Zoandar

Buster - Error getting updates "not using locking....."

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:41 pm

Trying to get Raspbian Buster running on a brand new Raspberry Pi 4 mounted in a version 1 Pi-Top notebook. During the initial setup, when it goes to check for updates, I keep getting this error:

Error getting updates
W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend
W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
E: dpkg was interrupted. You must manually run 'dpkg – configure -a' to correct the problem

When I then try to run the above command manually in terminal, I only ever see the descriptive help text on the dpkg command. I can't seem to get dpkg to execute as requested.
If I skip this and reboot, I am whisked back to the initial setup dialog, and the whole process repeats. I am guessing the error message is either corrupt or incomplete. What should I be trying to run in terminal to fix this?

I am using a brand new Sandisk 16GB CL10 microSD card, formatted with SD Formatter, then flashed with the latest version of Etcher. I have tried reformatting and flashing this, and other, cards repeatedly, and keep getting this same error.

I found tons of google hits on various Linux versions when searching this exact message text, so it seems to be some kind of very common issue across the board, whatever it is. Seadching on this forum, however, I did not find an exact match.
- Zoandar -
Current:
Pi-Top Notebook with Pi 3 B v. 1.2
Older hardware:
Rpi Rev B - 512 MB with Rev 2 GertBoard

DirkS

Re: Buster - Error getting updates "not using locking....."

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:47 pm

E: dpkg was interrupted. You must manually run 'dpkg – configure -a' to correct the problem
You need admin rights for this command.
Use

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Zoandar

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:52 pm

Thank you for the reply, but I did use sudo when I tried to run it. Not 100% sure I put the space behind dpkg though. It's not very apparent in the screen of the pi. I'll check that asap.
Last edited by Zoandar on Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Zoandar -
Current:
Older hardware:

DirkS

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:55 pm

Zoandar wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:52 pm
Thank you for the reply, but I did use sudo when I tried to run it.
Then please post command and full error msg.
NB: note that it's '--configure' (with 2 dashes / minus signs and no space) not what you posted above. That was probably mutilated by an editor.

Zoandar

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:27 pm

Nope, it was me making a mistake. :D
I just redid it and made sure to use your above syntax, and this time it processed. Along the way it told me that the culprit is the update package for Libre Office. Apparently something is wrong in that package.

If I want to try to get Libre Office updated in the future, can I still run that same command line you posted, or now that it ran would that not work again? Or can I get it by doing like

sudo apt update
instead?

Thank you very much for the quick help!! :)
- Zoandar -
Current:
Older hardware:

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:37 pm

Zoandar wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:27 pm
Nope, it was me making a mistake. :D
I just redid it and made sure to use your above syntax, and this time it processed. Along the way it told me that the culprit is the update package for Libre Office. Apparently something is wrong in that package.

If I want to try to get Libre Office updated in the future, can I still run that same command line you posted, or now that it ran would that not work again? Or can I get it by doing like

sudo apt update
instead?

Thank you very much for the quick help!! :)

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... pdating.md
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”