RobCranfill

Re: new Raspberry Pi Imager doesn't see Micro SD card

Sat May 23, 2020 5:43 pm

I just ran into this problem - my SD card wasn't recognized by Imager, even tho everything else on my Windows machine could see it.

Then I noticed the card - an old-school full-sized SD card, not a micro card - was locked: the little tab on the side was set to the 'locked' position.

I unlocked it, tried again, and now Imager sees the card. Ya might call this a bug in Imager; I would.

DougieLawson

Sat May 23, 2020 6:05 pm

RobCranfill wrote:
I unlocked it, tried again, and now Imager sees the card. Ya might call this a bug in Imager; I would.
With microSD cards in adapters there's no lock. Every RPi since the 2014 B+ uses micro SD. So your feature request has a very small potential user base.

The code is open source https://github.com/raspberrypi/rpi-imager so there's nothing to stop you adding that new feature and doing a pull request.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

I'll do your homework for you for a suitable fee.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

davidcoton

Sat May 23, 2020 8:38 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
With microSD cards in adapters there's no lock.
The two brands of adapter I have (RPi and Sandisk) both have lock sliders on the adapters themselves, so it still can be an issue.
Solution is the same, though.
Signature retired

incognitum

Sun May 24, 2020 8:30 am

DougieLawson wrote:
RobCranfill wrote:
With microSD cards in adapters there's no lock. Every RPi since the 2014 B+ uses micro SD. So your feature request has a very small potential user base.
It used to show read-only devices in early versions.
But those have been hidden later because the read-only devices also included a lot of things that are not a SD card nor USB stick, like open .DMG files on Mac OS X.

B.Goode

Sun May 24, 2020 9:27 am

RobCranfill wrote:
I just ran into this problem - my SD card wasn't recognized by Imager, even tho everything else on my Windows machine could see it.

Then I noticed the card - an old-school full-sized SD card, not a micro card - was locked: the little tab on the side was set to the 'locked' position.

"Ya might call this a bug in Imager; I would."

You are welcome to your view. I would call it a sensible design choice.

The primary purpose of Raspberry Pi Imager is to write an image to the designated output device, often - but not exclusively - an SD, or microSD, card. If the card is write-locked it can't be written to, so not listing it as being available as a target for writing seems entirely consistent.

andreabefuen

Fri May 29, 2020 8:50 am

OH MY GOOOOOOD
I've been like 2 hours trying to figure out WHY I can't use Raspberry Pi Imager and it was the scroll down!

thanks btw!

RobCranfill

Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:54 pm

I see that the "locked cards don't show up" is already reported as issue #59 on GitHub. I didn't realize this was open source, I will look there first in future! :-)

Botspot

Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:05 pm

Yes, the scroll down problem has been very frustrating, myself included.
I opened an issue on their GitHub page, and they FIXED IT!
:) :D :mrgreen:
Want to make your own Raspbian image?
  • Hard way: Mess with confusing terminal commands.
  • Easy way: Let Pi-Power-Tools do it all for you!
Boot your image in a VM, Flash from the Internet at top speed, Mount (to drop files in), Edit partitions, Shrink/Expand, Repair, and more. Enjoy! :)
https://github.com/Botspot/Pi-Power-Tools

Return to “Beginners”