IAmSpeedbump

Raspberry Pi 3B and 3B+ Headless

Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:09 am

I have a Rasberry Pi 3B and 3B+. I wish to make them both headless. I have downloaded the latest Raspbian Buster Lite. I create two new images. One for each Rasberry Pi. I enable SSH on both Pi's by adding an empty SSH file. I place the same wpa_supplicant.conf file on both images. I then place an SD card in each of the Raspberry Pi's. I first boot the Raspberry 3B+. I can find the Pi on my wireless network and can SSH into it with no issue. Everything on the Raspberry Pi 3B+ works as expected. Now for my issue. When I boot the Raspberry Pi 3B, I find it will not connect to my wireless network. What I have found is that it will connect to the network by wire. It will connect to the wireless network if I plug in a wireless dongle. The things is, I should not have to plug in an wireless dongle into the Raspberry Pi 3B. The Raspberry Pi 3B has wifi on board. So is this an issue with the Raspbian Buster Lite not having the required wireless driver for the Raspberry Pi 3B? If so is there a way to add it to the image prior to placing the SD card in the Raspberry?

bertlea

Re: Raspberry Pi 3B and 3B+ Headless

Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:46 pm

Did you tried to put the SD card that was working on the 3B+ to the 3B to see if that solve the issue? If the same SD card works on the 3B+ but not on the 3B, it is likely your 3B board's wifi module is faulty.

wh7qq

Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:51 pm

The 3B wireless antenna and range is pathetic compared to the 3B+. Distance and obstructions may be at work here. Unless both systems are right next to the AP, it is 'apples and oranges" to compare the two.

IAmSpeedbump

Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:01 am

Thank you for the quick response. Yes I did try swapping the SD card and I had the same result. I also place the Raspberry Pi right next to my router and had the same result.

HawaiianPi

Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:38 am

The 3B is 2.4GHz only, while the 3B+ is dual-band 2.4/5GHz, so if you are trying to connect them to a 5GHz network, only the 3B+ will work.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:54 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:38 am
The 3B is 2.4GHz only, while the 3B+ is dual-band 2.4/5GHz, so if you are trying to connect them to a 5GHz network, only the 3B+ will work.
+1, unless, of course, the router is dual-band when both should work, assuming all are setup correctly for the country they're located (IIRC some channels are "disallowed" in some areas).
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

IAmSpeedbump

Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:34 pm

Thank you for your quick response. Yes my wifi router is dual band. The dongle used on the 3B was 2.4ghz. Which added to my confusion on why the onboard wifi didn't connect but using the dongle did connect.

Return to “General discussion”