raspi_ninja

Experimenting with something. Looking for volunteers

Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:57 am

Hi... I am a Product Manager at a startup where our aim is to use technology to empower the underprivileged and bring them internet. As a result, a farmer would have better access to weather reports and their children would have access to study materials, all of it for free.
We have developed a product to help provide internet/internet like services, in countries like India and Nigeria, using Raspberry Pi.

The OS will be ready in almost a week for testing. If you own a Raspberry Pi and would like to be a part of the experiment to see if our OS works fine, provide us feedback on how to improve and hence, help us in our endeavor.
The engineers would be able to share further details on this front, should you plan to opt-in and be a part of this test. You can DM me in case you wish to try this out and I will put you in touch with our hardware and software engineers while giving more details about the project.

I hope I am posting in the right section. If not, request the admins to direct this post to the right section.

P.S. We may be open to giving away a small freebie to 5 people who choose to volunteer, after the experiment and contribution. Since it is a startup with very very limited resources as of now, not sure how much or what would we be giving, but we can promise something.
Look at this as an impact project, if you plan to contribute by being a part of it.
Last edited by raspi_ninja on Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

pcmanbob

Re: Experimenting with something. Looking for volunteers

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:31 am

Hi.

I presume you meant PM not DM as in Private Message.

As this forum does not allow private messages between users you will need to supply another means of contacting you.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

raspi_ninja

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:46 pm

You may drop an email to [email protected]
Last edited by raspi_ninja on Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:31 pm

Sounds like Khan Academy and some of the add-on/wrapper programs for it. Not to disparage your project, but--nice wheel you've got there--It's Been Done Before.

Heater

Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:02 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:31 pm
Sounds like Khan Academy and some of the add-on/wrapper programs for it. Not to disparage your project, but--nice wheel you've got there--It's Been Done Before.
Could you elaborate on that likeness for us?

I don't see any similarity between the Khan Academy and what our OP described.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

raspi_ninja

Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:42 pm

We are trying to bring together a lot of content like Exam Preparation, News, sports, weather updates for farmers, etc. on a local server. We are in the process of concluding our first phase of the OS and hence, the request for help with testing, given that the members would be able to help us refine the project.

This is basically for people who do not current internet access but may benefit from the same. So in countries like India and Nigeria, where Internet penetration is still less than 50%, this may be a value add. That's how I see it.

Which is why I requested the help from the community. In case this idea sounds interesting, the numbers on our sheet is telling us that we may empower close to 1,000,000 people in the first year. If some of the community member volunteers help us test it, it may be beneficial.

Which is why I shared my email id here. In case someone thinks they would want to participate in the experiment, I may discuss and share more details. The project is still in the nascent stage and we have invested close to 6 months on this.

raspi_ninja

Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:43 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:31 am
Hi.

I presume you meant PM not DM as in Private Message.

As this forum does not allow private messages between users you will need to supply another means of contacting you.
Thanks for bringing this to the notice. I just shared my email in one of the replies here.
W. H. Heydt wrote: Sounds like Khan Academy and some of the add-on/wrapper programs for it. Not to disparage your project, but--nice wheel you've got there--It's Been Done Before.
It is very different considering that we are catering to people who do not have the internet.
In terms of the intent, yes! I agree! We are trying to help and bring knowledge to people who do not have the resources to do it.

raspi_ninja

Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:09 am

I got a couple of responses. Thank you!
Anyone else interested can drop a mail or DM.

Return to “General discussion”