jwintour

Headless with display blanked

Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:52 am

I'm trying to get to a particular sort of headless setup.

I connect to my Pi3 via RDP and it works great, but the display still shows a desktop. If I used raspi-config to prevent booting into desktop, I get a console window on the local screen instead. What I'd really like is to have the screen blanked, but still be able to display video from omxplayer when it runs. Just no desktop and no console on the local screen. Is there a way to configure the Pi so that it has a working video output (HDMI), but that video output is not allowed for login?

jwintour

Re: Headless with display blanked

Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:01 am

@mogens Hm. That's interesting, but I actually wanted the full pi system, and mp4museum seems to be some sort of lobotomized pi that ONLY plays videos. I want to play videos too, and I'm already all set up with omxplayer and omxplayer-wrapper and it's mostly
good, except that between videos, I see a desktop (or console) on the local display. I don't want the user login process to use the local display at all, so that it's blank except when omxplayer plays a video.

I suspect there is some system configuration file that controls what devices are allowed for user login, I just don't know what it is.

scott_4217

Re: Headless with display blanked

Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:40 pm

Hello jwintour,

I think what you're asking for is a "virtual desktop." Maybe this approach will work.

From the desktop open Raspberry Pi Confirguration set:
boot to cli = on
VNC = disabled

SSH into RPi and run:
vncserver -showstatus -geometry 1280x800

This will open a virtual vnc desktop at:
Log file is /home/pi/.vnc/raspberrypi:1.log
New desktop is raspberrypi:1 (192.168.50.200:1)

To connect to the virtual desktop, in VNC connect to:
192.168.50.200:1

Return to “Beginners”