cpc464

New Article: How to Watch and Record Live TV with a Raspberry Pi

Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:05 am

Morning all

I've written a new article explaining how to record and watch TV on a Raspberry Pi:

http://unixetc.co.uk/2019/11/22/how-to- ... pberry-pi/

The set up of OSMC/TVHeadend is described in detail, from scratch. I hope it does not duplicate existing resources too much.

The latest versions of OSMC/Kodi/TVH are used (at the time of writing). Also covers Flirc remote control setup, modifying Kodi font sizes, tuner setup, TVH optimization, power supply selection, recommended hardware, ongoing power consumption (6W!) and adding storage.

I hope somebody finds it useful, because it took many hours of testing. Truth is, I've had some time on my hands due to illness, and needed to replace an ageing Topfield DVR. Rather than go the Humax/Panasonic route, and having been a Unix sysadmin for 25 years, I decided to try the Pi setup. And, so far, it does make a good Toppy replacement.

Nothing is quite as nice as a Topfield though. ;)

Jim.
Unix engineer since 1989

cpc464

Re: New Article: How to Watch and Record Live TV with a Raspberry Pi

Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:30 am

PS. Gonna big up my other Pi articles too:
Unix engineer since 1989

mihailolja

Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:55 am

My experience of trying to create a Raspberry Pi 4 PVR as a replacement for a Hitachi PVR has been nothing short of a nightmare. Much the same as you I have some Unix experience and thought I'd use this and save some money too by building my own PVR.

I bought the tv hat dutifully and followed the instruction by installing tvheadend and LibreElec but it has been a whole series of failures in one way or another. You think you get it working and then an update on one piece of software throws it and you're back to square 1.

Just some of the issues I've experienced: LibreElec doesn't record on a SSD drive I attached, HTSP tvheadend client on the LibreElec doesn't connect to Tvheadend; various updates on tvheadend and LibreElec don't seem to work properly with each other; tvheadend doesn't record when you click on a programme (I get the red circle with an exclamation mark); tvheadend uninstalls itself after a LibreElec update and so it goes on....

It's desperately sad because I'm going to buy a Humax PVR and scrap the Pi project because it's just too problematic.

cpc464

Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:22 pm

Hi mihailolja ,

Sorry to hear about these travails. The setup with OSMC and TVHeadend was actually easier than I thought it would be. Note I didn't use a Pi 4. Although I tested a Pi 4 with Kodi and TVHeaded, there were issues with stability and picture quality. OSMC isn't yet supported on the Pi 4, but soon will be according to the project blog (https://osmc.tv/2019/11/osmcs-november- ... kodi-18-5/). After that, it should be as easy and reliable as with the Pi 2/3. And the Pi 4 really flies, at least in my tests.

I used a Pi 2. The Pi 3 should be similar. You could do worse than give it a try. Nothing to loose except a couple of hours. Good luck if you go with the Humax, it is sure not to disappoint.

Jim
Unix engineer since 1989

Return to “Media centres”