Mayday

Raspberrypi 4 plex audio media player.

Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:18 pm

So what I'm looking to do is make a media player using my rpi4 (with a hifiberry dac hat) using plex to access all of my media as well as my tidal account. Which I can access thru plex. Mostly using for music tho. I want to put an hdmi out on the unit as well so if I want to watch a movie I can plug in a tv.

My question is what is the best way to go about this. I know there is rasplex. But i have heard some people dont really like it. What other options are there to use plex on a pi?

Also i want to put a 4x20 character display on the unit to display what's playing.

This is the display I was looking at.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_dURu3Fi

How would I go about hooking it up and getting it to run properly? Is there a "how-to" online anywhere?

Also to interface with plex I was thinking about using a smartphone to select what to play.

Sorry I'm new to the pi world.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mayday

Re: Raspberrypi 4 plex audio media player.

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:22 am

Anyone...?

MotherlessChild

Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:42 pm

Okay, so I did a similar project to this, and might have some insights, but I am not an expert by any means.
My understanding is that Rasplex has not been updated and will not run on the Pi 4. You are also correct in that there is no comprehensive guide anywhere that I can find.

I will give you the basics of my setup, and feel free to ask questions from there.
I have Raspbian installed on the Pi with Kodi installed on that. I have the Plex for Kodi Add On to give Plex Access. This is kind of clunky, and not the best plex experience but it is largely functional for my purposes.
My Pi is connected Via HDMI to my TV and via 3.5mm Audio Jack to my stereo receiver. The Pi is controlled with a USB PC remote from Amazon. The Pi also has a small 3" or so screen that sits on top of it as well.
I have programed various buttons to swap the screen resolution to fit either the TV or the small screen, as well as buttons to change the audio output from HDMI to 3.5mm. Effectively, this allows swapping between TV mode, where the TV receives audio and is used for display, and Stereo mode, where the small screen is used to navigate and the stereo receives audio directly, thus allowing the TV to be off when not in use.
The Pi power supply is plugged into the switched power outlet of the stereo receiver, which allows it to be powered off with the rest of the system.

Mayday

Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:51 pm

Thank you. I like the idea of the usb remote to control it. I would solely be using it to play audio with my stereo. Do you have any idea how I could get a 4x20 lcd to display music info?

MotherlessChild

Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:28 am

I would not even know where to start on getting the LCD to display it. It sounds like it would require a substantially different setup than mine. You might want to go with the mini screen, I got mine for $30, and that included a case and a fan (which is advisable for the Pi 4). That will be plug and play.

Mayday

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:27 am

I thought about it. But I already have the chassis that I will be installing it into. And that's as big as I could fit. I know that it can be done. It's just a matter of finding out how.

I will be installing it into an old pioneer sr-303 that I have that doesn't work anymore. That way it will match the rest of my system.

mwrich4

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:58 am

As commented here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8&t=260413, I've had good luck using a RasPi with a DAC HAT to stream iHeart 24/7.

Volumio software has some other options, you might look in to that. It's based on MPD and their solution has fewer skips and noise than the iHeart cellphone app.

Mayday

Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:47 am

Volumio doesn't support plex. And that's what I want. I want access to my personal library as well as my tidal account. And I can do that on plex.

Return to “Media centres”