GalacticLion7

Search bar?

Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:08 pm

Is it just me, or does Raspbian doesn't even have a SEARCH BAR? Many times when I install program it just go to a black hole because apparently it never gets added to the menu.

klricks

Re: Search bar?

Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:27 pm

GalacticLion7 wrote:
Is it just me, or does Raspbian doesn't even have a SEARCH BAR? Many times when I install program it just go to a black hole because apparently it never gets added to the menu.
Try rebooting and see if it appears in the menu.
Not every program installation includes (or needs) a menu item. That is up to the whim of the author.
Look for information on the author or maintainers web site or Google.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

scruss

Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:34 pm

No, it doesn't. Raspbian Desktop is still a lightweight UI, and search bars with indexing are very heavy. Yes, your phone has a search bar, but it also has a large commercial entity behind it and a walled garden for installing programs.

Some programs don't have menu items as they're meant to run from a terminal. What did you install that's missing?
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:42 pm

GalacticLion7 wrote:
A search bar to do what? Just do a Google search of the internet, or search the local machine for something?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Application's Team.

GalacticLion7

Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:37 am

klricks wrote:
GalacticLion7 wrote:
Not every program installation includes (or needs) a menu item. That is up to the whim of the author.
scruss wrote:
No, it doesn't. Raspbian Desktop is still a lightweight UI, and search bars with indexing are very heavy. Yes, your phone has a search bar, but it also has a large commercial entity behind it and a walled garden for installing programs.

Some programs don't have menu items as they're meant to run from a terminal. What did you install that's missing?
jamesh wrote:
GalacticLion7 wrote:
A search bar to do what? Just do a Google search of the internet, or search the local machine for something?

I meant a spotlight search bar on your dock where you can search for programs.

It's not just on a phone. Every desktop environment I've used had it. I just find it incomplete and hard to navigate without one.

And that menu bar doesn't make it that much better. Sometimes, apps like Transmission and PuTTY never get added there, and there isn't a way of opening them without having to open the terminal.

Even if it might slow down the performance, I think we should still have the option to keep it, especially when there are beefier Pis available like the 4GB Model B.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:56 am

GalacticLion7 wrote:
klricks wrote:
GalacticLion7 wrote:
scruss wrote:

jamesh wrote:
GalacticLion7 wrote:

It's not just on a phone. Every desktop environment I've used had it. I just find it incomplete and hard to navigate without one.

And that menu bar doesn't make it that much better. Sometimes, apps like Transmission and PuTTY never get added there, and there isn't a way of opening them without having to open the terminal.

Even if it might slow down the performance, I think we should still have the option to keep it, especially when there are beefier Pis available like the 4GB Model B.

You can customise the Menu:

Preferences - Main Menu Editor

kerry_s

Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:58 am

isn't that what alt+f2 does?

jamesh

Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:16 pm

GalacticLion7 wrote:
Still not entirely sure what you mean. So, you start typing the name of a program and it find it and runs it for you?

The problem here as I see it is that the executable names of many Linux apps are non obvious (gpicview is the image viewer IIRC). Would you want it to fuzzy search for things like "image viewer" then find the appropriate Linux app - that sort of thing?
GalacticLion7 wrote:
They should be automatically added to the menu when installed. If not, you can can add you own menu items, although it's a bit clunky (or was, might have been improved)

TBH, there may already be a taskbar plugin that already does this, I've not checked.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Application's Team.

scruss

Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:00 pm

GalacticLion7 wrote:
Every other desktop (Mac, Windows) has a much more powerful processor and a commercial entity behind it to pay for UX development. I would love to have this on a Raspberry Pi too, but I don't think the (development/support/memory/CPU) resources are there.

I suspect you could install Gnome Tracker to add this function to Raspbian Desktop, but it would be deathly slow to index and likely go explodey for a lot of people. Tracker is about the only search/indexer available for Linux that is still maintained, and it has problems. 90% of web search results for "Gnome Tracker" are usually related to "How do I remove Gnome Tracker?".

I like and use Tracker, but on a beefy i7 with lots of RAM. Even then, I have to watch it carefully as there are some files that cause an indexing process to crash. If you're lucky, it'll make one core hit 100% CPU until you delete the file or move it to an untracked folder. I've got quite good at this over the years.

Ubuntu for Raspberry Pi might have this feature. I've never tried it.
jamesh wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:16 pm
Still not entirely sure what you mean. So, you start typing the name of a program and it find it and runs it for you?
Yes, like the Windows key calling up Windows Search or ⌘-Space to bring up Spotlight on a Mac.
TBH, there may already be a taskbar plugin that already does this, I've not checked.
I couldn't find a preinstalled one. I really don't think anyone at the RPF would be ready for the amount of grief that Ubuntu gets from users for including Tracker. It's been Not Ready for Prime Time for more than a decade.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

kerry_s

Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:30 pm

so your looking for this, like i have on my raspbian lite + gnome-core
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-04-07 07-28-27.resized.png
Screenshot from 2020-04-07 07-28-27.resized.png (175.08 KiB) Viewed 2053 times

scruss

Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:20 pm

That looks a lot like the Tracker UI I know and swear at, yes.

durapensa

Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:54 pm

@GalacticLion7 did you find an answer to your question about a quick-search feature for Raspberry Pi Desktop?

I looked for an alternative to the default LXPanel Menu-plugin that includes a search for all applications that LX is aware of (e.g. the Main Menu Editor, alacart, is aware of them all) but didn't find any.

scruss

Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:28 pm

I just tried installing tracker, but it doesn't start any of the necessary services and it quits almost instantly.

durapensa

Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:31 pm

I found a nice lightweight tool for this, rofi (in the raspberrypi deb archive). and set it up with a keyboard shortcut Super-S. In /home/pi/.config/openbox/lxde-pi-rc.xml:

Code: Select all

<keybind key="W-s">
      <action name="Execute">
        <command>rofi -show run</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>

scruss

Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:04 pm

I'd never heard of rofi before, but it looks useful: thanks.

It doesn't seem to have a desktop search function, though. It can find commands, but unlike Spotlight, Windows Search and tracker, it can't find files by name or content.

durapensa

Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:18 pm

There's a rofi file-browser plugin at https://github.com/marvinkreis/rofi-fil ... r-extended

scruss

Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:42 pm

Useful(ish), but still not a search bar. A proper search bar (for me, at least) allows you to enter, say carto, and it will return all programs with the term in the name, and all documents with the search term inside them. It requires an external file indexing process. Windows Search, Mac OS Spotlight and Tracker under Gnome all do this, and I find it hard to live without on the desktop

durapensa

Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:52 pm

@scruss you'll not find a lightweight search bar with full file indexing. You might try a command line utility like Recoll, Xapian or Tracker, and integrate that with rofi (some scripts exist already for this integration) or, for a heavyweight search bar alternative try Albert or Ulauncher or, for something more drastic a different desktop environment altogether from the default (modified lx) such as GNOME (which uses tracker).

durapensa

Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:34 pm

For a more native Raspberry Pi look for rofi (install with sudo apt install rofi), try the rofi theme https://github.com/durapensa/rofi/raw/n ... raspi.rasi (save to pi home directory).

With this xml section in /home/pi/.config/openbox/lxde-pi-rc.xml (enables Super-S to activate rofi):

Code: Select all

<!-- Keybindings for running applications -->
    <keybind key="W-s">
      <action name="Execute">
        <command>rofi -modi drun -show drun -show-icons -font "PibotoLt 12" -theme /home/pi/raspi.rasi</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>

Then run openbox-lxde --reconfigure for the changes to apply to your current session.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”