WhatTheDickens

Error -110 whilst initializing SD card

Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:36 pm

I can't boot up my new Pi :?

I successfully (I think!) set up my SDHC card using the instructions for "Copying an image to the SD card in Mac OS X (mostly graphical interface)" here:

http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup

I used the 2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian.zip.torrent. Checksum checked out. All the files seem to be there when I look at the card on my Mac. But when I try to boot up, I get this line over and over

mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card

Eventually, the screen just goes black.

I looked at this page for updating the firmware

http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... re_version

However, these instructions don't appear to include an option for Mac OS. By the way, the green light seems to blink in a 4-pattern, indicating loader.bin not launched, but loader. bin isn't included in the installation I did (i.e., writing the image didn't put that file on my card), and various pages I've looked at indicate that this file is no longer necessary.

Jim JKla

Re: Error -110 whilst initializing SD card

Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:31 pm

Sorry you had to wait nine days for a reply.

But you did the right thing dropping the link into another post the other option is to reply to your own post so it bumps back to the top of the list the forum has such a high turnover. It is not good news yet because I'm a Windows Linux kind of guy but with a little bit of nudging I'm sure there will be Mac people here soon. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

WhatTheDickens

Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:50 pm

Thanks for responding. I hope someone has some ideas. Meanwhile, I'll take your advice and bump the original query back up every so often.
Jim JKla wrote:Sorry you had to wait nine days for a reply.

But you did the right thing dropping the link into another post the other option is to reply to your own post so it bumps back to the top of the list the forum has such a high turnover. It is not good news yet because I'm a Windows Linux kind of guy but with a little bit of nudging I'm sure there will be Mac people here soon. ;)

SirLagz

Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:35 pm

I had the same issue with my Micro SD card inside an Adapter.
Re-Imaged it again and it seemed to work ok after that.
Have you tried re-imaging the SD Card ?
Are you using a plain SD card or Micro SD Card inside an adapter ?
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044

WhatTheDickens

Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:53 pm

I've imaged it twice - same result both times. I'm using a Dane-Elec 4GB SDHC. I ordered it from Allied Electronics together with the Pi and an enclosure.
SirLagz wrote:I had the same issue with my Micro SD card inside an Adapter.
Re-Imaged it again and it seemed to work ok after that.
Have you tried re-imaging the SD Card ?
Are you using a plain SD card or Micro SD Card inside an adapter ?

M33P

Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:45 pm

WhatTheDickens wrote:I can't boot up my new Pi :?

I successfully (I think!) set up my SDHC card using the instructions for "Copying an image to the SD card in Mac OS X (mostly graphical interface)" here:

http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup

I used the 2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian.zip.torrent. Checksum checked out. All the files seem to be there when I look at the card on my Mac. But when I try to boot up, I get this line over and over

mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card

Eventually, the screen just goes black.

I looked at this page for updating the firmware

http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... re_version

However, these instructions don't appear to include an option for Mac OS. By the way, the green light seems to blink in a 4-pattern, indicating loader.bin not launched, but loader. bin isn't included in the installation I did (i.e., writing the image didn't put that file on my card), and various pages I've looked at indicate that this file is no longer necessary.
Error -110 is a timeout. If the card works in your PC but not on your Pi, then the only thing that (really) changes when you move it between the two is the connector in which it sits.

The bootloader in the Pi is a very simple ROM that will read bootcode.bin from the SD card and then run it. bootcode then loads the GPU firmware blob and the linux kernel image. This 2-stage approach allows the GPU firmware and kernel to be arbitrary since they live on the SD card. My bet is that the first stage does this in a very basic SD card mode (that all SD cards must employ when they power up) but when the kernel copied from the SD card tries to use the SD card with its all-singing all-dancing driver it fails.

In short: pins. The leaf-sping pins inside the socket have been known to dislodge/be stuck/gunked up as a result of the soldering process. Are there any that look out of alignment vertically? They should also be springy in their plastic slots.

WhatTheDickens

Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:43 pm

Thanks! The pins look good to me and feel springy, but here's a photo. Am I missing anything?
PINS_photo.JPG
PINS_photo.JPG (22.29 KiB) Viewed 11376 times

M33P

Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:32 pm

What happens when you power on the pi whilst putting pressure on the SD card over where the pins are?

I.e. pinch it gently with your thumb on the SD card and your index finger on the plastic ribbon connector on the topside?

Jim JKla

Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:44 pm

Or a plastic clothes peg/pin the type that uses a spring. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

pluggy

Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:28 pm

First thing I'd try is a different SD card. The Pi can be tetchy about 'em and the fact that it works on another computer doesn't mean a whole lot.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Jim JKla

Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:41 pm

I agree a new card is a good bet. I only mention the clothes peg as this was one of the first temp fixes by a user with a smashed SD card holder. ;)

Alimian

Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:57 pm

I have precisely the same problem! I also purchased my Rpi from allied electronics along with their starter kit which had a case, sd card, power supply, hdmi cable etc... I used a MacBook Pro to set up the sd card just like the original poster, and used the same exact protocol to save the .img file to the ad card... This seemed to work fine, and the sd card had some files on it after the protocol...the startup recognizes my mouse and keyboard but then gives the 110 error exactly as above... Perhaps the problem is Allied electronics and faulty sd connectors? The contacts look fine and I tried squeezing the card as suggested, this made no difference...please help!! Very disappointing... Ali in Chicago

pluggy

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:25 pm

Same advice, try another SD card. I'd make it a plain class 4 and not too big......
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

WhatTheDickens

Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:40 am

Okay: Bought a PNY 4GB Class 4, and ... success!

It's kind of irritating that the starter kit was sold with an incompatible card, but I'm so thrilled about finally getting launched that I'm not sweating it right now.

Thanks, everyone, for the help!

Jim JKla

Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:42 am

Would not do any harm to contact the kit supplier with some feedback. ;)

WhatTheDickens

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:29 pm

Yep. I've done that. Kinda feel like this information also belongs on the wiki page for SD cards at http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards, but as a noob I'm hesitant to create a wiki account. (Lots of experience with wikis, just next-to-none with Linux.) The Mfr. Part# for the Dane-Elec is DA-SD-4096-R if anyone with a wiki account cares to add it to the list as "nok". Based on Alimian's post above, I don't seem to be the only person who has had a bad experience with this particular card.

Jim JKla

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:52 pm

There is no better place to learn than on this wiki you will have lots of ADVICE from the wiki admin but don't worry try and be respectful humble self depricating and they will back off.

Eventually :D

Make sure you goto the help there's a section about categories (they get a bit flaky about that but aslong as you have the Category RaspberryPi you should be ok.

Make sure you put something in your profile you click on your name once you have your login note the way the e-mail is structured

This is what i put in mine

Code: Select all

* Native Geordie (NE England) Newcastle upon Tyne resident.
* Currently a freelance I.T./Network support engineer.
* Builder of Linux boxes and webservers from re-cycled hardware.
* Uru Age (Virtual 3D worlds) Builder (J'Kla) using Blender. 
* Scoreboard Support provider for Newcastle Eagles Basketball UK BBL.
* Programme Publisher/Editor Newcastle Benfield F.C.
* Former contactor rollout engineer for P&G and others. 
* Former RAF Motor mechanic/fitter.
* IT user since the Sinclair Spectrum Launch.
* Still using XP and Ubuntu/Linux sucessfully resisting move to Vista/Win7 (spit).

Email: jimclark.jkla AT gmail DOT com
Putting stuff on the wiki is another step towards geekdom. ;)

This is a RapberryPi wiki and there are only about a dozen members over 1 year old ;)

dbough

Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:47 pm

I got the same issue with the same model card from the same vendor (Allied).

gxwarr

Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:04 pm

I also am having the same problem with the same sd card, same kit bought along with the PI, although i am using Windows 7 / Ubuntu, not Mac. Im happy to find this post, ill try a different sd card. I read before that it was a power problem. Ive tried so many different micro usb cables / plug combos. I used all different wires from different Android phones that ive had and also the one from my SGS3 that I read works. I couldnt understand why one of the plugs at least wouldnt work.
I was just about to buy some more micro usb wires to try but luckily i found this post. Ill give it a shot tonight!

HDenekamp

Tue May 09, 2017 7:54 am

I have exactly the same problem. The only problem perceived is that the bluetooth adapter and wireless interface is not found, it boots correctly otherwise. However, when I put the same SD card in another RaspberryPi, it doesn't give the error and the bluetooth adapter and wireless interface do work. Anyone know what the problem might be?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue May 09, 2017 8:45 am

An impressive thread necro - might be the oldest one so far!

That said, valid question and related!

Have you tried a different SD card?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

jfraga88

Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:18 am

Hey all,

I have the same issue. I just bought a new Samsung 32GB 95MB/s (U1) MicroSD EVO because it was apparently the best performer and I still get that message. Everything else is working properly. But I won't mess around with buy new cards for now. I am just curious about the error.

Joaquin

Return to “Troubleshooting”