IdiotOfThings

TV hat - case and adapter issues

Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:15 pm

Hi

I recently bought a Pi TV hat which came with an adapter for the coax cable - does anyone know what type the small end connector (on the board) is called? It looks like an small SMA connector, but doesn't have a thread. I have found the connection to be quite "fragile" to the slightest movement of the cable/adapter. I would like to have a small fly lead going direct from it which I can fix to the case. Sort of part two to my question - is there a Pi TV hat case? Does it hold the adapter more firmly in place? I haven't been able to find one yet...

Cheers
Ben

trejan

Re: TV hat - case and adapter issues

Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:25 pm

IdiotOfThings wrote:
does anyone know what type the small end connector (on the board) is called?
MCX
IdiotOfThings wrote:
I would like to have a small fly lead going direct from it which I can fix to the case.
You can buy short MCX leads as MCX is fairly popular on smaller USB TV receiver dongles. I'm not sure how easy it would be to find a panel mount connector on the other end though.
IdiotOfThings wrote:
Sort of part two to my question - is there a Pi TV hat case? Does it hold the adapter more firmly in place? I haven't been able to find one yet...
No official case but Pi Hut have their ModMyPi brand TV HAT case. The adapter just sits in a large hole in the case though. It isn't retained by anything.

IdiotOfThings

Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:54 pm

Many thanks, perfect answers! 10/10!

I think I have found an MCX to F-type pigtail that should do the job now, I just want to take a bit of the strain off the board itself. Hopefully there won't be any loss by doing so - the tuner/board itself seems quite sensitive to signal strength compared to some.

Cheers
Ben

Pulsar33

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:18 am

Hello
It's quite easy to do :
CaseHacking-Fan+DVBreduced.jpg
CaseHacking-Fan+DVBreduced.jpg (242.98 KiB) Viewed 141 times
Best regards
Pulsar33
Pi 4 with 4Gb memory, DVB TV pHAT ------------------- Desktop : Core i5 Linux MINT 19.2

IdiotOfThings

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:01 pm

Very neat! Might go that route and put a dab of hot glue where the connectors join.

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”