omerosela

One board, multiple services

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:04 pm

I need help to understand why every time I want to start a new project using my Raspberrypi 4 one the very first step is to flash my card with a different OS?
I'm already using Raspbian with a few servers like Web, FTP or SMB.
If I want to learn to turn on/off a smart light or make my own NAS, why do I need to I need (most of the cases this is what I see) to flash my card with the home automation OS or MediaVult?

Thanks

scotty101

Re: One board, multiple services

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:22 pm

Short Answer is you don't.

Various projects like those you mention provide their own "distribution" in order to make it easier for you. They will already have everything you need to use the software they've developed. Most will also have another installation route that you can install on an existing system.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

omerosela

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:23 pm

Thanks

B.Goode

Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:15 pm

Slightly off-topic, but related...

A long long time ago I remember reading the installation instructions for some shrink-wrapped commercial software for an ancient Microsoft Operating System.

The first line of the documentation said: "Your hard disk will need to be formatted before installing this software."

You can sort of see what they meant. But following it literally would have been catastrophic for most users...

Similarly, many RPi tutorials and projects start out by highlighting that you need to have a working operating system installed and running first. Either that, or their offering is based on a standalone 'walled garden' approach where their software will not coexist with any prior Operating System. For the latter case, a policy of 'One microSD card per system' is possibly the best approach?

DougieLawson

Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:25 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:15 pm

The first line of the documentation said: "Your hard disk will need to be formatted before installing this software."
You can sort of see what they meant. But following it literally would have been catastrophic for most users...
You should have sent them a copy of "Eats, shoots and leaves". There's some commas missing. When I worked for IBM we had a forum for nitpicking stuff like that in IBM docs. There was a phrase used by the professional tech writers to highlight how they'd fix that stuff. "Real writers rewrite to avoid the problem", which due to IBM's penchant for TLAs, TLA/X and XLTLA* that was shortened to "RWRTATP". The nitpicking forum was a minefield as any posts on there were fair game for the nitpickers (except on 25th Sept which was "August founder's day" to celebrate Hugh Darwen's (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Darwen) birthday).

"Your hard disk will need to have been formatted before ..." removes some ambiguity. "Before installing you will need a system with a pre-formatted hard disk" may be better.

*TLA ==three letter acronym, TLA/X == three letter acronym extended (4 letters) & XLTLA == extra long three letter acronym (5 letters)
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Heater

Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:30 pm

These companies expect that when you buy into their product then that is the only use the Pi will see. Whether they supply the Pi or you have to supply your own. So, they provide a ready made operating system image to do that one thing and make getting that thing as easy as possible to get working.

That also makes life easy for them, they only have to get one image with whatever versions of everything on it working, then ship it. They are done. Never mind updates and so on. Which is terrible for security of course.

I recently had this problem with Nvidia and their Jetson Nano SBC. Sure their "getting started" guide involves installing a customized Ubuntu image for the Jetson Nano. But then they have a more in depth tutorial for "deep learning" on the Jetson that starts off by telling you to get a special SD card image just for that. WTF? No way.

I say no. Just tell me how to install and configure your software on top of a regular Linux installation or go away.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Heater

Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:33 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
When I worked for IBM ...
Always wondered why IBM had gone down the tubes :)

DougieLawson

Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:54 pm

Heater wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:33 pm
DougieLawson wrote:
When I worked for IBM ...
Always wondered why IBM had gone down the tubes :)
They made me redundant in 2014. That was the best thing that's ever happened to me. I'm having more fun, I'm doing more varied stuff, going abroad more often and I'm getting paid more while marshalling various mainframes into a state of submission.

I suspect the soon to be replaced (in twelve days) Mrs Rometty may have more responsibility for the state of IBM today.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Heater

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:03 pm

That is good to hear. I'm sure you are right.

Return to “Beginners”