MikeDB

Schematic for the new Pi4 PSU

Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:01 pm

Is there a schematic available for the Pi4 official PSU ? Or if not has anybody dissected one before I do so ?

I want to know if there's an output diode in the positive line so I can link in a battery backup without incurring the voltage drop of a series diode to prevent battery current flowing back into the supply. Most switched PSUs do, but there are some topologies which don't prevent back-flow.

trejan

Re: Schematic for the new Pi4 PSU

Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:34 pm

MikeDB wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:01 pm
Is there a schematic available for the Pi4 official PSU ?
Nope. They only publish schematics for the Pi boards and Compute Module related parts. All the other accessories don't have any public schematics.

I'm not sure if it is a Pi designed PSU or somebody elses that they've selected but it is probably classed as an implementation detail and subject to change.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:45 pm

The schematic is not available, and won't be made available, so suggestion from our HW dude who deals with this stuff is to use couple of these, or similar. This means the design of the PS is irrelevant.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm66100.pdf
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

MikeDB

Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:10 pm

jamesh wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:45 pm
The schematic is not available, and won't be made available, so suggestion from our HW dude who deals with this stuff is to use couple of these, or similar. This means the design of the PS is irrelevant.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm66100.pdf
Thanks. TI don't say these can be paralleled so I'll check with them that is ok before going this way, but seems a viable solution.

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”