songk

VLC window closes and reopens after every video in random loops

Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:18 am

Hi all,

I am using a Raspberry Pi 0W and I am trying to play a series of videos (between 30 seconds to 4 minutes) on a computer monitor.
I am doing this by opening up the folder of videos to randomly loop in the VLC from the command prompt, and scheduling this task to begin at the same time everyday through crontab.
For some reason, after every video in the first loop or two, and occasionally in the loops after the first two, the vlc player window would close and then reopen in the span of one second. After I created the videos to play in a playlist, this occurs a little less, but still occurs. I have also already installed VLC with hardware acceleration, but it doesn't seem to do the job.

What do you think is a good solution to this problem?

jpochin

Re: VLC window closes and reopens after every video in random loops

Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:39 pm

I'm hitting the same problem, did you find a fix for this ?

songk

Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:20 am

Hi jpochin,
No this issue has yet to be resolved. But I suspect it is a hardware issue, that when playing videos on fullscreen, it takes a long time to pull up the next video so it goes through this process. I am currently trying the same script out on a better Raspberry Pi. The one that has this issue is the Raspberry Pi 0w, and I will try it on an upgraded Pi 4 and see how it goes.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:40 pm

That sounds like the standard VLC behaviour - at the start of every video clip it closes and opens the renderer at the appropriate resolution, mainly as the resolution may have changed.

A Pi0 is always going to struggle to work with VLC due to the way rendering is done. It should be OK when fullscreen, but not in a window as there are just so many pixels to copy around the place.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Return to “Troubleshooting”