MCMLXII

NOOBS Boot?

Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:16 pm

Hi,

When I tried to use NOOBS my application said "It looks like this is not a bootable image. This image does not appear to contain a partition table, and might not be recognized or bootable by your device"

So this your idea of "New Out of the Box"????

B.Goode

Re: NOOBS Boot?

Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:27 pm

Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums.

MCMLXII wrote:
Hi,

When I tried to use NOOBS my application said "It looks like this is not a bootable image. This image does not appear to contain a partition table, and might not be recognized or bootable by your device"

What is the application that you are trying to use?

There is lots of good advice and Getting Started information available directly from Raspberry Pi themselves here - https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/

The NOOBS Installer download is a set of files, not an operating system image, so the message is correct and informative.

If trying to set up a microSD card with the NOOBS Installer is troublesome, you could consider a 'direct' installation of the Raspbian Buster Operating System image. See https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

trejan

Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:48 pm

MCMLXII wrote:

You don't use balenaEtcher to install NOOBS. Follow the NOOBS installation guide.

DougieLawson

Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:08 pm

trejan wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:48 pm

You don't use balenaEtcher to install NOOBS. Follow the NOOBS installation guide.
If you swap NOOBS for the more fully featured PINN then there is a version of PINN-lite that gets installed with Etcher.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:07 pm

MCMLXII wrote:
Hi,

If you really were a NOOB, yes, unfortunately you learned that software on a PI should be installed with Etcher, which meant you no longer are a NOOB.

With NOOBS you simply copy paste the content of the .ZIP to a 32GB (or smaller) SD-card.

Its a matter of knowing more than was good for you at that stage, you no longer belonged to the true intended group of NOOBS (fully ignorant NewBies). Also, Etcher was developed long after NOOBS, and its predecessors were dangerous in use, that is why NOOBS was developed, and its user instructions ignore the existence of Etcher.

Return to “General discussion”