AlexyBazarov

Full KMS OpenGL

Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:10 am

I have raspberry pi 4b and i have a problem.
I have no choice in the settings "G1 GL (Full KMS) OpenGL desktop driver with Full KMS
Tried different OS versions Raspberry, this is normal?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Full KMS OpenGL

Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:41 am

You should use FakeKMS on the pi4. The full driver is not yet ready for prime time usage. It is being worked on but there is a quite a bit left to do.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Application's Team.

6by9

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:10 pm

The first version of the patch set went out to the Linux mailing lists on Monday - https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/ ... 56515.html
There are a number of rough edges still that need to be resolved, and the expected back and forth on the lists for code review (only the clocks change seems to have caused any controversy so far).
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

AlexyBazarov

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:14 pm

Thanks for the answer, will the driver be available in updates or OS will it need to be reinstalled?

6by9

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:21 pm

AlexyBazarov wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:14 pm
Thanks for the answer, will the driver be available in updates or OS will it need to be reinstalled?
It'll be available via a bump to the raspberrypi-kernel package at some point in the future. It'll be based on the Linux 5.4 release rather than 4.19 though, so there's going to be a fair chunk of testing required before that bump is made.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

AlexyBazarov

Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:02 pm

I read that on Linux version 5.5 there is support for BCM2711. Does it have anything to do with the GPU?

6by9

Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:27 pm

AlexyBazarov wrote:
I read that on Linux version 5.5 there is support for BCM2711. Does it have anything to do with the GPU?
Very little. As I wrote 3 posts above, the patches for full kms were sent to the list on Monday. Almost all of the 5.5 patches are just to get the platform booted.

PeterO

Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:39 pm

6by9 wrote:
AlexyBazarov wrote:
Very little. As I wrote 3 posts above, the patches for full kms were sent to the list on Monday. Almost all of the 5.5 patches are just to get the platform booted.
But it's not clear from what you have written if "the patches for full kms [that] were sent to the list on Monday" were for 5.4 or 5.5.
And are they to do with the GPU or "just to get the platform booted."

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

AlexyBazarov

Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:19 pm

6by9 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:49 am
I have it working for dpi displays, and in theory dsi should just work too. I'll try to sort out a pr in the next few days.

Then again, AFAIK opencv has no direct input to kms, so any issue is likely to be egl related rather than kms. The difference between kms and fkms in rendering performance is minimal.
Did I understand you correctly that RP 4 will not have differences in rendering from a video driver? Projects such as Quake 3 in RP 3 work swiftly, and on RP 4, when I launch, I got a not very impressive result.
Is it possible that I did something wrong?

6by9

Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:48 pm

PeterO wrote:
6by9 wrote:
AlexyBazarov wrote:
But it's not clear from what you have written if "the patches for full kms [that] were sent to the list on Monday" were for 5.4 or 5.5.

PeterO
Linux is always working on the next version. Please read https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/ ... ocess.html for the process involved.
5.6-rc3 is available, therefore the earliest the patches could possibly be merged is 5.7, but probably more realistically 5.8.

Fixes for regressions/significant issues get merged back into the stable releases, never new features.
https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

5.5 should be able to boot a Pi4, but probably only then run a serial console rather than graphical environment.

6by9

Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:50 pm

AlexyBazarov wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:19 pm
6by9 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:49 am
I have it working for dpi displays, and in theory dsi should just work too. I'll try to sort out a pr in the next few days.

Then again, AFAIK opencv has no direct input to kms, so any issue is likely to be egl related rather than kms. The difference between kms and fkms in rendering performance is minimal.
Did I understand you correctly that RP 4 will not have differences in rendering from a video driver? Projects such as Quake 3 in RP 3 work swiftly, and on RP 4, when I launch, I got a not very impressive result.
Is it possible that I did something wrong?
If the Quake binary you ran had been optimised for the Pi3 legacy GLES driver, then NONE of that applies to Pi4 as there is no legacy driver. Most likely it was running the software GL rendering path in Mesa, and that would have been slow.

GL/GLES is independent of DRM/KMS. One deals with 3D hardware, the other is composition and display.

PeterO

Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:06 pm

6by9 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:48 pm
PeterO wrote:
6by9 wrote:

PeterO
Linux is always working on the next version. Please read https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/ ... ocess.html for the process involved.
5.6-rc3 is available, therefore the earliest the patches could possibly be merged is 5.7, but probably more realistically 5.8.

Fixes for regressions/significant issues get merged back into the stable releases, never new features.
https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

5.5 should be able to boot a Pi4, but probably only then run a serial console rather than graphical environment.
But someone said (can't find it now) that Raspbian would move to 5.4 as that is LTS so I'mconfused by all this talk abotu patches for later versions.

PeterO
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

6by9

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:42 pm

PeterO wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:06 pm
But someone said (can't find it now) that Raspbian would move to 5.4 as that is LTS
Correct. Me, further up this thread. viewtopic.php?f=91&t=266277#p1617976
The effort in bringing up and testing everything on a kernel bump is significant, therefore LTS releases with upstream support for typically 2 years is more viable than every 3 months.
so I'mconfused by all this talk abotu patches for later versions.
Linux 5.5 is available (but not LTS so won't be adopted), and 5.6 is rc4. There are a bundle of patches for new things, including the platform stuff for bringing up Pi4, out there - we don't pretend there aren't.
We are quite happy to cherry-pick back changes that have significant benefit to the Pi platform into our downstream live tree. I'm sorting out a tree now that should merge (or at least make nicely accesible) the new DRM driver on a downstream 5.4 tree. Normally we'd wait for changes to be merged, but the gain here is significant enough to jump the gun slightly. Likewise the HEVC decoder will probably be merged ahead of time.

If you're happy sitting on a Raspbian release, then that is fine and dandy. If you wish to play with the new upstream shiny thing, then go ahead.

PeterO

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:58 pm

Thanks for the detailed explanation. 8-)
I assume that ultimately you will still be aiming at minimum differencies between the upstream kernel and the one shipped with Raspbian ?

I currently have no desire to run anything "experimental" as I'm in the middle of a project and I don't want the platform shifting underneath me :roll: .

PeterO

6by9

Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:50 pm

PeterO wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:58 pm
Thanks for the detailed explanation. 8-)
I assume that ultimately you will still be aiming at minimum differencies between the upstream kernel and the one shipped with Raspbian ?
We upstream some of our stuff, but there is also a certain mindset in mainline that some things are unacceptable.

We're more pragmatic that we want functionality and tolerate slightly uglier code, or things that fit with our view of the world and not theirs.
Keeping the set of patches to a reasonable level is in our interests as it reduces the effort required in porting everything to a new kernel release, and reduces the chances of internal kernel API changes catching us out and breaking things.

timof121

Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:51 pm

jamesh wrote:
You should use FakeKMS on the pi4. The full driver is not yet ready for prime time usage. It is being worked on but there is a quite a bit left to do.
Hello, when the driver will be avaible?

jamesh

Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:22 pm

timof121 wrote:
jamesh wrote:
No idea. It's being worked on, how close it is to a usable release is anyone's guess. Quite a few months I would think.

FKMS should work pretty well for the moment, after all, it's the default.

6by9

Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:34 pm

Patches are up for review - https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/pull/3515.
It's still early days, but is starting to look moderately stable.

jamesh

Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:48 pm

6by9 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:34 pm
Patches are up for review - https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/pull/3515.
It's still early days, but is starting to look moderately stable.
Just came back to say exactly that. Ninja'd!

timof121

Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:12 am

jamesh wrote:
timof121 wrote:
jamesh wrote:
No idea. It's being worked on, how close it is to a usable release is anyone's guess. Quite a few months I would think.

Yeah, Full KMS works good

jamesh

Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:14 am

timof121 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:12 am
jamesh wrote:
timof121 wrote:

Yeah, Full KMS works good
FKMS is Fake KMS, Full KMS is just KMS.

Annoying but true.

PeterO

Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:26 am

jamesh wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:14 am
FKMS is Fake KMS, Full KMS is just KMS.
Annoying but true.
Oi, you're singing my song ! :lol:
PeterO

Return to “Beginners”