alphanumeric

Installing Arduino IDE om Raspberry Pi

Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:26 pm

I downloaded arduino-1.8.10-linuxarm.tar.xz to my Pi's downloads folder. And then followed instructions from the MagPi site as follows.
Extract the file to your /opt directory , then open a Terminal and run the install.sh script to install.
cd Downloads/
tar -xf arduino-1.8.10-linuxarm.tar.xz
sudo mv arduino-1.8.10 /opt
sudo /opt/arduino-1.8.10/install.sh
You will find Arduino IDE under Menu > Programming. Open the app to start programming your Arduino board.

When running the install.sh I got the following error messages, should I be concerned?

Adding desktop shortcut, menu item and file associations for Arduino IDE...

touch: cannot touch '/root/.config/mimeapps.list': No such file or directory
/usr/bin/xdg-mime: 848: /usr/bin/xdg-mime: cannot create /root/.config/mimeapps.list.new: Directory nonexistent

done!
[email protected]:~/Downloads $

Also, once I launch it, how do I close it? I can't see any close or x etc anywhere?

Botspot

Re: Installing Arduino IDE om Raspberry Pi

Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:22 pm

alphanumeric wrote:
Also, once I launch it, how do I close it? I can't see any close or x etc anywhere?
Could you attach a screenshot of what you're seeing?
Introducing Pi-Power-Tools: The All-In-1 GUI Tool for Raspbian Images & SD Cards.
Boot in a VM, Flash directly from the Internet, Mount, Edit, Shrink, Expand, Repair, and much more.
https://github.com/Botspot/Pi-Power-Tools
PS. Want to download an Img ASAP? PPT's Download mode is 2x as fast as Chromium. :mrgreen:

alphanumeric

Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:21 pm

It appears the missing X to close it was a result of it being off screen. On my setup with the Pi Foundation 7 inch touch screen the bar with the X is off the top of the screen out of sight. I did try to move the window down but was unsuccessful. Opening the IDE on a bigger monitor shows the X that I couldn't see.

hippy

Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:00 pm

alphanumeric wrote:
When running the install.sh I got the following error messages, should I be concerned?

Code: Select all

Adding desktop shortcut, menu item and file associations for Arduino IDE...

touch: cannot touch '/root/.config/mimeapps.list': No such file or directory
/usr/bin/xdg-mime: 848: /usr/bin/xdg-mime: cannot create /root/.config/mimeapps.list.new: Directory nonexistent
No need to be concerned AFAICT. I always get that warning, and ignore it, I imagine everyone installing on a Pi does.

alphanumeric

Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:49 pm

@hippy, thanks for that info, I was hoping it was something it was an installing on a Pi thing.

Trollenator

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:06 pm

Does this mean that the Pi and Arduino units can talk to each other?

Just got my first Pi 2 days ago and today ordered an Arduino kit on the advice of the buddy who started this whole thing with me.

What have I done! Looks to be fun!
Bad things happen to good people to balance the good things that happen to bad people.

alphanumeric

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:49 pm

The Arduino IDE lets you program your Arduino from a Raspberry Pi. Same as you can do from a PC with the IDE installed on it.
There is some talking going on, but to really have them interact you need to setup a different serial connection. Thats my understanding anyway. I'm an Arduino NOOB myself. I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable will post back if I got that wrong.

Return to “General programming discussion”