correct login (I can't find anything using an internet search). You also mention trying login with "the Default Xsession, LXDE, and Openbox". Usually the login on a new install is done at the command line, but the implication of your statement is that you are using a GUI login window

Can you clarify the details of your card installation, in particular what you see when you try to login, including everything from when you connect the power?

c9ine

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:08 pm

When the board was running for the first time, it brought me to the config screen and the only option I changed was to boot at startup. After pressing continue, the board reset and then brought me to the GUI login screen. This is where I am entering the user name and password ("pi" and "raspberry"). If I mistype either the user name or password, I get an error message in the GUI stating that one of them is incorrect. If I type it correctly, the login GUI goes away, the screen turns black for a few seconds, and then the login GUI reappears. This makes me think that the keyboard/power supply is not the problem, because it would just tell me that my password was incorrect if it was mis-typing or repeating characters. It's acting like the user/password is correct, but something else is failing once the OS starts to load.

Some of the previous comments lead me to believe that I should be seeing a command-line style login screen, which I have never gotten access to since starting this process.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:14 pm

If you are able to get to the command line prompt again, you can type

Code: Select all

sudo raspi-config
.This will bring up the configuration setup page again. From there you can disable the auto GUI option.
Although I have never been prompted to enter a user and password to get into the GUI?????

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

dbuster

Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:05 am

I have the same problem. Upon the initial boot, I selected and set several options, including booting up directly into the GUI. Now, when the system starts up, I get the usual Linux wall-o-text, and then it goes to a GUI login screen. There is a small graphic in the center of the screen with a picture of a terminal and the words "raspberrypi" under it. There is a login window, and a drop down menu with options for "Default Xsession", "LXDE", and "Openbox". I no longer have an opportunity to get to a command line when I boot up. I am also using the Hungrypi distro.

pluggy

Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:36 am

dbuster wrote:I am also using the Hungrypi distro.
Theres a lesson in there somewhere. Its bad enough trying to keep on top of the 'Official' distros....
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Cloudcentric

Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:39 am

Do not use the HungryPi distribution, use the official Raspbian "wheezy" one...............

$20.00 yeah OK waste of money http://hungrypi.storenvy.com/products/1 ... spberry-pi
I know everything about nothing"

hungrypi

Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:37 am

Hello I am Ben the owner of HungryPi.com. I just wanted to let everyone know that we do use the official Raspberry Pi Foundation, Raspbian "wheezy" image.

We stand behind our products, feel free to message me!

I am just a fellow enthusiast trying to spread the Pi.
Ben at HungryPi.com

doctorwinters

Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:27 am

This same thing has happened to me. I'm stuck at a GUI login using Raspbian Wheezy. It does not recognize the standard password and I have not changed it. It happened after changing to startx automatically on startup but this did not occur for several reboots after. I have also been trying to wifi setup but it should not have done this.....

It also will no longer allow me to SSH in

rhub

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:11 pm

Hi all,

having a similar problem: Set up my pi and also configured with raspi-config the keyboard and set the ctrl+alt+backspace shortcut to "close" the x session. when doing this shortcut i get the window prompted where the user is preset to "raspberrypi", i have to type the password and can choose by dropdown the following options "Default xsession", "LCDE" and "OpenBox". So actually it's pretty much the same as dbuster already wrote. Didn't do a power cycle yet, and most of all don't want to do powercycles and kill all running processes.

However, i can ssh on the pi and do "startx" to start a new session, but still I'd like to know what password to choose, why the user is "raspberrypi" (the std user is pi, right?) and how to restart into the GUI without ssh'ing.

any information is appreciated,

rhub

rhub

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:26 pm

Hi all,

For all those who cannot ssh or cannot get a shell upfront try typing ctrl+alt+F1 (or F2 or F3). when doing this the shell opened for me and i could login with user "pi" and password "raspberry" if not changed. Got this from here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... on#p266444 (finally my french is paying off)

when logged on you can probably start the GUI by typing "startx", worked for me at least.

please apologize if my explanations may not be technically correct and linuxy :-)

rhub

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:38 pm

And one more thing:
Replies like "Theres a lesson in there somewhere...."
or
Do not use the HungryPi distribution, use the official Raspbian "wheezy" one...............
$20.00 yeah OK waste of money http://hungrypi.storenvy.com/products/1 ... spberry-pi"
are not very helpful.

Thank you hungrypi for your work, and trying to spread the raspberry, though i didn't look at it myself.

Always thought that in a forum you might find experienced users who would help (the only way for me to judge if one is an experienced user in a forum is the number of posts), but instead you get stupid comments and no help at all.....

anyway, hope my posts above could help somebody...

Dapgicc

Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:11 pm

Hey Guys, i got the same problem.. I am trying to run Emulationstation.

I go to the LXTerminal: Typ in emulationstation
Then it says some x programs are running. So i have to logout.

So i logout and i get this image on screen. https://twitter.com/Dapgicc/status/3517 ... 96/photo/1

sicklittlemonkey

Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:44 am

I found this thread first when I had this problem, but found an answer in another thread - so here is a link in case it helps others:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 28&t=27905

For me the login problem seemed to be caused by installing VNC, and the solution was:

chown pi:pi .Xauthority
Cheers,
Nick.

thuyxd86

Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:45 pm

A big help by Krzysztof Adamski!
http://www.faqoverflow.com/raspberrypi/1734.html

pinky

Thu May 14, 2015 7:57 am

I have also accidentally run into this situation when making correction of date and time.

Few posts above raspi-config is mentioned which has strike me..

I coudl not SSG to Rpi firts but after reboot (power off/power on) SSH was working.

I then run raspi-config
In the boot options selected to boot as pi user to desktop environment.

Aparently when running the config before in order to adjust date/time, this setting gets changed.

Hope this helps anyone.

sebi

Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:13 pm

Hi,

thanks for this post.

I had the same problem. It is accured when i was running the command

sudo startx /usr/bin/graphical_launcher `fgconsole` 
I need this to switch the screen on. Now I'm using the Library pi4j an run the programm as root.
Maybe somebody has the same problem. The soluten for me is now

su pi startx /usr/bin/graphical_launcher `fgconsole`
So everything works fine.

Sebi

XDMorgandi

Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:46 am

As soon as I use the command Startx it requires a Login and Password and does exactly the same as what everyone else is saying. Login works then Black Screen the login again? Tried using console login and It worked once and doesn't work again. Tried using raspi-config then changed boot options to login straight away but again worked once and doesn't work again? could I please have some help?

DirkS

Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:00 pm

XDMorgandi wrote:As soon as I use the command Startx it requires a Login and Password and does exactly the same as what everyone else is saying. Login works then Black Screen the login again? Tried using console login and It worked once and doesn't work again. Tried using raspi-config then changed boot options to login straight away but again worked once and doesn't work again? could I please have some help?
Check the amount of free disk space with

df -h

bilout

Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:17 pm

hi all,

i've got exactly the same pb of reccursive logging.

df -h give me this for the first line
Space Used Free %Used
/dev/root 3,6G 1,3G 2,2G 38

so i don't think that is un space problem even if my SD card is smaller than the recommended model

any other idea ?

Adco

Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:54 pm

I had the same problem after typing "startx". It kept asking me to enter username and password and would not accept pi and raspberry. I held cntrl + alt + F1 and it took me to the terminal. From there I somehow managed to hack my way back to normality.

Terrible bug!

DirkS

Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:22 am

Adco wrote:Terrible bug!
Bug? What bug?

BTW: what did you do to solve the problem?

ColinW236

Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:14 pm

Try updating it.

sudo apt-get update

Return to “Troubleshooting”