MichaIng

DietPi | Minimal image, highly extensible

Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:42 pm

DietPi is an extremely lightweight Raspberry Pi OS-based OS. It is highly optimised for minimal CPU and RAM resource usage, ensuring your RPi always runs at its maximum potential.

• Lightweight: Minimised footprint / resource utilisation
  • Easy: Simple installation interface
  • Rich: Huge bunch of ready to run software installation options
  • Featured: Additional command line system tools
  • Automated: Silent install option
Use dietpi-software to quick and easy install Ready to Run & Optimised applications for your system. DietPi will do all the necessary configurations, including starting the services.

DietPi is compatible with all RPi models and we offer a 64-bit image for RPi 2 PCB v1.2 and up, currently in beta stage, as the Raspberry Pi OS 64-bit is.

As we use the same kernel, firmware and repositories as the official Raspberry Pi OS, DietPi is fully compatible and can be manually customised following any valid guide for Raspbian/Raspberry Pi OS. We are in tight communication with the RPi developers to forward information and reported issues in both directions so that all RPi users can benefit.

Checkout our main website here: https://dietpi.com/
Download DietPi images: https://dietpi.com/#download
Read our documentation: https://dietpi.com/docs/
It contains good step-by-step installation instructions, getting started, a description of all supported software titles and further information.
Our community forum: https://dietpi.com/phpbb/
The GitHub repository: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi

DietPi is a free and open-source project. We are be happy if you consider to:
Last edited by MichaIng on Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

emma1997

Re: DietPi | Minimal image, highly extensible

Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:16 pm

It would be nice to provide the image in a format that can be unzipped on a regular Pi.

MichaIng

Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:53 pm

I was thinking to provide the images in xz format, but native 7z still has best compression ratio. You can extract it via p7zip, e.g. on APT-based distributions:

Code: Select all

apt update
apt install p7zip
7zr x DietPi_RPi-ARMv6-Buster.7z
Otherwise which format would you suggest in particular?

emma1997

Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:21 am

I was thinking standard .zip file that's compatible with all default Windows and Linux installations. Old or new. Or at least one that unzips with regular Pi built-in unzip utility.

IMO slight difference in compress ratio is not as important as compatibility. I start with a fresh install every time a new image comes out so try to avoid having to use a PC or peculiar programs to flash an SD.

hippy

Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:32 am

emma1997 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:16 pm
It would be nice to provide the image in a format that can be unzipped on a regular Pi.
When I installed DietPi a few days ago, I had to download to a Pi and extract on that, because the latest .7z file threw errors and failed to extract with whatever I have installed on my Windows machines.
MichaIng wrote:
which format would you suggest in particular?
All of them, and include the raw .img file. Let the user decide which download they want to take.

hippy

Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:52 am

MichaIng wrote:
As we use the same kernel, firmware and repositories as the official Raspberry Pi OS, DietPi is fully compatible and can be manually customised following any valid guide for Raspbian/Raspberry Pi OS.
I would mostly agree but am not entirely convinced. There is definitely something not right with telnetd/inetd which I have not been able to get working over the past few days.

Networking is fine, SSH works, I can access other servers on the DietPi Pi, just not the Telnet server; "Connection refused". That's pretty much a show-stopper for me though I appreciate it won't be for most people. But it does make me worry what else might not be "fully compatible" I haven't discovered yet.

When I get back to my adventuring I'll likely bring the issues up on the DietPi forum.

B.Goode

Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:00 am

I would be interested to know the relationship between the author of this thread, @michalng, and the long-standing forum member @fourdee4d.

The thread appears to be a re-vamp/re-launch of a five-year-old thread on the DietPi distro, here - viewtopic.php?f=63&t=100976#p699863

Is this a fork of the project, or is it under new management?

hippy

Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:23 am

B.Goode wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:00 am
I would be interested to know the relationship between the author of this thread, @michalng, and the long-standing forum member @fourdee4d.
From https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi I guess this explains it ...

Micha (MichaIng) - Project lead (20/02/2019 and onwards), source code contributor, bug fixes, software improvements, DietPi forum administrator.

Daniel Knight (Fourdee) - Project founder and previous project lead (19/02/2019 and previous), source code contributor and tester.

bensimmo

Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:41 pm

MichaIng wrote:
I was thinking to provide the images in xz format, but native 7z still has best compression ratio. You can extract it via p7zip, e.g. on APT-based distributions:

Code: Select all

apt update
apt install p7zip
7zr x DietPi_RPi-ARMv6-Buster.7z
Otherwise which format would you suggest in particular?
I would like it in whatever format I can just click on the Pi installer Other OS and Etcher and it does it for you.
No fancy zip formats needed.
I do know 7zip but it's an extra step and program for a few bits saved in a download.

MichaIng

Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:42 pm

Somehow my reply about the requested additional image archive formats was not submitted (?), so let me sum up this first:
  • Providing downloads in "all" formats is not possible from our side (limited SSD capacity, FOSS project depending on donations for VPS, limited VPS CPU and developer time). It is also not something common, at best two formats are offered (Raspberry Pi OS in zip only).
  • IMO for everything that is stored on the web, compression ratio has high priority (more of less than compatibility cannot be said as it cannot be compared that way). There are many users around the world with limited traffic/bandwidth or slow internet connection. So we'll stay with a high compression standard.
  • Just for fun I created a zip image: https://dietpi.com/downloads/images/Die ... Buster.zip 243 MiB vs 137 MiB, so more than "a few bits" ;)
    zip has lower compression ratio and lower speed than gzip, and the letter is better supported on all UNIX systems. zip is only used so widely because its still the only natively supported format in Windows explorer (is it? I didn't check back for a long time to be true.). Since installing 7zip/p7zip is pretty simple and saves you about 100x more traffic then the size of this installer/package only for this single download, yeah, that is my argument :).
    xz is Linux/Debian (sources, APT packages + lists) standard for a while now and since p7zip is not developed anymore, we'll probably switch to xz tarballs, but stay with LZMA.
    But let's not feed zombies ;).
bensimmo wrote: I would like it in whatever format I can just click on the Pi installer Other OS and Etcher and it does it for you.
You mean the (relatively new) Raspberry Pi Imager right? This is actually a stronger argument, considering that it is likely the most used start for new RPi owners. The used archive libraries actually support xz as well as 7z: https://github.com/raspberrypi/rpi-imag ... libarchive
But not sure if this has been compiled in or requires additional external dependencies. I'll have a closer look.
hippy wrote:There is definitely something not right with telnetd/inetd
At least the packages (there are plenty different implementations available) are the same as on official Raspberry Pi OS which in this case match the ones from Debian (same sources, but armv6hf build of course). Would you mind to open an issue on https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues if you still face issues, with journalctl + in case binary file logs attached?

What I have to admit in terms of compatibility, is that DietPi is pretty much stripped down, so in cases you need to install additional APT/DEB packages when following install instructions. APT/DEB packages (should) have solved this via dependencies (in rare cases those can be missing, then this needs to be reported to package maintainers), but especially 3rd party guides may expect certain packages to be installed already (e.g. expect what is shipped with Raspbian Lite at least). But good instructions list all dependencies aside of essentials.
B.Goode wrote: I would be interested to know the relationship between the author of this thread, @michalng, and the long-standing forum member @fourdee4d.
Thanks for asking. Basically @hippy gave the right link: Fourdee stopped maintaining the project due to personal circumstances, so I took over the lead. I thought I did already post on the old thread, something must have gone wrong on my last visit :?. I reopened a new thread here because of the looong time passed and as such threads fit better in this sub forum. Probably some moderator can close the old one.

scruss

Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:53 pm

MichaIng wrote:
You might want to do something about that logo, though:
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

MichaIng

Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:23 pm

scruss wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:53 pm
You might want to do something about that logo, though:
The logo was created not by me back in 2015, indeed it has obviously the shape of the RPi logo and I am not sure whether using it that way has been asked for. However DietPi has widely grown since then, has been recognised by RPi developers + we're regularly in contact to communicate back requests, issues and bugs related to kernel and firmware. Until now, no one asked us to change our logo, and since DietPi is by far mostly used on RPi (based on our survey statistics) I doubt that there is any interest in this. We're not a concurrent but a driver for RPi sales 8-). But generally a correct point.

About the kids, I'm often more scared by the characters of their toys, drawings and computer games then our glowing green face, but that's a different topic. Basically same as above, not my work and has been baked into the project for five years, so I'll not going to change that without law enforcement ;). Btw, the colour was different once, but not less scary :mrgreen:

bensimmo

Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:21 am

The RaspberryPi OS downloads don't use normal zip, not sure what it uses but I believe the compression is higher.
Though they recommend 7zip as normal.if the zip you have doesn't work, my RPi Installer does not work with your 7zip format (windows).

Have you looked at supplying torrents to ease downloads and make resuming better too. I much prefered that when I had very slow intermittent connections.(now I have excessive speed and data usage)
(Like RaspberryPi Trading do).
Unless I missed the link.

MichaIng

Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:51 am

While zip by default uses deflate compression algorithm, with a proper compression tool (like 7zip) you can also choose LZMA compression for a zip archive which achieves nearly the same compression ratio as 7z or xz with LZMA2. But, really I prefer to use the native container for the underlying format. If something supports LZMA-compressed zip archives, it should support 7z and (tar.)xz containers as well.
I'll have a look into the RPi installer, but for now, like it was the last six years, one can simply download, extract and flash the DietPi images via two tools which are each less than 1 MiB in download size, i.e. 7zip and Rufus or dd ;).

Torrents sound like a reasonable addition, but I never dealt with hosting torrent downloads. If someone can provide me the steps about how to set this up on a Debian-based (DietPi ;)) server with currently regular HTTP(S) downloads via Apache2 webserver, I'd be happy to give it a try.

rpdom

Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:31 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:21 am
The RaspberryPi OS downloads don't use normal zip, not sure what it uses but I believe the compression is higher.
Actually, the problem is that because of the size of some of the zipped images being over 4GB the zip64 format has to be used. The unzip supplied with some versions of windows and macos doesn't support zip64, so they fail to decompress the file.
Despite zip64 being around for many years.

The free 7zip program does support zip64 format.
Unreadable squiggle

lafalken

Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:05 pm

I have tested this several times and now I had a new test because I wanted to use Pi-hole on one my oldest pi and therefore looked for an alternative to raspberry OS lite that is not that lite with to many services running.

First time when logging on you get the chance to change password for package management and for the root, that's ok but I get that at the next boot as well. There should be an propose to setup an ordinary user with sudo access, because it is not recommend to use the root account as the only way to log on. I think boot that it would be better to stick with standard Debian behavior.

I use to setup my pi via network, ssh and when installing fail2ban and pi-hole I get the chance to setup static ip but there seems to be some problems with changing network ip and when I log onto the new ip it is looked on the old screen that was not responding, so I had to reboot.

When it comes to the package with 7zip, I must say that is just the best format, but it might be an good idea to ad an readme file with some instructions for how to log onto the system, user, password and maybe some other good stuff that is good to have in hand when starting the tour.

I where looking for a way to turn of the graphics port to save power and system resources, but could not find that option.

When it comes to the wireless support, it might be a smart way to make a file and put in the boot partiton like you do on the Raspberry Pi OS.

Looking forward to see this improve. Keep up the good work

Best regards
Leilf F

lafalken

Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:09 pm

MichaIng wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:51 am
While zip by default uses deflate compression algorithm, with a proper compression tool (like 7zip) you can also choose LZMA compression for a zip archive which achieves nearly the same compression ratio as 7z or xz with LZMA2. But, really I prefer to use the native container for the underlying format. If something supports LZMA-compressed zip archives, it should support 7z and (tar.)xz containers as well.
I'll have a look into the RPi installer, but for now, like it was the last six years, one can simply download, extract and flash the DietPi images via two tools which are each less than 1 MiB in download size, i.e. 7zip and Rufus or dd ;).

Torrents sound like a reasonable addition, but I never dealt with hosting torrent downloads. If someone can provide me the steps about how to set this up on a Debian-based (DietPi ;)) server with currently regular HTTP(S) downloads via Apache2 webserver, I'd be happy to give it a try.
Try use PeaZip. It is available on Windows. Try the conversion option in PeaZip on the zip archives of Raspberry Pi OS and you get almost half the size.

dustnbone

Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:36 pm

rpdom wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:31 pm
The unzip supplied with some versions of windows and macos doesn't support zip64, so they fail to decompress the file.
Despite zip64 being around for many years.

The free 7zip program does support zip64 format.
More specifically, Windows Vista and above support ZIP64 archives in Explorer. Mac OSX doesn't support it at all in the GUI archive manager but there are Terminal utilities included that do. One called "ditto" IIRC.

MichaIng

Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:29 pm

All our Raspberry Pi images (including the 64-bit image, the Amiberry and Allo GUI audiophile images) have been updated to current DietPi v6.34, including latest official package and kernel state.

Check out the release notes: https://dietpi.com/docs/releases/#decem ... ersion-634

craigevil

Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:13 pm

Can DietPi apps and repository be used on a regular Raspberry OS?
If so could you post the repository?
Raspberry PI 400 Raspberry Pi OS (Unstable) Kernel: 5.10.17-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"

Joulinar

Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:02 am

Hi,

DietPi has no own repository. Nearly all software applications will be installed from original source (same way as on plain Raspberry OS). On top a couple of automation/ configuration steps will be applied to reduce user efforts down to a minimum.
Last edited by Joulinar on Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other”