daaaan4

Raspberry Pi 4 shutdown not working

Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:27 pm

Hello together,
I'm working with a RasPi 4 (2 GB) since a few weeks mainly as media center (LibreELEC).
Yesterday I was experimenting with Raspbian a bit and the problem began:

When trying to shutdown I realized the Pi is not shutting down completely anymore - connected fan still blowing and ethernet still blinking, rest seems off. Reboot still works fine.
I tried to switch back sd cards, tried again LibreELEC and Raspbian, completely new installation of LibreELEC, another power supply, disconnecting fan, hdmi and ethernet but still no shutdown.

Did anyone have the same problem or has any idea what else I can try? Or is it a technical issue with the RasPi?

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 shutdown not working

Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:52 pm

There has been a firmware change to ensure that power remains on (as used to happen) to ensure that HATs that need that to happen are not (no longer) affected. IIRC "shutdown" has never turned off "everything" and the only way to unpower everything is to switch off/unplug the main PSU.
(There was a thread about this some weeks ago)
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

PeterO

Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:54 pm

Take a look at https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... _config.md it should give you the info you need to return to the behaviour you want.

PeteO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

daaaan4

Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:12 pm

Thanks, I confirm it is no hardware issue but an official bootloader change on the EEPROM (not on sd card)
Luckily it is possible to modify this to get the power fully off when shutting down.
Instruction from PeterO is the one that worked for me. :D

Return to “Troubleshooting”