thomas5
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:51 am

Rpi4 Not Booting, Red & Green LED constantly on ( no flash)

Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:57 am

I have tried (The Boot Problems Sticky) and it gives me no result. When I plug the rpi without SD card red and green LED are constantly light up, no flashes. Strange things happened several times before this. The pi suddenly stops booting, and I cannot SSH into it. Then one day, when I just keep it running, it stops running and not responding (my ssh session is broken). Please help.

pcmanbob
Posts: 7255
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: Rpi4 Not Booting, Red & Green LED constantly on ( no flash)

Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:23 am

Hi.

You did not read the not booting sticky very well.

Not blinking four times with nothing but the power connected (and no SD-card) implies that the bootloader is not working correctly and should be reinstalled using recovery.bin. see https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... teeprom.md
if after recovery your PI still doesn't blink the ACT LED, then you can assume you somehow managed to blow up your PI, The common pitfalls sticky in beginners, (post #27) describes things that can lead to the destruction of your RPI, for example changing breadboard wiring without turning the RPI off first.
relevant documentation page : https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... teeprom.md
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

thomas5
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:51 am

Re: Rpi4 Not Booting, Red & Green LED constantly on ( no flash)

Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:24 am

pcmanbob wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:23 am
Hi.

You did not read the not booting sticky very well.

Not blinking four times with nothing but the power connected (and no SD-card) implies that the bootloader is not working correctly and should be reinstalled using recovery.bin. see https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... teeprom.md
if after recovery your PI still doesn't blink the ACT LED, then you can assume you somehow managed to blow up your PI, The common pitfalls sticky in beginners, (post #27) describes things that can lead to the destruction of your RPI, for example changing breadboard wiring without turning the RPI off first.
relevant documentation page : https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... teeprom.md
I don't understand, tell me Ii didn't broke my pi

pcmanbob
Posts: 7255
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: Rpi4 Not Booting, Red & Green LED constantly on ( no flash)

Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:18 am

Did you follow the instructions and attempt to reload the EEPROM ?
Recovery

If your Raspberry Pi 4 will not boot, it is possible that the SPI EEPROM has become corrupted.

To check, remove the SD card, disconnect the device from power, then reconnect it. If the green LED does not flash, you will need to reprogram the EEPROM:

Download the bootloader
SHA-256: 2c5610682edfa2c3a2a41832c687559d8f091b9e48abaeb8577cca2a0cc81839
Extract it to an empty FAT-formatted SD card and insert it into your Raspberry Pi 4
Connect the power and wait for the green LED to flash quickly
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

thomas5
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:51 am

Re: Rpi4 Not Booting, Red & Green LED constantly on ( no flash)

Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:02 am

pcmanbob wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:18 am
Did you follow the instructions and attempt to reload the EEPROM ?
Recovery

If your Raspberry Pi 4 will not boot, it is possible that the SPI EEPROM has become corrupted.

To check, remove the SD card, disconnect the device from power, then reconnect it. If the green LED does not flash, you will need to reprogram the EEPROM:

Download the bootloader
SHA-256: 2c5610682edfa2c3a2a41832c687559d8f091b9e48abaeb8577cca2a0cc81839
Extract it to an empty FAT-formatted SD card and insert it into your Raspberry Pi 4
Connect the power and wait for the green LED to flash quickly
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/
I have done that already. The thing is that green LED is on without any blink, no matter what I do.

pcmanbob
Posts: 7255
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: Rpi4 Not Booting, Red & Green LED constantly on ( no flash)

Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:08 am

Your problem may be related to the one in this thread : https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=253776

which suggests your pi is broken , you might try talking to you supplier to see if they will replace it under warranty.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

thomas5
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:51 am

Re: Rpi4 Not Booting, Red & Green LED constantly on ( no flash)

Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:53 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:08 am
Your problem may be related to the one in this thread : https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=253776

which suggests your pi is broken , you might try talking to you supplier to see if they will replace it under warranty.
Do you know why this happened? I have older models and all of them are working. I'm not sure if it's because of faulty product or my mistake.

pcmanbob
Posts: 7255
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: Rpi4 Not Booting, Red & Green LED constantly on ( no flash)

Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:40 pm

I have no idea why this is had happened and I doubt anyone else would know , unless some one from the foundation has any idea and is willing to talk about it.

Did you have anything connected to the gpio ? That is the most common way a pi is damaged.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

Return to “Troubleshooting”