7F20

Raspberry pi "native" resolution and output resolution

Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:53 pm

Hi,

I'm having trouble understanding how the Raspberry pi manages resolution output and system "native" resolution.

If I set the config to output 640x480 or 800x600, does that change everything in the system to that resolution, or is just some kind of frame buffer and the system resolution stays at some other internally maintained "native" resolution?

Furthermore, does it vary depending on the output method? (ie HDMI vs GPIO RGB vs composite)

Thanks,

BrodyStone21

Re: Raspberry pi "native" resolution and output resolution

Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:17 pm

The default resolution is adaptive to your monitor or display, just like plugging a console or a computer into different monitors. You can edit your config.txt to force a certain output resolution if you would like. Follow the link below to view different resolutions.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... t/video.md

If you wanted to force 1080p @60hz then you would:
sudo nano /boot/config.txt
and then remove the "#" before hdmi_force_hotplug, hdmi_group, and hdmi_mode
Make sure that hdmi_force_hotplug=1, hdmi_group=2, and hdmi_mode=82. I would also recommend disabling overscan unless there are black borders on your screen.

7F20

Re: Raspberry pi "native" resolution and output resolution

Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:08 pm

BrodyStone21 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:17 pm
The default resolution is adaptive to your monitor or display, just like plugging a console or a computer into different monitors. You can edit your config.txt to force a certain output resolution if you would like. Follow the link below to view different resolutions.
That wasn't really what I was trying to ask. I think I figured it out though.

When I input fbset -s, the pi outputs what I am guessing is the current resolution? Not totally sure still, but if someone reading this knows how the resolution on the pi works, I would be grateful for an explanation.

Thanks,

Return to “Beginners”