manicgeek

Re: Is it possible to run mac os 10.2 on it?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:01 pm

SeanD said:

Come to this forum with a question that has not been asked befor or covered in the FAQ and on the whole all you will get is constructive answers.
And that's just a feeble attempt at an excuse for rudeness. If I were you I would withdraw it lest someone comes along and points out that the argument you've just made says that "If you ask a question we think you should know, or be able to work out the answer too, we'll laugh at you."  Cause that's what it says to me.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:05 pm

manicgeek said:

Whereas I'd have said it was a damned rude response to someone who the responder knows absolutely nothing about.

Some would say that your attitude might be seen as a tad combative, even abrasive. But if they don't know you, it might be that they are over-reading something into a post that meant well but was over emphasised.

Best thing is not to jump to conclusions.

See what I mean?
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

grumpyoldgit

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:07 pm

Now now then, girls.

SeanD

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:09 pm

manicgeek said:

SeanD said:

Come to this forum with a question that has not been asked befor or covered in the FAQ and on the whole all you will get is constructive answers.

And that's just a feeble attempt at an excuse for rudeness. If I were you I would withdraw it lest someone comes along and points out that the argument you've just made says that "If you ask a question we think you should know, or be able to work out the answer too, we'll laugh at you."  Cause that's what it says to me.

Why should I withdraw a statement of fact?  I will let you draw the conclusion that people may be rude, because in my experience some will be, some will also be silly or frivolous and some helpful. It is like it or not how people and forums are.

Jongoleur

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:13 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

Now now then, girls.

Drat

I thought no-one would notice...... 

Sorry for taking your name in vain in my post above...... 

Dave64

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:14 pm

Jongoleur said:

Bengaul said:

Jaseman said:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Ha ha ha ha......

That's not fair!

You are not born with the knowledge. As you know, the device was made for educational purposes, and a question answered is a fact learned. People should be able to do this without judgement or fear, thus enabling the learning process to go without hindrance!

Given the number of responses above that indicate that it is highly unlikely that you'd ever get an Apple operating system running on the Raspberry Pi, manic laughter is pretty fair comment.  Its widely known that Apple DO NOT like people running their operating systems on hardware that they have not authorised, and that it is, in fact, impossible to GET a "legal" copy of OS X unless you own a suitable Apple computer to run it on.

None of the people here were born with the knowledge either, but there are other ways to find out answers rather than posing rather naive questions and complaining when someone gives a robust response.    This isn't the only forum, there are lots around the internet.  Try Google (a good place to ask basic questions btw) and read around.  Its fun and you'll learn lots too!

But is this not the only Raspberry forum ,which is what the question was about.

cowfodder

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:14 pm

Well, the fact of the matter is that even if it could run OS X, provided graphics drivers could be found, it is rather unlikely that the foundation would allow discussion of it here.  The OS X eula doesn't allow for installation on non-Apple hardware, and discussion of methods to do so could hurt the foundation.

Sent from my core I5-2500k hackintosh.

toxibunny

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:21 pm

Mac os? You mean like on apple Macs? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHA

Nah, dude nice question though, it caused a whole other discussion all by itself.
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

manicgeek

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:26 pm

Jongoleur said:

Some would say that your attitude might be seen as a tad combative, even abrasive. But if they don't know you, it might be that they are over-reading something into a post that meant well but was over emphasised.

See what I mean?

Yes they would, I have a history of it here as well (sorry Liz). See I tend to respond to rudeness like that wherever I find it, and I'm also very unforgiving of those who attempt to excuse it. I guess that comes from my background of teaching people who don't think they can understand computers, how computers work. I find those who attempt to belittle others in this field generally don't know as much as they should if they intend to belittle others. It fits along side that truism we've all heard about there being no stupid questions, yet still those who know a bit think belittling others is an OK thing to do. Well it's not. If you don't have anything nice or helpful to say, then say nothing.

Dave64

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:33 pm

manicgeek said:

Jongoleur said:

Bengaul said:

Jaseman said:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Ha ha ha ha......

That's not fair!

You are not born with the knowledge. As you know, the device was made for educational purposes, and a question answered is a fact learned. People should be able to do this without judgement or fear, thus enabling the learning process to go without hindrance!

Given the number of responses above that indicate that it is highly unlikely that you'd ever get an Apple operating system running on the Raspberry Pi, manic laughter is pretty fair comment.

Whereas I'd have said it was a damned rude response to someone who the responder knows absolutely nothing about.

I am sure (in common with a lot of people) that my knowledge is not as great as others posting here which is why I look here. I have noticed that there are often questions repeated (which happens ) does that mean that if you were not aware that somewhere previously ayour question had been answered you should be ridiculed. (would it not be more polite to either re answer question , point the person in the right direction, or not bother making a smart comment)

in my opinion manic laughter is not a fair comment just an ignorant one.

Dave64

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:38 pm

manicgeek said:

Jongoleur said:

See what I mean?

Yes they would, I have a history of it here as well (sorry Liz). See I tend to respond to rudeness like that wherever I find it, and I'm also very unforgiving of those who attempt to excuse it. I guess that comes from my background of teaching people who don't think they can understand computers, how computers work. I find those who attempt to belittle others in this field generally don't know as much as they should if they intend to belittle others. It fits along side that truism we've all heard about there being no stupid questions, yet still those who know a bit think belittling others is an OK thing to do. Well it's not. If you don't have anything nice or helpful to say, then say nothing.

Well said I agree entirely

kme

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:58 pm

manicgeek said:

It fits along side that truism we've all heard about there being no stupid questions, yet still those who know a bit think belittling others is an OK thing to do. Well it's not. If you don't have anything nice or helpful to say, then say nothing.

Which will result in any public forum being flooded by the low end of the Bell Curve and the high end forms their own closed societies. Is this what you wish for?

Of course there are stupid questions and lazy people.

The challenge is to move the top point of the Bell Curve upwards and you only do that by making demands to any poster. Then any forum must make its own decisions about these demands.

psergiu

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:15 pm

The worst bane of internet forums are off-topic rants - like this one.

A person asks a question. If you know the answer, you give the man an answer, a link or at least some search hints for google.

If you don't know the answer, shut the fsck up and don't pollute the discussion. Internet is forever. Archive.org will preserve dozens of copies of those useles rants forever. Every google search for "raspberry pi osx" will find this mindless discussion.

If you want to talk about forum titles and chocolate teapots, open your gord-damn separate thread. It's free. It does not costs 10 quid to click the "Add new topic" link - it's fscking free.

Now please be on-topic (OS X on RPi) or go away.

Dave64

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:30 pm

psergiu said:

A person asks a question. If you know the answer, you give the man an answer, a link or at least some search hints for google.

If you don't know the answer, shut the fsck up and don't pollute the discussion. Internet is forever. Archive.org will preserve dozens of copies of those useles rants forever. Every google search for "raspberry pi osx" will find this mindless discussion.

If you want to talk about forum titles and chocolate teapots, open your gord-damn separate thread. It's free. It does not costs 10 quid to click the "Add new topic" link - it's fscking free.

which you are contributing further too with your thinly disguised swear

words and cursing.  intelligent input.

This is a forum and the nature of discussions is to sometimes wander .

which topic do you think we should put your comment under?

Jongoleur

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:32 pm

psergiu said:

Deary me - a wrist slap.

Tsk.

The problem here is that a single post has been blown up out of all proportion by a couple of individuals who have taken up arms to right the perceived wrong.  Several answers along similar lines have been given, some in a formal manner, some less so.

"Off topic rants" have all come from the defenders of the original question.  I notice your concern has been to criticise other posters without leaving pertinent answers of your own.

Time you cooled down and stopped digging the hole deeper.

And as a final thought the member who posted the "Hahahaha" post apologised and gave his reason for the original post.  Perhaps that got missed in the rush to judgement.

Perhaps this thread should be locked. Thats up to the mods but given the heat developing, it should be considered.

Andre_P

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:36 pm

Ok this is a 'philosophical' type answer to the original posting.

If I remember correctly, and people please correct me if I am wrong, any Turing complete machine can 'EMULATE' any other Turing Complete machine (given enough memory).

So should someone decide to write some form of x86 emulator for the Arm and you can also provide an emulation of the appropriate IO then in theory it would be possible to run any form of instruction stream, be it a "Hello World" or an operating system.

So philosophically the answer is yes, practically unlikely and legally I suspect not.

Don't you love fuzziness .

What I would suggest the original poster do is investigate where my answer comes from because that would a learning journey in itself. That result in itself would be worth asking the question.

HAZZA24937

Thu May 31, 2012 7:02 am

It would probably be possible to make a Hackintosh distro from 10.4 that supports ARM11 (in the model b R-pi), because iOS is 10.4 ported to ARM...
I am researching it with a friend and we still think it's possible to compile OS X 10.4 or maybe even 10.6 with ARM11 CPU support, however it would take a long time for us. So I am thinking of starting up a project maybe to give it a go, If I go ahead with that idea I think our end distro should be called OS X Nyan. XD

ghans

Thu May 31, 2012 8:52 am

The Pi has already booted Windows XP and Mac OS - both in virtual Machines.
If you start them at the same time , it takes 3 hours for Mac OS and 4 hours for Windows.
Some people have too much free time.
Do a forum search.

@HAZZA24937
I doubt you have access to the source code of iOS /Mac OS ?
I myself would put me out of legal reach of Apple before you attempt this. Leave the planet , for example :lol:
Even you have all preconditions met , iOS is not just Mac OS "ported" - it is a very custumised interface and specifially tailored to the Hardware .

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

hippy

Thu May 31, 2012 9:14 am

kme wrote:manicgeek said:
It fits along side that truism we've all heard about there being no stupid questions, yet still those who know a bit think belittling others is an OK thing to do. Well it's not. If you don't have anything nice or helpful to say, then say nothing.
Which will result in any public forum being flooded by the low end of the Bell Curve and the high end forms their own closed societies. Is this what you wish for?

Of course there are stupid questions and lazy people.

The challenge is to move the top point of the Bell Curve upwards and you only do that by making demands to any poster. Then any forum must make its own decisions about these demands.
Unfortunately, intolerance to those at the low end of the Bell Curve is what makes it so difficult for those to progress. It's pretty much 'if you don't understand, come back when you do'. It creates a divide of those who can and those who can't, and almost zero help to take people from can't to can.

That IMO is rather prevalent in Linux circles and something I'd hoped the R-Pi community would break away from. Especially as it is targeted by design at those standing at the bottom of the Bell Curve looking up.

Helpful answers educate, belittling responses don't. It's simply laughing at people who don't know as much as one believes they should. It discourages rather than encourages.

benedict3578

Thu May 31, 2012 9:17 am

If you were desperate, you could use some VNC software to connect to a Mac. If is possible to run Mac on a Windows computer though, but it requires lots and lots of hard work! :) ;)
Languages: Java, JavaScript, C#, .NET/VB6, HTML/XHTML, CSS
Computers: iMac, Acer Aspire, Raspberry Pi
My Job: I Make iPhone Apps for People
Website - http://appdragondev.com
Email - [email protected]
App - http://appdragondev.com/redirect/bl/

tufty

Thu May 31, 2012 9:19 am

HAZZA24937 wrote:It would probably be possible to make a Hackintosh distro from 10.4 that supports ARM11 (in the model b R-pi), because iOS is 10.4 ported to ARM...
I am researching it with a friend and we still think it's possible to compile OS X 10.4 or maybe even 10.6 with ARM11 CPU support, however it would take a long time for us. So I am thinking of starting up a project maybe to give it a go, If I go ahead with that idea I think our end distro should be called OS X Nyan. XD
You can certainly compile / crosscompile xnu and friends and get yourself an Arm-Darwin. Obviously, there's gonna be a fair amount of hacking involved in the xnu core to get it to boot on the Pi and use the Pi's peripherals, but it's certainly not out of the question, nor would it make anyone liable to Apple's lawyers. With a "bit" of shimming to make it look like linux in certain respects, you "might" even get accelerated OpenGL/ES and OpenVG running.

However, whatever you do, you're not going to get a hackintosh of any description. The entire "front end" of OSX (that which runs above the BSD-derived userland of Darwin proper) is closed source, and only available in binary form for Intel and PPC. So, no Appkit, no Foundation, no Quartz, none of any of Apple's other core frameworks, and certainly no Finder or any of the stuff that runs on top of that.

Simon

benedict3578

Thu May 31, 2012 9:22 am

Jongoleur wrote:Even slashdotters know that you can't run any variety of OS X on hardware that hasn't been blessed by Apple!  Nevermind, there'll be several flavours of Linux and perhaps RiscOS too to keep the adventurous happy....
Sorry, but you can. Have a look online here: http://dailyapps.net/2007/10/hack-attac ... asy-steps/. There is a tutorial of how to run it and even dual boot Vista(Why?) and Mac OS.
Languages: Java, JavaScript, C#, .NET/VB6, HTML/XHTML, CSS
Computers: iMac, Acer Aspire, Raspberry Pi
My Job: I Make iPhone Apps for People
Website - http://appdragondev.com
Email - [email protected]
App - http://appdragondev.com/redirect/bl/

ghans

Thu May 31, 2012 10:08 am

I'm not sure what other posters intended. AFAIK Hackintosh are not legal in every country and furthermore i thought this was more along the lines of reverse engineering.
I always believed if people talk about Mac they do mean everything including the GUI and not only the Darwin parts. So far as i know neither Mac OS (x86, PPC) nor iOS (custom ARM) are going to work on RPi ( another ARM) without doing one or another.

ghans

EDIT :

And yes , psergiu managed to boot Mac OS : http://raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=6014
Why ? Because he can !

Return to “General discussion”