thirtywinter

How to properly shut down?

Sat May 23, 2020 11:42 pm

Hi,
First post for me here. :)

I started playing around with the raspberry pi4B today (my first raspberry ever matter of fact) and I am using raspbian as an OS. I have noticed that whenever I shut down via either the terminal or the GUI the fan keeps on running and the red light (I am assuming that is what it is) is solid red.

I am just wondering if this is normal behavior and if I can safely turn off the power at that point? Especially being concerned about the file integrity of the SD card and whatnot. (Or for that matter any USB devices or drives I might use later on)

So nothing to worry about?

RaspbianUser1

Re: How to properly shut down?

Sun May 24, 2020 2:14 am

Best practice to safely turn your pi off by using a command

Code: Select all

shutdown now
rather than pulling the cable out, you can safely pull the cable out after the 10 green quick flashes happen on the led indicators
don't format your sd because someone said so.

klricks

Sun May 24, 2020 2:19 am

thirtywinter wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:42 pm
Hi,
First post for me here. :)

I started playing around with the raspberry pi4B today (my first raspberry ever matter of fact) and I am using raspbian as an OS. I have noticed that whenever I shut down via either the terminal or the GUI the fan keeps on running and the red light (I am assuming that is what it is) is solid red.

I am just wondering if this is normal behavior and if I can safely turn off the power at that point? Especially being concerned about the file integrity of the SD card and whatnot. (Or for that matter any USB devices or drives I might use later on)

So nothing to worry about?
It is normal for the RED power LED to stay on after shutdown.
Shutdown does not turn off the 5V power so anything connected to 5V will not turn off until you remove the power cable or disconnect the power supply from AC mains.

When shutting down the green LED will flash 10 times. (For my RPi that happens in about 10 or 15 seconds). After that it is safe to remove power.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

RaspbianUser1

Sun May 24, 2020 2:22 am

^ ;) :)
don't format your sd because someone said so.

thirtywinter

Sun May 24, 2020 7:35 am

Ah, ok. Thank you all. :)

PeterO

Sun May 24, 2020 7:50 am

See https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... _config.md for how to configure the shutdown state.
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Return to “Beginners”