PranavLal

How do I upgrade chromium browser to version 80 or above to get orca support

Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:22 am

Hi all,

I am running raspbian buster on a raspberry pi 4. The chromium browser is at version 78. How do I upgrade it to version 80 or above to get the orca support? See the below link from the orca wiki for details.
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Orca/Chromium

It appears that the support for chromium accessibility is only in version 80 or above.
If the answer is to install from source, I am happy to do so but I need clear instructions.
Pranav

Imperf3kt

Re: How do I upgrade chromium browser to version 80 or above to get orca support

Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:49 am

you could potentially install it from source, but as I understand it, the version of Chromium included with the Raspbian operating system has undergone tweaks and improvements to get it to run better on a Pi, which you wouldn't get if you compiled from source yourself.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Rose tinted glasses are difficult to see through.

CrustyCoder

Re: How do I upgrade chromium browser to version 80 or above to get orca support

Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:33 am

You could install FydeOS.
FydeOS is a raspberry pi branch of the Chromium OS which is based on Chrome OS.

It has a more updated version of the chromium browser. Though I don't know whether you can access orca linux accesibily settings to activate voice reading. There is a terminal to access the linux base but I don't know how well that would work.

I used chromium OS to get a updated version of chrome to get Google Stadia game streaming.

It only has chrome and webapps...

Hope it helps...

fruitoftheloom

Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:03 pm

CrustyCoder wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:33 am
You could install FydeOS.
FydeOS is a raspberry pi branch of the Chromium OS which is based on Chrome OS.

It has a more updated version of the chromium browser. Though I don't know whether you can access orca linux accesibily settings to activate voice reading. There is a terminal to access the linux base but I don't know how well that would work.

I used chromium OS to get a updated version of chrome to get Google Stadia game streaming.

It only has chrome and webapps...

Hope it helps...

Rather than advertise an Operating System which does not have full functionality as yet, OCRA is included in
""Raspbian Buster with desktop and recommended software"" since the February Release:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/a-new-raspbian-update/
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

Return to “Assistive technology and accessibility”