energyi

Jetson Nano or RPI4

Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:46 pm

If anyone is interested in a comparison of the Jetson Nano to the RPI4 I wrote up a comparison including the audio and video capabilities.

https://other2funstuff.blogspot.com/201 ... -pi-4.html

And just as heads up Microcenter has lowered prices on some RPI4s in store. And Newegg has a lowered price Nano. Hope this helps. No vested interests, just addicted to SBCs.

energyi
energyi

Paeryn

Re: Jetson Nano or RPI4

Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:05 pm

I think there's a slight error in there
Raspberry Pi 4 is small, lighter than the Nano developer kit, has audio (headphones output and microphone input).
The RPi4 has audio out (though it can drive headphones I don't think it is meant as a headphone socket, more line-level) but there isn't a microphone input in the base unit, you'd need an add-on HAT or USB to get audio-in. The fourth connection on the TRRS jack is for composite video output.
She who travels light — forgot something.

energyi

Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:59 pm

You may be right. Looks like at least 4 connectors on the audio output. I've used it successfully with headphones. But haven't tested it with a headset. Seems like my rpi2&3's worked with headsets.

Enegyi
energyi

rpdom

Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:07 pm

energyi wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:59 pm
You may be right. Looks like at least 4 connectors on the audio output. I've used it successfully with headphones. But haven't tested it with a headset. Seems like my rpi2&3's worked with headsets.
Paeryn is right. Since the Pi 1B+ the AV socket has had four connections. Left Audio, Right Audio, Ground and Composite Video. All outputs.

Paeryn

Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:34 pm

A headset will likely work so long as you only want sound out, none of the RPis have any analogue inputs. Composite out used to be on a separate connector on the original RPi with sound on a 3-pole jack but (I assume for space) they replaced the 3-pole with a 4-pole and moved the video on to there. The tip and ring 1 are the same left and right audio channels, ring 2 is ground and the sleeve is video).

On an RPi4 composite out is disabled by default due to having to lower clock speeds slightly when enabling it. I don't think having a microphone connected to ring 2 and sleeve will have any detrimental effect but you certainly won't be able to capture any sound with it.
She who travels light — forgot something.

bomblord

Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:36 pm

Was expecting a bit more like benchmarks, power consumption, etc. It's not bad but this seems to be an odd comparison.

The Jetson Nano boasts a slightly weaker CPU but a GPU that's simply in another league compared to the Pi. Including support for more graphical backends (including more up to date version of full OpenGL and even Vulkan). Throwing openmw on both the Pi 4 gets 30fps on 720p medium available testimonies on the same game run via the Jetson Nano shows well over 100fps at 1080p high.

It's also nearly double the price of the most expensive Pi 4.
Last edited by bomblord on Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

goodburner

Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:47 am

Well you are on the Raspberry Pi forum, so you know what answer you're going to get.
As someone that has used this little computer for 6 months, I can recommend it as a 'must have' if you say you work with SBCs.
The frequent updates and the Pi Foundation people directly working with people here to resolve issues, however mundane or stupid, is not something all companies can or will do.
When I bought the RPI 4B+, I hastily made some stupid comments about it, but I've come to realize that when it comes to consumer SBCs, RPI is second to none. Get it, you won't regret it.

energyi

Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:04 am

Forum is usually more right than me. Sorry, though for sure I did Hangout calls with older rpi systems, might have been microphone off USB camera. Sorry for my confusion.

Octane scores discussed in previous post ( https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=243783 ) constantly moving target. But still of value for instantaneous comparisons or comparisons over time of same system.

Anyone done Rpi4 with Coral USB accelerator?

Enegyi
energyi

ejolson

Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:55 am

energyi wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:46 pm
If anyone is interested in a comparison of the Jetson Nano to the RPI4 I wrote up a comparison including the audio and video capabilities.

https://other2funstuff.blogspot.com/201 ... -pi-4.html

And just as heads up Microcenter has lowered prices on some RPI4s in store. And Newegg has a lowered price Nano. Hope this helps. No vested interests, just addicted to SBCs.

energyi
The title of the your blog current reads "Jetson Nano and Rspberry Pi 4."

It would be nice to correct the spelling of raspberry--you might get a few more hits from the search engines as well. Other than that, thanks for writing an interesting blog and not including any advertising on it either.

echmain

Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:08 am

I’d only buy the Nano if it made the sound of the Jetson’s flying saucer car.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:06 pm

off topic, so moved to off topic, and locking, before this becomes the nano support centre. :mrgreen:

Return to “Off topic discussion”