do2651

Running a 12v strobe light with a raspberry 4

Sun May 24, 2020 5:11 am

I need to be able to run a 12v strobe light for a school project. I know I need an external power source, since the rpi has a max output of 5v. I also purchased a 12v volt relay (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0721 ... _qh_dp_hza). I'm having issues figuring out what else I would need and how to properly wire it. I'm also not exactly sure how to isolate the 12v power from going to the rpi. Any help at all, or at least point me in the right direction, would be greatly appreciated.

pcmanbob

Re: Running a 12v strobe light with a raspberry 4

Sun May 24, 2020 8:21 am

Well your chosen relay board also works at 12V so you can't control it directly from the pi either , because connecting IN1,IN2 to the pi gpio would connect 12V to the pi gpio killing your pi.

So you will need to set the on board jumpers to low level trigger and then use either a transistor interface or an opto isolator interface between the pi and the relay board.

suggested interface circuit.

We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

hippy

Re: Running a 12v strobe light with a raspberry 4

Sun May 24, 2020 2:46 pm

do2651 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:11 am
I need to be able to run a 12v strobe light for a school project.
Do you have product details of this "strobe light" ?

Some have two terminals and flash whenever the power is applied. Others have three terminals, two permanently connected to 0V/12V, the other an 'enable/inhibit' input. That may be directly compatible with a Pi output, or able to be driven without a relay.

Return to “Other projects”