falcojugger

Multiple server build

Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:31 am

Hey guys,

I have a couple of things in mind to host using the raspberry pi.
these things include:

1. website
2. email
3. voip
4. game (counterstrike like)
5. home (fileserver)

currently I am hosting the website and email somewhere else.
I want to bring it all together and it would be lovely to do so using the raspberry pi.

I guess it is not possible using only one pi, but I've read about a lego supercomputer where multiple raspberries are clustered. (read about it here: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~sjc/raspberrypi/)

My question:
is it possible to host all of the 5 things above using a supercomputer like build?

My doubts:
- Number of raspberries needed is too high
- I dont have needed bandwidth to host these things at the same time (nothing to do with the pi)
- Can't be clustered for multiple jobs, just one at a time
- The build is not useful. I've read about using Mumble at a single pi as a VOIP solution. 5 Slots was doable, but I need more. Don't know if thats possible. (need like at least 10, max 25)

Any information would be helpful. I just want to make sure before I buy like 10 raspberries.
Thank you in advance.

Kind regards

permaband

Re: Multiple server build

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:10 am

pi clusters are only really attractive from a power consumption pov. the cost and hassle can become prohibitive. I'd be tempted to try 2-3 as a load balanced httpd cluster but wouldn't try running a game server tbh.

for what you want an atom board would be a better idea. I just hacked the guts out a 'broken' samsung n130 I got off ebay for £15. upraded the sodimm with a 2gb module and wired it up to an old gold standard psu I had kicking around.

falcojugger

Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:03 pm

what about the rest? Is it possible to use the raspberry pi as a VOIP server for 10-25 slots?

permaband

Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:43 pm

Return to “Networking and servers”