i had a problem installing raspbian on my pi at first. i downloaded the image and uncompressed it. the thing was, the hard drive i decompressed it onto had 1.3G of space left, and the img file was supposed to be 1.8G... so when i dd'ed it to the SD card, everything seemed to be working fine, but i wasn't able to do the debian update, or set the keyboard codeset, or get it to boot into X after setting that option in the setup. it was quite a while of tinkering before i figured out "gee, there's a lot of broken stuff in this system, maybe i should download another copy and reinstall. i even double-checked the compressed file's md5 hash to make sure it WAS correct, which it was. when i went to download another copy, firefox didn't complain, but didn't download the file either. so i tried to wget it, and that's what told me "the target drive is full". so i spent a while moving files off the disk, deleted the 1.3Gb img file, re-extracted the 1.8Gb img file and reinstalled it.. so that was my experience with a buggy pi. right now i have apache2, mysql, php, TOR, torchat, and an XMPP chat server loaded and running on it, among other things, and it's been cooking along for a week now. i noticed what appears as a memory leak when you run certain programs, but it seems to drop cache space back to the system whenever it needs to. i've also noticed with all of this stuff running, it occasionally uses a little bit of swap space. i suppose you could run
as a cron job every 6 or 12 hours to keep memory usage squared away.