draped

Raspberry Pi 4 Rainbow Screen

Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:57 pm

I get a rainbow screen every time I try to boot. I have tried:
- reformatting using disk utility to FAT32
- reformatting using SD Card Formatter to FAT32
- reloading the NOOBs files onto the SD card
- starting the RPI4 without an SD card (it gets the expected 4 short green flashes)

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Rainbow Screen

Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:10 pm

draped wrote:
- starting the RPI4 without an SD card (it gets the expected 4 short green flashes)

The "rainbow screen" is (an early) part of the boot process - does anything else happen after that (eg. the screen blanks)?
What are you using to power your P4B?
What size of uSDHC card? What happens if you write a Raspbian image file to the card using Etcher (more info. here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/ and here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md )
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P3B+, P4B's & P400. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

LTolledo

Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:17 pm

The "usual suspects" are probably at it again: ;)

1. power supply quality
2. microSD quality

funny how these two dont get "arrested" :mrgreen:
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

draped

Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:39 am

FTrevorGowen wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:10 pm
draped wrote:

The "rainbow screen" is (an early) part of the boot process - does anything else happen after that (eg. the screen blanks)?
What are you using to power your P4B?
What size of uSDHC card? What happens if you write a Raspbian image file to the card using Etcher (more info. here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/ and here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md )
Trev.
I'm using the vilros package. so its 32GB uSDHC card.

HawaiianPi

Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:12 am

Is your screen connected to HDMI-0 or HDMI-1?

The default for single screen is HDMI-0 (the one closest to the USB-C power jack).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:18 am

draped wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:39 am

I'm using the vilros package. so its 32GB uSDHC card.
I'm guessing that's a "kit" - P4B, PSU, keyboard ... etc. More details please eg. a supplier/description link.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P3B+, P4B's & P400. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

draped

Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:53 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:

The default for single screen is HDMI-0 (the one closest to the USB-C power jack).
It was this. I changed from HDMI-1 to HDMI-0 and it worked. thanks guys, sorry this was such a simple error!

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:02 pm

draped wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:53 pm
HawaiianPi wrote:

It was this. I changed from HDMI-1 to HDMI-0 and it worked. thanks guys, sorry this was such a simple error!
Thanks for the update and it's good you've solved the problem. As I have haven't got around to having a display plugged into HDMI1 I've learned something new - I guess that the rainbow splashscreen is always passed to both ports because, maybe, at that point in the boot sequence which port(s) is(are) in use, and their associated display parameters, hasn't yet been determined. If you wish to mark this thread as solved simply edit the title of your first post (which is also the thread title) to say so.
Trev.

pcirillo

Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:08 pm

Hi, i have the same problem,i connected to hdmi0 but the screen stucks in rainbow screen, green flashes for about 1 second and then remains off and red always on, i checked voltage between tp1 and tp2 and i get 0V. I tried 3 Sd cards formated with guiformat and noobs image flashed with Etcher. My rapsi 4 was working fine, suddenly it stoped working, after that it remains stucked in rainbow screen. I also flashed the bootloader as explained on raspberri page. I dont know what else to do, any ideas??

procount

Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:39 am

@Hawaiianpi @FTrevorGowen & other volunteers...

A useful diagnosis for users using the wrong HDMI socket, is that the top left corner of the rainbow screen on the primary HDMI-0 screen is RED, whereas on the secondary HDMI-1 screen it is MAGENTA. It's a subtle difference, but could help in such cases.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

pcirillo

Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:05 pm

Ok, i got another PI4 and works fine with same HDMI cable and SD card, so i guess i bricked the first one, is there a posibility to repair it or something?

DougieLawson

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:09 pm

pcirillo wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:05 pm
Ok, i got another PI4 and works fine with same HDMI cable and SD card, so i guess i bricked the first one, is there a posibility to repair it or something?
If you shut that one down cleanly, pull power, SDCard and HDMI and try all three in your suspect RPi.
If it boots all is good. Create a cloned SDCard for the other RPi (using the built in tool), check the power supply for the suspect and carry on.
If it doesn't boot then it is irreparably damaged and can't be repaired.
Languages using left-hand whitespace for syntax are ridiculous

DMs sent on Twitter/LinkedIn will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

The use of crystal balls and mind reading is prohibited.

emma1997

Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:03 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Either port displays fine on bootup.

IMO it was a big mistake designating the one close to power socket as default. Makes it impossible to use MOST adapters and even some cables. Using the other as default would have made my life and that of several locals much easier. In some cases took weeks to get the right plugs inhouse.

Return to “Troubleshooting”