This is a beta test of the Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit)
We still recommend the 32 bit operating system for all Pis at this time, although have decided it is now time to begin the move toward a 64bit OS. For the moment this is a 'beta' program, the OS is in heavy flux and its functionality is likely to change significantly over the next few months.
Note, the 64bit OS is only install-able on the Pi 3 and Pi 4 devices
https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspi ... -arm64.zip
Please Download this image and use the Raspberry Pi Imager Tool (https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ ) to write to an SD card
1) There is no hardware video acceleration in VLC or Chromium
2) libraspberrypi0, libraspberrypi-dev and libraspberrypi-doc have been moved out of /opt/vc/* and into /usr/* instead (making it more standard). Any code built against these libraries will require changing to refer to a more standard location (/usr/lib/ rather than /opt/vc/lib)
3) Due to 2) Many packages that expect libGLESv2.so libEGL etc will require rebuilding.
4) raspberrypi-bootloader and raspberrypi-kernel contain useless non-64bit binaries and is missing the work done to minimise the delay between files being deleted and installed to /boot
5) There is no Wolfram Mathematica built for AArch64
6) Minecraft shim layer requires rebuilding to cope with 2)
7) VLC needs rebuild (not available)
8) VNC server not rebuilt yet for 64bit
Issues with 64bit image
I'll update this post as new issues are found / fixed.
For any issues found with this OS, which are distinct from the 32bit OS, please use the following for highlighting issues:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/Raspberr ... bit/issues
If you have comments you want to post in the forum post them in the sticky here: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=275372
not elsewhere in the forum.