Mega_Squid

Audio through HDMI

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:54 am

Hi all I am a noob obviously and I'm having trouble getting audio to play through the HDMI instead of the audio jack. How do I change it so it will play through the HDMI on my TV? I like to use mocp in order to play music files off my thumb drive, but it will only play through the audio jack and the sound quality is horrible.

Ps: I did use the search bar just haven't been able to find anything :/ If i missed a topic could you please direct me to it?

Liuqahs15

Re: Audio through HDMI

Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:03 am

I'm in the same boat my friend : (

Unfortunately, as of now it seems that most people (even the foundation) advise that you do a search through google rather than the site search bar. Here's the only topic I've found to be useful:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=5062

But just barely, unfortunately. I've gotten audio through analog on my headphones, but I can't hear anything through HDMI no matter what monitor I plug it into. I'll come back with an update if I find a solution

malakai

Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:32 am

Here's some steps

How To – Configure Sound

edit config.txt
sudo nano /boot/config.txt
Uncomment # hdmi_drive=2

# Force the monitor to HDMI mode so that sound will be sent over HDMI cable
hdmi_drive=2

The rest is just an fyi

To get sound out the headphone jack type:

sudo modprobe snd_bcm2835
sudo amixer cset numid=3 1

To get sound out the HDMI

sudo amixer cset numid=3 0

Trouble with omxplayer

set the -o output for 3.5 audio jack

omxplayer -o local

set the -o output for hdmi

omxplayer -o hdmi
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

Jim JKla

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:08 am

I am going to test and rework these instructions for Noobs using the wiki if thats ok with you malakai ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

Mega_Squid

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:36 am

malakai wrote:Here's some steps

How To – Configure Sound

edit config.txt
sudo nano /boot/config.txt
Uncomment # hdmi_drive=2

# Force the monitor to HDMI mode so that sound will be sent over HDMI cable
hdmi_drive=2

The rest is just an fyi

To get sound out the headphone jack type:

sudo amixer cset numid=3 1

To get sound out the HDMI

sudo amixer cset numid=3 0

Trouble with omxplayer

set the -o output for 3.5 audio jack

omxplayer -o local

set the -o output for hdmi

omxplayer -o hdmi
Thanks a ton for the quick responses, I tried all of those thing and haven't had any luck. I will make sure to post the solution when i find it :)

Mega_Squid

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:37 am

Liuqahs15 wrote:I'm in the same boat my friend : (

Unfortunately, as of now it seems that most people (even the foundation) advise that you do a search through google rather than the site search bar. Here's the only topic I've found to be useful:

But just barely, unfortunately. I've gotten audio through analog on my headphones, but I can't hear anything through HDMI no matter what monitor I plug it into. I'll come back with an update if I find a solution
I'm looking into that link right now it seems promising.

Liuqahs15

Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:34 pm

Mega_Squid wrote:
Liuqahs15 wrote:I'm in the same boat my friend : (

I'm looking into that link right now it seems promising.
If you've already tried the above instructions, you'll have little luck. The only information aside from what's been already said about config.txt is that you should post your edid dump by typing "tvservice -d [file name here]" and that'll dump some info about your tv. When I do that, though, the file is just garbage.

Apparently, there may be some required parser for the data that is output, but I really don't know. I wouldn't know how to install it or (worst of all) compile it if necessary. I'm starting to think the pi might be a lot to take on for an actual beginner who knows nothing about linux or hardware.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:09 pm

Liuqahs15 wrote: Apparently, there may be some required parser for the data that is output, but I really don't know. I wouldn't know how to install it or (worst of all) compile it if necessary. I'm starting to think the pi might be a lot to take on for an actual beginner who knows nothing about linux or hardware.
There are certainly a few areas that need some more extensive documentation - that will come with time. There's lots of people out there who have got all this stuff working, so it's not impossible - keep at it - you are learning all the time!!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Mega_Squid

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:56 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, but did this topic ever actually get solved? Has anyone had any luck?

jfornango

Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:38 am

If you read the thread referenced up top (http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=5062), you'll note that it is mostly fixed.

I say mostly because you need to get some info from your system and, if your TV has a mode that is compatible, you'll have to adjust your config.txt.

I supposed the next step is to get someone to script a quick hdmi_fix script that will do the work for us.

If I can't find anything, give me a few days to get my RPi set up (just got it two days ago), and I'll see what I can do.
I'm only wearing black until they find something darker.

Return to “Beginners”