Giga_Pi
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

HOWTO: Install the GNOME Desktop Enviroment on Raspberry Pi OS lite (With new script)

Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:44 am

What is GNOME?

GNOME is the desktop that is the default for a number linux distro's on the internet. A few of the bigger ones are Ubuntu, openSUSE, Debian, Manjaro, Fedora... You get the idea.

Image

This screenshot is from ubuntu 20.04 on x64 PC

Before now, GNOME has been unusable. However, thanks to updates and Releases in the Raspberry Pi world, it is now possible to install GNOME onto Raspberry Pi OS.This guide is going to show you how.

This is not recommended for users with 1GB or less RAM, and this guide can't be used if you are using beta firmware.

MicroSD cards with 8GB or more is recommended, as GNOME can take up lots of space, and that's forgetting apps and files you may want to use.

You'll also need an Ethernet connection for the internet at first.

Let's get started.

Step 1: Setup

Flash your Pi with Raspberry Pi OS lite (either with Raspberry Pi imager, or a tool of your choice) then insert it into your Pi. We need to use Raspbian lite for this to work smoothly. Connect other peripherals (keyboard, mouse, etc) and boot up.

Login when prompted(username: pi, password: raspberry), then type in the shell prompt:

Code: Select all

sudo raspi-config
from there, you want to change the password (option 1), then change the openGL driver (advanced options -> openGL driver (it may want to install soem packages. When prompted to continue, press return) -> fake KMS), then exit.

It will ask to reboot. Don't reboot! Not yet. We've got the next stage.

Step 2: Install


Now here, you have a choice.

There are two methods: we can either do it manually, or through GNOME for Pi.

What is GNOME for Pi?

Gnome for Pi is a script I built to make installing GNOME much easier.

To use GNOME for Pi, type in the following:

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/TerraGitHuB/gnomeforpi.git && cd gnomeforpi && sudo bash gnomeforpi-install.sh
And leave it to do it's thing.


The "Hard" Way

To install gnome, type:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update && sudo apt install xorg gnome gnome-shell --no-install-recommends
When prompted, press return on your keyboard. This will install all the packages. Grab a drink! This will take a while.

Step 3: Configure

After the install, reboot.

After booting, you may get a significant difference: You've got a login screen. From here, select user pi. now, you may be tempted to type in your password. Don't quite yet. Instead, click the cog wheel near the underneath where you type your password. From here, click "GNOME on xorg". Now you are safe to type your password and login.
Screenshot from 2020-06-15 07-10-39.png
Screenshot from 2020-06-15 07-10-39.png (71.96 KiB) Viewed 4567 times
You should now come to the desktop. You may be wondering where your apps are. Click "activities" at the top left of the screen. From here, type "tweaks". Several applications may appear. You want to click on "tweaks".

Once this application is loaded, you want to turn animations off. Next, you want to got into extensions, and enable "user shell themes" or something close to that.

Note: Not required for GNOME for Pi

Close tweaks, and go into the terminal. From here, type:

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl disable dhcpcd
sudo /etc/init.d/dhcpcd stop
sudo reboot
This will restart the Pi. Login again, and you'll find you can connect to wi-fi networks.

Note: This is unnecessary if you used GNOME for Pi

Now, let's change some of the permission settings, so then we no longer require to change root's password:

Code: Select all

cd /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/
sudo cp 50-localauthority.conf  60-localauthority.conf
sudo nano 60-localauthority.conf
then remove all the text and replace with:

Code: Select all

[Configuration]
AdminIdentities=unix-user:pi
Note: This is not required for GNOME for Pi


Now, let's fix some of the audio:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/pulse/default.pa

to change this:

Code: Select all

load-module module-udev-detect
to this:

Code: Select all

load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0
Give it a reboot, and everything should be working.

One last thing. If you want to be able to add, remove, and enable extensions from chromium, then install using apt:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install chrome-gnome-shell
then install the gnome shell chrome extension for chromium.

Your done! You now have GNOME desktop on your Pi, running fairly well.

For the shell theme in the ubuntu screenshot, perhaps look over here:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/yaru-theme

Thanks to:

Sirozha
Ghostraider
kerry_s
itsmedoofer

And a special thanks to Moderators here, who have pinned this to the Raspberry Pi OS section.

This is my first ever guide, so if you have any critisism, I'll try to accept it graciously.


GNOME for Pi source code is here: https://github.com/TerraGitHuB/gnomeforpi and here: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=277678

Thank you!

Giga_pi
Last edited by Giga_Pi on Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:09 am, edited 11 times in total.
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Pi4 4GB @2GHz GPU@750MHz with ubuntu 20.04

itsmedoofer
Posts: 421
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:43 am
Location: Canterbury, Kent, UK
Contact: AOL

Re: HOWTO: Install the GNOME Desktop Enviroment on Raspberry Pi OS lite (version:1.2)

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:45 pm

Hi,

I took this for a run around the block today..

First off you HAVE to use Lite as a base, GNOME will not install on a desktop image, there are held package clashes..

The guide gets you into a GNOME desktop, great stuff !

There is the usual issue with applications that need superuser privileges, gparted or synaptic, asking for root or administrator rather than the user pi.. You can fix this with....

Code: Select all

cd /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/

Code: Select all

sudo cp 50-localauthority.conf  60-localauthority.conf

Code: Select all

sudo nano 60-localauthority.conf
Delete the existing text and replace with:-

Code: Select all

[Configuration]
AdminIdentities=unix-user:pi
I had a mess about with themes trying to get something that looked like the first photo, getting them installed is not as easy as you would think, it would appear that the tools for automatically installing them are not available for ARM... Some shell bashing required.. Also if the OP knows the name of the theme shown, that would nice to list in the guide.

Speed wise, even running from an SSD it was a bit laggy, I use Cinnamon as my daily driver on my Pi4 4Gb and even with it blinged up with effects and desk-applets it was still noticeably quicker than GNOME.

I didn't try audio, however if it's using Pulse then there could well be issues, look at some of the other threads for the fixes..

Laters,

Giga_Pi
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: HOWTO: Install the GNOME Desktop Enviroment on Raspberry Pi OS lite (version:1.2)

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:02 pm

itsmedoofer wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:45 pm
Hi,

I took this for a run around the block today..

First off you HAVE to use Lite as a base, GNOME will not install on a desktop image, there are held package clashes..

The guide gets you into a GNOME desktop, great stuff !

There is the usual issue with applications that need superuser privileges, gparted or synaptic, asking for root or administrator rather than the user pi.. You can fix this with....

Code: Select all

cd /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/

Code: Select all

sudo cp 50-localauthority.conf  60-localauthority.conf

Code: Select all

sudo nano 60-localauthority.conf
Delete the existing text and replace with:-

Code: Select all

[Configuration]
AdminIdentities=unix-user:pi
I had a mess about with themes trying to get something that looked like the first photo, getting them installed is not as easy as you would think, it would appear that the tools for automatically installing them are not available for ARM... Some shell bashing required.. Also if the OP knows the name of the theme shown, that would nice to list in the guide.

Speed wise, even running from an SSD it was a bit laggy, I use Cinnamon as my daily driver on my Pi4 4Gb and even with it blinged up with effects and desk-applets it was still noticeably quicker than GNOME.

I didn't try audio, however if it's using Pulse then there could well be issues, look at some of the other threads for the fixes..

Laters,
Thank you for your contribution!

The theming is from ubuntu. This is just a screenshot from a normal PC. I've added a link to the package.

Audio out of audio jack is mono, but I found bluetooth audio was prestine.

A nice theme I like is this: https://github.com/vinceliuice/ChromeOS-theme

with this icon theme: https://github.com/vinceliuice/Tela-icon-theme

Is it alright if I add the code above to my original post?

Thanks!

Giga_Pi
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Pi4 4GB @2GHz GPU@750MHz with ubuntu 20.04

itsmedoofer
Posts: 421
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:43 am
Location: Canterbury, Kent, UK
Contact: AOL

Re: HOWTO: Install the GNOME Desktop Enviroment on Raspberry Pi OS lite (version:1.2)

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Giga_Pi wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:02 pm

Thank you for your contribution!

The theming is from ubuntu. This is just a screenshot from a normal PC. In case it does exist, the theme for ubuntu is called yaru.

Audio out of audio jack is mono, but I found bluetooth audio was prestine.

A nice theme I like is this: https://github.com/vinceliuice/ChromeOS-theme

with this icon theme: https://github.com/vinceliuice/Tela-icon-theme

Is it alright if I add the code above to my original post?

Thanks!

Giga_Pi
Hi,

No worries !!

Ahh cool, made a note for future reference.

You may be able to fix mono audio with the following, I've not tried it with GNOME but it works with Cinnamon...

Code: Select all

sudo nano /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/profile-sets/default.conf
and comment out (insert the semicolon in front of) the following lines:

Code: Select all

;[Mapping analog-mono]
;device-strings = hw:%f
;channel-map = mono
;paths-output = analog-output analog-output-lineout analog-output-speaker analog-output-headphones analog-output-headphones-2 analog-output-mono
;paths-input = analog-input-front-mic analog-input-rear-mic analog-input-internal-mic analog-input-dock-mic analog-input analog-input-mic analog-input-linein analog-input-aux analog-input-video analog-input-tvtuner analog-input-fm analog-input-mic-line analog-input-headset-mic
;priority = 7
Distorted audio may be fixed with:-

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/pulse/default.pa
Change this:

Code: Select all

load-module module-udev-detect
to this

Code: Select all

load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0
I'll have a play with those themes and icons later, thanks...

Of course, feels free to do whatever you want, these are only snippets I have found elsewhere on the board, I cant claim any credit ! :-)

Giga_Pi
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: HOWTO: Install the GNOME Desktop Enviroment on Raspberry Pi OS lite (version:1.2)

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:20 pm

itsmedoofer wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:14 pm
Giga_Pi wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:02 pm

Thank you for your contribution!

The theming is from ubuntu. This is just a screenshot from a normal PC. In case it does exist, the theme for ubuntu is called yaru.

Audio out of audio jack is mono, but I found bluetooth audio was prestine.

A nice theme I like is this: https://github.com/vinceliuice/ChromeOS-theme

with this icon theme: https://github.com/vinceliuice/Tela-icon-theme

Is it alright if I add the code above to my original post?

Thanks!

Giga_Pi
Hi,

No worries !!

Ahh cool, made a note for future reference.

You may be able to fix mono audio with the following, I've not tried it with GNOME but it works with Cinnamon...

Code: Select all

sudo nano /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/profile-sets/default.conf
and comment out (insert the semicolon in front of) the following lines:

Code: Select all

;[Mapping analog-mono]
;device-strings = hw:%f
;channel-map = mono
;paths-output = analog-output analog-output-lineout analog-output-speaker analog-output-headphones analog-output-headphones-2 analog-output-mono
;paths-input = analog-input-front-mic analog-input-rear-mic analog-input-internal-mic analog-input-dock-mic analog-input analog-input-mic analog-input-linein analog-input-aux analog-input-video analog-input-tvtuner analog-input-fm analog-input-mic-line analog-input-headset-mic
;priority = 7
Distorted audio may be fixed with:-

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/pulse/default.pa
Change this:

Code: Select all

load-module module-udev-detect
to this

Code: Select all

load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0
I'll have a play with those themes and icons later, thanks...

Of course, feels free to do whatever you want, these are only snippets I have found elsewhere on the board, I cant claim any credit ! :-)
I've added the code to change the permissions. Thanks!

I might test that code to see whether I can get audio up and running for the audio jack.

@itsmedoofer Thanks for your hep in making this guide better.
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Pi4 4GB @2GHz GPU@750MHz with ubuntu 20.04

Giga_Pi
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: HOWTO: Install the GNOME Desktop Enviroment on Raspberry Pi OS lite (With new script)

Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:04 am

A few updates have been added. We now have audio working through the headphone jack, and I've also added my easier script if you can't be bothered to configure stuff (although audio still needs a fix).
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Pi4 4GB @2GHz GPU@750MHz with ubuntu 20.04

User avatar
kerry_s
Posts: 1029
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Re: HOWTO: Install the GNOME Desktop Enviroment on Raspberry Pi OS lite (With new script)

Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:38 am

Giga_Pi wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:04 am
A few updates have been added. We now have audio working through the headphone jack, and I've also added my easier script if you can't be bothered to configure stuff (although audio still needs a fix).
here's what i put in /boot & just run after log in " cd /boot; ./gnome.sh "

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
sudo apt update; sudo apt -y full-upgrade; sudo apt -y autoremove; sudo apt clean

sudo apt install -y gnome-session gnome-shell nautilus gedit gnome-terminal seahorse gnome-tweaks eog gnome-screenshot rpi-chromium-mods

sudo sh -c 'echo "[Configuration]" >> /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/51-admin.conf'
sudo sh -c 'echo "AdminIdentities=unix-group:sudo;unix-group:admin" >> /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/51-admin.conf'

sudo sed -i 's/load-module module-udev-detect/load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0/g' /etc/pulse/default.pa

sudo systemctl disable dhcpcd.service

sudo reboot

exit 0

User avatar
kerry_s
Posts: 1029
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Re: HOWTO: Install the GNOME Desktop Enviroment on Raspberry Pi OS lite (With new script)

Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:40 am

for budgie:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
sudo apt update; sudo apt -y full-upgrade; sudo apt -y autoremove; sudo apt clean

sudo apt install -y lightdm budgie-desktop nautilus gedit gnome-terminal eog gnome-screenshot rpi-chromium-mods

sudo sh -c 'echo "[Configuration]" >> /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/51-admin.conf'
sudo sh -c 'echo "AdminIdentities=unix-group:sudo;unix-group:admin" >> /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/51-admin.conf'

sudo sed -i 's/load-module module-udev-detect/load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0/g' /etc/pulse/default.pa

sudo systemctl disable dhcpcd.service

sudo reboot

exit 0

Giga_Pi
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: HOWTO: Install the GNOME Desktop Enviroment on Raspberry Pi OS lite (With new script)

Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:29 am

kerry_s wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:38 am
Giga_Pi wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:04 am
A few updates have been added. We now have audio working through the headphone jack, and I've also added my easier script if you can't be bothered to configure stuff (although audio still needs a fix).
here's what i put in /boot & just run after log in " cd /boot; ./gnome.sh "

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
sudo apt update; sudo apt -y full-upgrade; sudo apt -y autoremove; sudo apt clean

sudo apt install -y gnome-session gnome-shell nautilus gedit gnome-terminal seahorse gnome-tweaks eog gnome-screenshot rpi-chromium-mods

sudo sh -c 'echo "[Configuration]" >> /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/51-admin.conf'
sudo sh -c 'echo "AdminIdentities=unix-group:sudo;unix-group:admin" >> /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/51-admin.conf'

sudo sed -i 's/load-module module-udev-detect/load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0/g' /etc/pulse/default.pa

sudo systemctl disable dhcpcd.service

sudo reboot

exit 0
Ah, nice.

Is it all right if I add some of this code to my script?
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Pi4 4GB @2GHz GPU@750MHz with ubuntu 20.04

User avatar
kerry_s
Posts: 1029
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Re: HOWTO: Install the GNOME Desktop Enviroment on Raspberry Pi OS lite (With new script)

Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:41 am

Is it all right if I add some of this code to my script?
of course, i'm all about sharing. modify away :D

i'm to lazy to put to much effort into scripting/coding, i'm old, retired, that's not my job anymore. :lol:

Giga_Pi
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: HOWTO: Install the GNOME Desktop Enviroment on Raspberry Pi OS lite (With new script)

Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:12 pm

kerry_s wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:41 am
Is it all right if I add some of this code to my script?
of course, i'm all about sharing. modify away :D

i'm to lazy to put to much effort into scripting/coding, i'm old, retired, that's not my job anymore. :lol:
Thanks, I've implemented some of your code. I even learnt a new command today, so thank you!

I'm testing now.
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Pi4 4GB @2GHz GPU@750MHz with ubuntu 20.04

Giga_Pi
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: HOWTO: Install the GNOME Desktop Enviroment on Raspberry Pi OS lite (With new script)

Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:10 am

Audio issues continue.

I do have a feeling that I know what the problem is.

Whilst you wait for the fix, I suggest that if you have bluetooth headphones you use those instead. Bluetooth audio works without modification.
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Pi4 4GB @2GHz GPU@750MHz with ubuntu 20.04

Giga_Pi
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: HOWTO: Install the GNOME Desktop Enviroment on Raspberry Pi OS lite (With new script)

Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:04 am

Animations are now disabled by default with GNOME For Pi script.

Audio issues still persist (only audio output appearing as "Dummy Output")

Again, I recommend bluetooth for the time being.
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Pi4 4GB @2GHz GPU@750MHz with ubuntu 20.04

Giga_Pi
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: HOWTO: Install the GNOME Desktop Enviroment on Raspberry Pi OS lite (With new script)

Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:10 am

Audio Fixed, but in mono.
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Pi4 4GB @2GHz GPU@750MHz with ubuntu 20.04

visnaut
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:33 pm

Re: HOWTO: Install the GNOME Desktop Enviroment on Raspberry Pi OS lite (With new script)

Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:46 pm

First off, thank you for this thread and all of the tips & suggestions. I decided to go with the tasksel route to install GNOME, and then used the subsequent steps outlined above to get everything working well.

I'll be using a Pi 4 for my daughter's distance learning for the coming school year, but was looking for a friendlier-looking desktop, and I am so pleasantly surprised how well GNOME is running on this little machine, even with animations turned on.

Here's a few additional tips that may help others:
  • VNC:
    • GNOME Settings app has a Screen Sharing option in the settings app. It's based on vino, which is no longer maintained.
    • As an alternative, you can use the the default RealVNC Server, but it won't work out of the box with Wayland, which the GNOME install defaulted to for me. See below for instructions on how to switch to Xorg, which will allow full VNC functionality.
  • Xorg instead of Wayland:
    • On the login screen, you can click the gear icon, and choose "Gnome on Xorg". It will remember the setting for that user.
    • gdm itself will use Wayland, so you'll have to modify /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf, and make sure the following is uncommented:

      Code: Select all

      WaylandEnable=false
  • To expand on Giga_Pi's Yaru suggestion to customize GNOME to look a little more like Ubuntu:
    • Theme: From Yaru's LaunchPad page, scroll down, expand the latest version (currently 20.04.8) scroll down, and you'll see a few .deb files. Download gnome-shell, gtk, icon, and sound files, and you can then install all of them from the same folder using sudo apt install ./*.deb.
    • Yaru Colors is a great alternative if orange isn't your thing.
    • Install the ttf-ubuntu-font-family package
    • Install the Dash to Dock GNOME extension.
    • Use the Tweaks app (gnome-tweaks) to enable the above.

Giga_Pi
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: HOWTO: Install the GNOME Desktop Enviroment on Raspberry Pi OS lite (With new script)

Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:48 am

visnaut wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:46 pm
First off, thank you for this thread and all of the tips & suggestions. I decided to go with the tasksel route to install GNOME, and then used the subsequent steps outlined above to get everything working well.

I'll be using a Pi 4 for my daughter's distance learning for the coming school year, but was looking for a friendlier-looking desktop, and I am so pleasantly surprised how well GNOME is running on this little machine, even with animations turned on.

Here's a few additional tips that may help others:
  • VNC:
    • GNOME Settings app has a Screen Sharing option in the settings app. It's based on vino, which is no longer maintained.
    • As an alternative, you can use the the default RealVNC Server, but it won't work out of the box with Wayland, which the GNOME install defaulted to for me. See below for instructions on how to switch to Xorg, which will allow full VNC functionality.
  • Xorg instead of Wayland:
    • On the login screen, you can click the gear icon, and choose "Gnome on Xorg". It will remember the setting for that user.
    • gdm itself will use Wayland, so you'll have to modify /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf, and make sure the following is uncommented:

      Code: Select all

      WaylandEnable=false
  • To expand on Giga_Pi's Yaru suggestion to customize GNOME to look a little more like Ubuntu:
    • Theme: From Yaru's LaunchPad page, scroll down, expand the latest version (currently 20.04.8) scroll down, and you'll see a few .deb files. Download gnome-shell, gtk, icon, and sound files, and you can then install all of them from the same folder using sudo apt install ./*.deb.
    • Yaru Colors is a great alternative if orange isn't your thing.
    • Install the ttf-ubuntu-font-family package
    • Install the Dash to Dock GNOME extension.
    • Use the Tweaks app (gnome-tweaks) to enable the above.
I'm glad you liked it!

Yes, I recommend Xorg as well.

FYI I've been able to get google meet to recognise the Pi camera and use it successfully. I've not really tried Zoom or others, but it should work.
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Pi4 4GB @2GHz GPU@750MHz with ubuntu 20.04

frednet
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:48 pm

Re: HOWTO: Install the GNOME Desktop Enviroment on Raspberry Pi OS lite (With new script)

Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:38 am

Has anyone got any idea why Gnome won't install on the Raspbian desktop version? I get an error about gnome-core dependencies but I'm not sure what the dependency is. I really don't want to have to re-install my whole system to try Gnome!

Giga_Pi
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Re: HOWTO: Install the GNOME Desktop Enviroment on Raspberry Pi OS lite (With new script)

Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:44 pm

frednet wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:38 am
Has anyone got any idea why Gnome won't install on the Raspbian desktop version? I get an error about gnome-core dependencies but I'm not sure what the dependency is. I really don't want to have to re-install my whole system to try Gnome!
Did you follow this guide, or use just did a

Code: Select all

sudo apt install gnome
?
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Pi4 4GB @2GHz GPU@750MHz with ubuntu 20.04

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”