PensionerPi

Raspi-Config

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:42 pm

Raspi-Config is not showing VNC option. So, tried to update Raspi-Config, by selecting the "update" option on the menu. That fails, error message is not very informative "there was error running do_update".

Suggestions for how to proceed, please?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspi-Config

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:57 pm

Are you using the raspi-config from the desktop menu (Preferences->Raspberry Pi Configuration), or from the command line (sudo raspi-config)?

Is your Pi connected to a network correctly?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

PensionerPi

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:36 pm

Thank you for responding.

I am using the Sudo Raspi-config command, in terminal.

I am a complete beginner, have not figured out how to run the command from the menu, although, I have read on RealVNC Website, about using that.

The Pi is connected to my Network, via WiFi.

A little background:

I bought the Pi several years ago (when Model B was the "latest thing").

Beyond setting up the SD card and getting as far as starting up, changing pi password, displaying desktop, that was it.

Now, two of my Grandson's are at an age (10 and 11) where they are "showing an interest".

I dug out the Pi, blew off the dust, and got out my "getting started" books.

All of this is a long winded way of saying, I am quite possibly using out of date software, although I have used the sudo ... update command as instructed on RealVNC website.

klricks

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:45 pm

If you are still running Raspbian Wheezy then updates won't work without editing the source file because the repository has been moved: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 6&t=237469

I would suggest to start with a fresh install of Raspbian Buster on a 8GB or larger SD card.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

andrum99

Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:08 pm

PensionerPi wrote:
Raspi-Config is not showing VNC option. So, tried to update Raspi-Config, by selecting the "update" option on the menu. That fails, error message is not very informative "there was error running do_update".

You're probably using an old version of the software that doesn't include VNC. If it's that old it won't update, as the necessary files have been moved. Your best option is to start again with a fresh SD card imaged with the latest version of Raspbian Buster from this website.

PensionerPi

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:52 am

klricks wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:45 pm
If you are still running Raspbian Wheezy then updates won't work without editing the source file because the repository has been moved: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 6&t=237469

I would suggest to start with a fresh install of Raspbian Buster on a 8GB or larger SD card.
Thank you, I shall try that.

PensionerPi

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:53 am

andrum99 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:08 pm
PensionerPi wrote:

You're probably using an old version of the software that doesn't include VNC. If it's that old it won't update, as the necessary files have been moved. Your best option is to start again with a fresh SD card imaged with the latest version of Raspbian Buster from this website.
Thank you. I shall try that.

Return to “Troubleshooting”