RaspbianUser1

Micro sd to usb adapters

Sun May 24, 2020 4:28 am

I need to make a backup micro sd card for a just in case and would like to use the sd card copier feature on a pi, meaning no external pc.

All of the adapters i have seen have been too expensive for what it is or cheap and plastic.

Can’t seen to find anything, im looking for a simple adapter the size of a normal usb memory stick which will work with the raspberry pi (i have had issues in the past) and is generally a good product eg build and quality, I have searched ebay only to find junk and plastic things and amazon doesn’t seem to tell me whether it will work on a pi ( i checked questions and reviews)

Maybe anyone who knows one could send the name of it so i can have a look :)
don't format your sd because someone said so.

W. H. Heydt

Re: Micro sd to usb adapters

Sun May 24, 2020 5:16 am

Search through ads for microSD cards. A couple of mine came with just the sort of adapter you're looking for.

LTolledo

Sun May 24, 2020 5:53 am

using one from the dollar store... work fine with me
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

HawaiianPi

Sun May 24, 2020 7:00 am

RaspbianUser1 wrote:
Can’t seen to find anything, im looking for a simple adapter the size of a normal usb memory stick which will work with the raspberry pi
...and amazon doesn’t seem to tell me whether it will work on a pi (i checked questions and reviews)
Any USB card reader should work with the Pi. I have a bunch of them and they all work. I did have one really old USB 2.0 model that had trouble writing images, but even that one worked fine for reading and writing files.

The Rocketek RT-CR5 is a nice USB memory stick sized model with USB 3.0 and the ability to take either a full size or micro SD card without an adapter. It's currently only $7.99 on Amazon with a 5% off coupon.

For use with a Pi I would want something smaller, like the SanDisk MobileMate USB 3.0 Reader, or this <$5 generic USB 3.0 reader sold under a bunch of different names. The small ones do tend to get a bit warm when writing images, but I haven't had any problems.
USB3uSD320.jpg
USB3uSD320.jpg (19.73 KiB) Viewed 378 times

RaspbianUser1 wrote:
(i have had issues in the past)
What kind of issues?

RaspbianUser1 wrote:
All of the adapters i have seen have been too expensive for what it is or cheap and plastic.
Define too expensive?

RaspbianUser1 wrote:
Put your location in your profile for more specific suggestions.

I have 2 from Rocketek, a dual slot model from Alxum, a SanDisk Mobilemate USB 3.0, and a whole bunch of generic ones with no name brand. I use the USB 3.0 models most, because they are faster, but I often keep a cheap USB 2.0 one plugged into each Pi with a backup SD card.

I think the SanDisk was the only one that cost me more than $10, the rest ranged in price from less that $2 to $8.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

fruitoftheloom

Sun May 24, 2020 7:17 am

RaspbianUser1 wrote:
I need to make a backup micro sd card for a just in case and would like to use the sd card copier feature on a pi, meaning no external pc.

Can’t seen to find anything, im looking for a simple adapter the size of a normal usb memory stick which will work with the raspberry pi (i have had issues in the past) and is generally a good product eg build and quality, I have searched ebay only to find junk and plastic things and amazon doesn’t seem to tell me whether it will work on a pi ( i checked questions and reviews)

There is nothing specific to a Raspberry Pi, any USB SD SDXC Card Reader will function.

In the UK some Poundland Stores stock cheap but perfectly functioning ones, just like the ones on eBay...
Rather than negativity think outside the box !

Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer.

HawaiianPi

Sun May 24, 2020 8:44 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:17 am
There is nothing specific to a Raspberry Pi, any USB SD SDXC Card Reader will function.
Good point. Make sure it's SDXC compatible. I would think most would be nowadays, but it doesn't hurt to double-check.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

RaspbianUser1

Sun May 24, 2020 12:49 pm

Thanks for all of your ideas, given me confidence for when i buy one :)

Edit: i want to use a sdhc card for the adapter, i saw a suggestion to xc adapter but I don’t need a sd card that big, will a xc adapter work or do I need a hc(using a 32gb sandisk hc card)

fruitoftheloom

Sun May 24, 2020 1:02 pm

RaspbianUser1 wrote:

Edit: i want to use a sdhc card for the adapter, i saw a suggestion to xc adapter but I don’t need a sd card that big, will a xc adapter work or do I need a hc(using a 32gb sandisk hc card)

SDXC future proofing and backward compatible to SDHC:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card
Rather than negativity think outside the box !

Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer.

RaspbianUser1

Sun May 24, 2020 1:08 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:02 pm
RaspbianUser1 wrote:

SDXC future proofing and backward compatible to SDHC:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card
I did just find that, but I also found another website which says it can’t but wiki is more often right than some random website

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun May 24, 2020 1:37 pm

I'm a 'tad late to comment here, but, FWIW, here are my (now somewhat historical) notes on various USB card readers (some of which were supplied with cards):
https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_p ... aders.html
and this is the one I use with my P4B's: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_p ... oSD_Reader
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

RaspbianUser1

Tue May 26, 2020 6:21 pm

UPDATE

Thanks again for all of the help I ended up going with this https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microS ... 558&sr=8-2
and the adaptor I bought https://www.amazon.com/Beikell-High-spe ... 126&sr=8-1

Both worked with no troubles, can report that the sd is real to my knowledge
The adaptor is nice quality, not the best but has a case and is USB 3.0 averaging at around 60mbps I would say.

Hope this helps someone who needs an adaptor

emma1997

Tue May 26, 2020 7:02 pm

USB3 type was smart. They allow you to backup in about one 5th the time and automatically cover other requirements mentioned here. I prefer the $2 Ebay ones which seem to behave better than some costing many times more purchased locally.

Paul Hutch

Wed May 27, 2020 5:16 pm

My two favorites are:
https://www.iogear.com/product/GFR204SD/
https://www.tripplite.com/usb-3.0-super ... ~U352000SD

The side slot feature on these makes getting the card out very easy.

Return to “General discussion”