If a RPi App-Store (as described below) was available, would you install it?

Yes, preferably a CLI version.
6%
Yes, preferably a GUI version.
44%
No, I just use Google to determine what package is best for me.
32%
No, I don't install much stuff on my Pi.
18%

Total votes: 34
Giga_Pi

Re: How many would be interested in a "real" App Store?

Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:49 pm

Couldn't you just create a frontend : (for apt, flatpak, etc)?
As soon as the DM smiles, you know it's too late...

rpdom

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:20 pm

Oh look, another pointless poll.

My answer would be "No, but not for the reasons listed". I know what I want installed. I don't need to search or see other's opinions.

asavah

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:45 pm

Heh, review bombing anyone?
Let's get vi vs emacs vs nano war started on this hypothetical review-appstore.

Now seriously - IMO this is a really bad idea that's not going to work.
I would like to read a review of sed, grep, aww, iproute2 or gcc from a random kid who just got their pi for Christmas/birthday :D
Would make a good laugh, pointless otherwise.

Distro based appstores were already attempted by "the big guys" several times. No success. Period.

Moonmarch

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:23 pm

The Raspberry Pi app store will not be able to compete with the software reviews from the computer news websites itsfoss, ubuntupit, maketecheasier, opensource, etc., because not enough people will contribute to the reviews of the software that you can install on the computer, searching for software to install on a Windows computer is the same Easter egg hunt of finding computer software you will see with a Linux PC, the main difference between Windows, and Linux is the software that you will use software for a Windows PC can cost you money, Linux software is overall free Windows software is not compatible with Linux unless you use WINE or a Windows OS emulator.

For .DEB packages to be available for download, and installation on RPI computers someone in the software community needs to package the software into DEB. packages, otherwise you will always see the same 3 or 4 programs when you search for software to download which tells anyone using the store the that this store is not updated very often.

Imperf3kt

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:33 pm

I'd ignore the reviews, personally.
My main interest would be the screenshots and a description, maybe a tagging system.

Specifically for finding things I didn't know I wanted to install. After all, I didn't know I wanted to buy a Pi, until I heard about it.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Heater

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:12 pm

I don't understand how screen shoots help anything.

Can I tell whether MySQL(MariaDB) is better for my application than postgresql or sqlite or CockroachDB or many others, from a screen shot?

Can a screen shot tell me that I would be better off using Apache or Nginx or many other web servers?

How does MQTT look different from NATS?

A screen shot cannot tell you how brilliant Vim is or why VS Code is also great.

And so on and so on.

Silly trivia.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Imperf3kt

Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:39 am

Heater wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:12 pm
I don't understand how screen shoots help anything.

Can I tell whether MySQL(MariaDB) is better for my application than postgresql or sqlite or CockroachDB or many others, from a screen shot?

Can a screen shot tell me that I would be better off using Apache or Nginx or many other web servers?

How does MQTT look different from NATS?

A screen shot cannot tell you how brilliant Vim is or why VS Code is also great.

And so on and so on.

Silly trivia.
They don't tell you everything, naturally, but it can help you determine if the program will hurt your eyes to look at, has things set out in a reasonable manner, and gives you an at-a-glance idea of the included features.

They certainly help on the Android App stores. They should work in a similar fashion for a Linux PC

For an analogy, imagine you're buying a car. It's main purpose is to get you from A to B.
I could tell you all the specs of the car you want, but if it's got pink ponies and unicorns painted all over it, and it's described as "artistically decorated", you might feel cheated when you finally see what "artistically decorated" actually means. After all, nobody told you it had pink ponies and unicorns all over it.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Heater

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:08 am

I didn't get the "artistically decorated" part.

Most of the "not out of the box" software I install on a Pi cannot be seen: nginx, MySql, CockroachDB, NATS, MQTT, the Rust language, Tensorflow, node.js, etc, etc.

In fact none of my Pi even have a screen to see anything on!

I certainly don't evaluate software by artistic decoration.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

wren

Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:04 am

Use Google to determine what Linux is.

bensimmo

Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:31 am

Heater wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:08 am
I didn't get the "artistically decorated" part.

Most of the "not out of the box" software I install on a Pi cannot be seen: nginx, MySql, CockroachDB, NATS, MQTT, the Rust language, Tensorflow, node.js, etc, etc.

In fact none of my Pi even have a screen to see anything on!

I certainly don't evaluate software by artistic decoration.
Just because you don't for what you do because you're been doing it since the middle of the last century, does not mean people in this century do not want screen shots or even videos.
It's a media world now, many of the people on here are not the people who would use it and probably don't use Android, Apple, Microsoft, Amazon store to find things.

Heck they may use YouTube with odd music that takes 5minutes to tell you what 10lines of text could do, but that's what they like and know. They even watch people open boxes for some reason.

This is not for you, this will be for others, teens, young adults or even older ones like me. I know my kids will use it and their friends too.
In fact I would use it. I prefer to see what the programs do, a few examples of the screens to get a quick feel for it.
Remember this is desktop based, so will have the likes of browsers, media player, art software, etc.
Apt/aptitude is pants for actually finding anything you like unless you know it already and the web is pretty much similar when it comes to finding thing that work on the Pi.

I'm still for the give it ago.

Way back when, like I said before, the fist thing my kids did was hit the menu and use the old store. They expect it and were disappointed it had gone. They never install other software unless I had searched and found it.

It is currently a desktop computer with only some recommend software in a not very descriptive or visual list if you want to add more. You basically have to know you want to install it before you go look where to get it.

If you don't get it, don't like the idea, then tick or don't tick the not for me. You already have your style of 'store'. Make a quick not for me, but no point arguing about pictures or visuals. The RPF seems very much about visuals and style, making stuff look pretty and usable.
You can comment of course but really, why stop someone giving it a go.

Heater, you are pretty much arguing the fine points about something you don't want. Why bother, it's not for you. But ask your grandchild(ren?) if they would like it. What would they want from one.

PINN was made but hey why do we need that, we could already use the web to search for OSs we had no idea where there or we wanted to have a look at.
(Actually add that list to this Store too would be a grand idea.)

Anyway.
Morning all, halfway through a very strong and bitter coffee I left to brew for way to long.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:49 am

If you don't like the idea, you only need to write one post saying so, and why. Any more is useless fluff and will get deleted.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Return to “General discussion”