Djelibeybi

Oracle Linux 7 and 8 now available for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B/B+ and Raspberry Pi 4

Tue May 12, 2020 9:03 pm

Hey folks,

Oracle recently released our latest Arm port of Oracle Linux which now supports both the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B/B+ and Raspberry Pi 4 Model B, so we thought we should come here and let all of you know!

The image is available for download here: https://www.oracle.com/linux/downloads/ ... loads.html

Installation instructions are here: https://docs.oracle.com/en/operating-sy ... ll-pi.html

Oracle Linux itself is free to download, distribute and use on both x86_64 and Arm architectures with all errata and updates freely available on yum.oracle.com too.

This is the OS that's powering our Raspberry Pi Supercomputer too: viewtopic.php?t=252370 -- and the folks who built that are currently building the Raspberry Pi 4 version (which yes, needs a lot of cooling).

I'm one of the Oracle Linux PMs (and owner of more Raspberry Pi's than I care to admit), so feel free to ask any questions.
Last edited by Djelibeybi on Mon May 18, 2020 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Senior Manager
Oracle Linux and Virtualization Product Management

Opinions are my own. Pronouns are he/him/his.

rpdom

Re: Oracle Linux 7 now available for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B/B+ and Raspberry Pi 4

Wed May 13, 2020 6:37 am

Thank you for the interesting news. I may give it a try later.

I like your username. I suspect we may have some interests in common :)
Unreadable squiggle

Djelibeybi

Re: Oracle Linux 7 now available for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B/B+ and Raspberry Pi 4

Wed May 13, 2020 7:13 am

Thanks. If you have any questions or issues, just let me know. We should be releasing Oracle Linux 8 Update 2 soon too and I'll be sure to let everyone know when that happens.

And my username suits anyone who likes worlds that sit on the backs of four elephants who stand on the shell of the Great A'tuin.
--
Senior Manager

rpdom

Wed May 13, 2020 8:33 am

Djelibeybi wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:13 am
Thanks. If you have any questions or issues, just let me know. We should be releasing Oracle Linux 8 Update 2 soon too and I'll be sure to let everyone know when that happens.

And my username suits anyone who likes worlds that sit on the backs of four elephants who stand on the shell of the Great A'tuin.
I have no idea what you mean (he says, looking at his groaning bookshelves, various pictures and other artefacts (some signed), oh, and the wife who I met via a Discworld related event. :D
Unreadable squiggle

Djelibeybi

Re: Oracle Linux 7 and 8 now available for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B/B+ and Raspberry Pi 4

Mon May 18, 2020 8:12 pm

Hey folks,

Just a heads-up that we've released Oracle Linux 8 Update 2 for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B/B+ and Raspberry Pi 4: https://www.oracle.com/linux/downloads/ ... loads.html

Enjoy!
--
Senior Manager

procount

Re: Oracle Linux 7 and 8 now available for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B/B+ and Raspberry Pi 4

Wed May 20, 2020 3:22 pm

Looks like this uses UBoot and possibly UEFI.
Is it modifiable such that it can be relocated to other partitions? (i.e. is it sufficient to strip out UBoot and boot the kernel using the standard Raspberry pi bootloader, or does it need something more?)
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Djelibeybi

Wed May 20, 2020 5:10 pm

procount wrote: Is it modifiable such that it can be relocated to other partitions? (i.e. is it sufficient to strip out UBoot and boot the kernel using the standard Raspberry pi bootloader, or does it need something more?)
Good question. I can (and will) ask our kernel devs, but in the meantime, I guess you could just try it and see if it works. :)
--
Senior Manager

Djelibeybi

Thu May 21, 2020 8:19 pm

procount wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:22 pm
Is it modifiable such that it can be relocated to other partitions? (i.e. is it sufficient to strip out UBoot and boot the kernel using the standard Raspberry pi bootloader, or does it need something more?)
From our boot engineer: "It should work but have not tried it . One needs to update config.txt and cmdline.txt under /boot/efi to point to the kernel, initramfs and device tree image (inorder to bypass the uboot). copy those imgaes under /boot/efi/. I would suggest to have a backup of original config.txt to restore the system back."
--
Senior Manager

geev03

Fri May 22, 2020 12:02 pm

Djelibeybi wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:03 pm
Hey folks,

Oracle recently released our latest Arm port of Oracle Linux which now supports both the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B/B+ and Raspberry Pi 4 Model B, so we thought we should come here and let all of you know!

I'm one of the Oracle Linux PMs (and owner of more Raspberry Pi's than I care to admit), so feel free to ask any questions.
Thank you for the links.

Got this much using the following.

Code: Select all

yum groupinstall "Server with GUI"
There is a problem with wifi - ( no wifi adapter found , how can one enable the wifi adapter on RPi4 in Oracle linux?) .
Also, it will be nice to know if the screen resolution can be increased to full HD / UHD .
Attachments
Oracle Linux Server 8.2_RPi_4_4.jpg
Oracle Linux Server 8.2_RPi_4_4.jpg (149.56 KiB) Viewed 261 times

Djelibeybi

Fri May 22, 2020 6:51 pm

geev03 wrote:
There is a problem with wifi - ( no wifi adapter found , how can one enable the wifi adapter on RPi4 in Oracle linux?) .
Also, it will be nice to know if the screen resolution can be increased to full HD / UHD .
To be honest, I'm guessing the answer is going to be "You can't" to both of these questions: Oracle Linux is a server-oriented distribution so getting things like wifi and GUIs to work isn't a focus for us. Our Raspberry Pi builds is based off our work porting Oracle Linux to the new Ampere Altra and Cavium ThunderX2 and ThunderX3 Arm platforms, which are both cloud/server class.

However, I'd ask the team and see what they say, just in case.
--
Senior Manager

geev03

Sat May 23, 2020 9:56 am

Djelibeybi wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:51 pm
geev03 wrote:
..... Our Raspberry Pi builds is based off our work porting Oracle Linux to the new Ampere Altra and Cavium ThunderX2 and ThunderX3 Arm platforms, which are both cloud/server class.

However, I'd ask the team and see what they say, just in case.
Thank you for the quick response.
It wasn't difficult to get full HD resolution( please see the attached screen grab) by making changes to config.txt.

Enabling wifi may be useful to those who would like to explore the system for use other than purely as a server.
Is the Oracle Linux 8.2 (Arm64) , readily available as a docker image (for use ,like others like Debian, Ubuntu, Alpine etc ) on rPi4 Raspbian?
Attachments
OrfacleLinux_pi4_fhd_wifi.jpg
OrfacleLinux_pi4_fhd_wifi.jpg (147.98 KiB) Viewed 202 times

Djelibeybi

Sat May 23, 2020 10:09 am

Yes, there is an official Oracle Linux image available for both x86_64 and Arm: https://hub.docker.com/_/oraclelinux

And thanks for the config.txt info for full HD.
--
Senior Manager

Return to “Other”