DeadliestFox

Pi 4B booting to black screen

Sat May 23, 2020 8:01 pm

Hello! I just received my Raspberry Pi 4b and I flashed the latest Raspbian Buster on my 16gb Micro SD card (Formatted in Fat32). I however can't get any response from it. The ATC light flashes irregularly and the CPU is heating up as well indicating that it is booting from what I've seen. My monitor doesn't display "No Signal" or anything similar, just a pure black screen.

Is there any way I can "confirm" that it is actually booting or not? I should also add that it's a clean first install, meaning I haven't installed any software prior. I did play around a little with the config file, trying all different options listed in the stickied forum post about them not booting.

Any help would be appreciated!

pcmanbob

Re: Pi 4B booting to black screen

Sun May 24, 2020 10:00 am

Hi.

With your SD card back in your PC add a file call ssh or ssh.txt to the fat partition ( its the only one seen by windows )

then with SD card back in pi and pi connected to router with LAN cable, boot the pi.

Now got to your routers web interface and look for the connected devices page and see if your pi has an IP listed.

If it does then you can SSH in from you PC.

then from the command line you can run

Code: Select all

tvservice -m DMT

tvservice -m CEA
to see if you screen is detected and what resolutions it supports.

You do have the HDMI cable connected in the HDMI socket nearest the power socket on your pi don't you ?
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

Return to “Troubleshooting”