bob432626

what happened to the raspberry pi 4 1GB?

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:31 am

so I invested some money in some boards for some discord bots, (running a few for my server and some for a friends server) and I just go to see if there are any updates on the website, and find that they are no longer selling 1gb ram versions... did they get recalled or something?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... 4-model-b/

fruitoftheloom

Re: what happened to the raspberry pi 4 1GB?

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:37 am

bob432626 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:31 am
so I invested some money in some boards for some discord bots, (running a few for my server and some for a friends server) and I just go to see if there are any updates on the website, and find that they are no longer selling 1gb ram versions... did they get recalled or something?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... 4-model-b/

Considering the 1GB & 2GB are the same price $35.00 plus local taxes and shipping, resellers have decided not to stock:

What about the 1GB product?

In line with our commitment to long-term support, the 1GB product will remain available to industrial and commercial customers, at a list price of $35. As there is no price advantage over the 2GB product, we expect most users to opt for the larger-memory variant.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/new-pr ... -pi-4-2gb/
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

bob432626

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:52 am

is there a way for me to trade in my raspberry pi 4 1gb for 2gb versions?

Heater

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:56 am

No. Don't be greedy. You were happy with the super low price you paid for your Pi. The fact that things have changed a bit in the mean time should not be making you less happy.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

bob432626

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:02 am

ha... "dont be greedy" spending 105$ for 3 1gb + 55$ for a 4gb gb pi + 20$ in shipping to find out that i can get that amout for 2gb pis if i waited a few months... i can understand if they added a better CPU to the pi and not allow trade-ins, but all they did was just price drop the 2gb version... *sighs* oh well. not much i can do now.

ejolson

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:16 am

bob432626 wrote:
That would be nice. I wonder what the correct trade-in value of a 1GB model Pi 4B might be. Could it be US $10 or $20? The problem, however, is finding a third party who will trade, as Raspberry Pi Trading, in spite of the name, does not as far as I know.

If the US prints $2000000000000 as part of a stimulus package, will the price of a new 2GB Pi have to be raised to $3500 from the current $35 level? On the other hand, if current prices stay the same, the value just gets better and better.
Last edited by ejolson on Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Heater

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:19 am

bob432626 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:02 am
ha... "dont be greedy" spending 105$ for 3 1gb + 55$ for a 4gb gb pi + 20$ in shipping to find out that i can get that amout for 2gb pis if i waited a few months... i can understand if they added a better CPU to the pi and not allow trade-ins, but all they did was just price drop the 2gb version... *sighs* oh well. not much i can do now.
I understand the frustration.

However if you are feeling sad, cheated, angry, etc because of a change in price of something it is a state of mind you have brought on yourself. Nothing bad has actually happened to you. Your situation has not changed.

Better to be happy that next time you by a Pi you can expect to be getting an even better deal. How great is that!

Also the price of computing has been falling exponentially for decades now. With your attitude I would be a miserable as hell. Every time I bought a computer since 1980 I could have got a more better cheaper one a short time later. I should have waited. In fact to avoid disappointment I should never have bought one, I should not own any today, they will be cheaper/better tomorrow...

ejolson

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:27 am

Heater wrote:
Every time I bought a computer since 1980 I could have got a more better cheaper one a short time later. I should have waited. In fact to avoid disappointment I should never have bought one, I should not own any today, they will be cheaper/better tomorrow...
Fortunately the same does not hold true for automobiles: Mine is 25 years old, has more than 400000km and leaks a bit of oil all over where I park it. At the same time, it is far better (for social distancing) than any new vehicle, especially those battery powered ones.

Come to think of it, my 486DX computer is also still amazing, though in this case the Pi is a noticeable improvement.

Gavinmc42

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:15 am

Think of the 1GB Pi4 as a collectors item.
Like a vintage car that only goes 30mph and has 3 wheels?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

fruitoftheloom

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:53 am

bob432626 wrote:

That would be up to the re-sellers to offer this service, RPT do not deal directly with Consumers.
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

LTolledo

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:55 am

I still want one.....though I cant get one

but if it becomes available.... me snatch a few for my NAS use... ;)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:10 am

ejolson wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:27 am
Heater wrote:
Every time I bought a computer since 1980 I could have got a more better cheaper one a short time later. I should have waited. In fact to avoid disappointment I should never have bought one, I should not own any today, they will be cheaper/better tomorrow...
Fortunately the same does not hold true for automobiles: Mine is 25 years old, has more than 400000km and leaks a bit of oil all over where I park it. At the same time, it is far better (for social distancing) than any new vehicle, especially those battery powered ones.

Come to think of it, my 486DX computer is also still amazing, though in this case the Pi is a noticeable improvement.
That's a terrible analogy. Modern cars are getting more sophisticated with each model, but the price stays the same. Your old car is more polluting (its drops oil everywhere as well!), and has less features than any modern car. So, no, it's not far better, it's far worse.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Burngate

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:17 am

If new cars are better than old ones, does the same apply to buildings?

And, if so, should we knock down Stone Henge and replace it with an apartment block?

jamesh

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:30 am

It's interesting that this is the only comment, on here and elsewhere (that I know about) complaining that the price has been dropped.

Most people have been happy that the price has dropped and they now get more for their money.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

ejolson

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:23 pm

jamesh wrote:
Your old car is more polluting (its drops oil everywhere as well!), and has less features than any modern car. So, no, it's not far better, it's far worse.
Thanks for pointing that out. Though I'm worried it might break, I'm trying not to let that old car bother me. If it bothers you, I would encourage buying me one of those Audi E-tron vehicles.

As for the Raspberry Pi, a trade-in policy like car manufacturers have might help reduce landfill while at the same time allowing the older machines to serve a purpose for those who don't approve of the way throw-away consumer goods optimise certain economic indicators. A way to source replacement parts, such as a new PMIC, might also help.

Heater

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:18 pm

jamesh wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:30 am
It's interesting that this is the only comment, on here and elsewhere (that I know about) complaining that the price has been dropped.

Most people have been happy that the price has dropped and they now get more for their money.
I have seen this kind of complaint here a few times. It goes like this:

A person buys a product for a price X. They are really happy because the product is so good and X is such a low price.

Very soon later they find the product is available for price Y. Where Y < X. Or they find they can buy a better version for price X.

On learning this they are not happy any more. They feel cheated. They start asking for refunds or free upgrades or trade ins.

To my mind none of this makes sense. The fact that the price has gone down for new purchasers has no material bearing on the original purchase the person made. Which they were very happy with but now that something that does not affect them at all has happened they are not.

Given the amazingly low prices we are talking about anyway I don't see how anyone would lose sleep over it.

achrn

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:06 pm

Heater wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:18 pm
Very soon later they find the product is available for price Y. Where Y < X. Or they find they can buy a better version for price X.
On learning this they are not happy any more. They feel cheated. They start asking for refunds or free upgrades or trade ins.
There's a parable that relies upon the hearer thinking that's a reasonable way to feel: gospel of Matthew chapter 20 v 1-16

The vineyard owner hired some workers at the start of the day, telling them what he'd pay them. They were happy with the pay on offer. They worked all day. At various times through day the vineyard owner hired more people, eventually hiring the last bunch an hour before the end of the work. Then he paid them all exactly the same wages. Those that had worked all day and who had been happy with their promised wages, suddenly were unhappy when others got a 'better deal' - in this case the same money for less work.

So it's been human nature for at least two thousand years.

il_diavolo

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:05 pm

That parable was the main reason I became an atheist. So unfair.

ejolson

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:24 pm

il_diavolo wrote:
Back on topic, the point of the thread is that those 1GB Pi 4B computers work just as well as they did when purchased, so nothing is lost by reducing the cost of the 2GB model now. The unfairness is when Raspbian no longer runs well in 1GB because the baseline model now has more memory.

In fact, it may already have happened that the original 256MB Pi B is not well supported by the current version of Raspbian. I've also noticed a shortage of up-to-date Linux distributions for my 486DX. Moreover, the old distributions that do boot don't have a version of ssh that can communicate with recent releases of openssh. In this way, the newer computers detract from the functioning of the older ones.

Just wait until government-mandated tracking and anti-collision devices make it impossible to drive Stonehenge and other famous artifacts on public roads.

jamesh

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:35 pm

ejolson wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:23 pm
jamesh wrote:
Your old car is more polluting (its drops oil everywhere as well!), and has less features than any modern car. So, no, it's not far better, it's far worse.
Thanks for pointing that out. Though I'm worried it might break, I'm trying not to let that old car bother me. If it bothers you, I would encourage buying me one of those Audi E-tron vehicles.

As for the Raspberry Pi, a trade-in policy like car manufacturers have might help reduce landfill while at the same time allowing the older machines to serve a purpose for those who don't approve of the way throw-away consumer goods optimise certain economic indicators. A way to source replacement parts, such as a new PMIC, might also help.
I am sure that earlier Pi models could find a home if necessary. But trade in would simply not work - older models are worth very little, so the trade in would be only a few dollars. But the profit margins on Pi's are so tight that even a few dollars would mean no profit on a sale. No profit = no money to pay engineers. No engineers = more more models, and that ignores all the money that goes to the Foundation.

Heater

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:36 pm

il_diavolo wrote:
This makes no sense to me.

That vineyard worker story says nothing about a belief in any God(s) or not. Why would it be a reason to be atheist or not?

Seems to be a story about capitalist exploitation of workers, but that is a whole other story.

More importantly it's a story trying to teach you how to be smarter in your dealings with people.

Meanwhile, I'm very happy that Raspberry Pi have been getting better year by year whilst maintaining the really cheap price. How brilliant is that?!

jamesh

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:42 pm

Enough religion, thank you. Anything further disappears in to the aether.

Milliways

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:22 am

I never understood why anyone bought a 1GB model in the first place.

True, I did have to wait 2 weeks for my 2GB Pi4.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:05 am

Milliways wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:22 am
I never understood why anyone bought a 1GB model in the first place.
Because it will do anything a Pi3B+ will do, only faster? Because there are uses for Pis for which 1GB is plenty of RAM, so why spend more than one needs to?

Return to “General discussion”