Haselsmasher

Pi 4 Hanging - Where To Start Looking?

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:25 pm

I have a Raspberry Pi 4 (Raspian 10) running an OpenCV application.

It is periodically hanging. I lose all comms with it (it's headless). Simply unplugging the power cord and plugging it in again causes it to reboot.

I'm assuming (hoping) that looking through the logs is gonna be necessary to try and figure out what is causing this. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to tracking down issues like this.

Any suggestions for where I should start looking to try and figure out what is causing this?

Thanks.

Jim

B.Goode

Re: Pi 4 Hanging - Where To Start Looking?

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:43 am

Haselsmasher wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:25 pm
I have a Raspberry Pi 4 (Raspian 10) running an OpenCV application.

It is periodically hanging. I lose all comms with it (it's headless). Simply unplugging the power cord and plugging it in again causes it to reboot.

I'm assuming (hoping) that looking through the logs is gonna be necessary to try and figure out what is causing this. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to tracking down issues like this.

Any suggestions for where I should start looking to try and figure out what is causing this?

Thanks.

Jim

A troubleshooting/diagnostic suggestion -

With a new or spare microSD card, install a fresh version of the current Raspbian Buster Operating System. Do the bare minimum necessary to enable headless access to it. Do not install, configure or run your OpenCV application.

Run the 'bare bones' system for some time, in excess of the period during which the system tends to hang. That will give you a baseline of whether the underlying hardware+OS platform is reliable. At present that is an 'unknown.'

pcmanbob

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:27 pm

Another question would be is how is you pi connected to the network ?

could it be wireless by any chance ?

Many routers will dis-connect a wireless device if they don't see any traffic from them.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

mby

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:12 pm

Did you put /root on a USB-drive while keeping only /boot on the SD-card, or do you run all volumes from the SD card

Haselsmasher

Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:32 am

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Right now everything is running off the SD card.

I don't have physical access to the box right now. (Given the virus situation in general - and local shelter-in-place where I live specifically.) However a colleague was able to do the unplug/plug-in to get it to boot. I then implemented an every 30 minute "ping www.google.com" to generate network traffic - in case it's being dropped by the local network. Since implementing that it has stayed up - but that's only been for 12 hours. It has certainly run longer than this before....but it has also hung/dropped comms in shorter periods of time than that, too. So right now - positive but not conclusive.

Once I'm able to get physical access I'll try out the other suggestions people have provided.

Thanks!

Jim

Return to “Troubleshooting”