Skraaj

Email server Rpi4 - tutorial needed

Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:57 am

Hi all!

For about two weeks I've been trying to set up an email server on my Pi without any success. Any chance someone might point me to a newbie-friendly step-by-step guide?

I've tried postfix/dovecot tutorials but it never seem to go right. Most that I've found are for a different distribution or assume the user basically knows everything (why bother with a guide then? :P).

When I tried Citadel it just gives me an error "This program was unable to connect or stay connected to the Citadel server. Please report this problem to your system administrator." (read more points me to a non-existent side on citadel.org) when I try to connect. Service is active (running) but few lines down I see an error "citserver[1252]: db: cursor still in progress on cdb 00: attempt to write during r/o cursor"

I've been trying on clean fresh raspbian, and with a LAMP setup on the Pi - no luck so far. Got IPv4, everything else is 'stock-software', even no SSL to get me started and secure it later after I even get it up and running. I'm sort of a newbie to all linux-based stuff (but still managed to successfully set up a LAMP :D) so the more newbie friendly the better. I found that a lot of users link to ducky-pond, but it seems infested with ads right now.
Pi4 B w/ Raspbian

topguy

Re: Email server Rpi4 - tutorial needed

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:50 am

- What is the purpose of the mail-server ? Do you have a internet domain you want to receive mail to ?
- Where/When do the guides you have tested fail ? Installation / configuration / execution ?

- Its best to choose guides for Debian if you cant find directly Raspbian guides: https://wiki.debian.org/Postfix#Install ... _on_Debian

bls

Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:38 pm

Skraaj wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:57 am
Hi all!

For about two weeks I've been trying to set up an email server on my Pi without any success. Any chance someone might point me to a newbie-friendly step-by-step guide?
I sorted out dovecot installation using https://raspberrytips.com/mail-server-raspberry-pi/ and made a script for it: https://github.com/gitbls/pistrong/blob ... ll-dovecot.

Setting up postfix is a bit more complex, but you should be able to get local email sending working easily by:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install bsd-mailx postfix libsasl2-modules
You don't really need bsd-mailx but it may be useful to have a local bash shell mail command for testing. Relaying to the internet gets more complex due to the variety of ISP mail servers.

HTH

castletonroad

Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:39 pm

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B | Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | Raspberry Pi 2 Model B

Skraaj

Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:53 am

Thank you all for the responses, been snowed under at work hence the late response. I'm trying to set up a home email, website, FTP and in future a cloud for personal use. Just so all my files and emails are mine only and not scanned by 3rd party services. Besides, the look on people's faces when I tell them that the page they're looking at runs from my room is priceless. Figured that I need a winter-friendly hobby so this is it :D
bls wrote:I sorted out dovecot installation using https://raspberrytips.com/mail-server-raspberry-pi/
Thanks, tried that but wasn't newbie friendly, got stuck on multiple steps. It's more in line of "do as I say" and not "here's how you do it".
Thank you! Looks like this is the droid I've been looking for.

So far so good, I've been able to send emails and I'm in the middle of the process of configuring my inbox. Whoever Sam is he made a great guide. Much obliged for pointing me there - it is newbie friendly and explains a lot using examples. Got some cert/SSL problems but I think I just need to read through it two times and will be fine.
Pi4 B w/ Raspbian

castletonroad

Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:01 pm

Great to hear you've had some success. It took me a few attempts to follow the tutorial, but I can now set up a new machine in about two hours. It's often just the 'insert your details here' bits that trip you up. Oh, and the certificate stuff can be tricky, too.

I have now opted for LetsEncrypt certificates, with a single certificate for my mail and web servers, and I have opted for RainLoop rather than SquirrelMail as my webmail client.

I also strongly suggest working your way through this 7-part tutorial: https://www.linuxbabe.com/mail-server/s ... ver-ubuntu
Raspberry Pi 4 Model B | Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | Raspberry Pi 2 Model B

Return to “Networking and servers”