whateverandever

Pi 4 won't boot without HDMI plugged in

Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:15 pm

I just installed "2019-09-26-raspbian-buster-full" on my new Raspberry Pi 4 and enabled VNC and SSH. When I went to make it headless, with only the power and LAN cables, I couldn't VNC into it. After a lot of diagnosing, I realized that it's just not booting until I plug the HDMI cable into it. If I plug it in without HDMI, and then plug in the HDMI 5 minutes later, it's still on the 4 raspberries screen, and then it starts the desktop.

My RP3 never had this issue, it always easily worked headless.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Last edited by whateverandever on Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whateverandever

Re: RP4 won't boot without HDMI plugged in

Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:52 pm

Can somebody please help?

The freshly installed Raspberry Pi 4 just won't boot unless HDMI is plugged in. I've re-flashed the SD card and the same problem persists.

If, after plugging in, I plug the HDMI cable into the right output, the 4 berries show up on screen and the Pi continues booting. But if no HDMI is ever plugged in, the Pi just doesn't load the desktop.

I bought this Pi to use as my home server and now I can't do anything with it because of this problem. I don't know what to do. The Pi 3 never had this problem, it worked as a headless server just fine.

Please somebody help.

davidcoton

Re: Pi 4 won't boot without HDMI plugged in

Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:58 pm

A few minutes searching finds this:
Adding hdmi_force_hotplug=1 to /boot/config.txt seems to have solved the problem. The Pi4 is running headless,
Source here.
Signature retired

klricks

Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:50 pm

Use sudo raspi-config to set a forced screen resolution. (Choose anything other than monitor default).

The reason is that by default (RPi4), if no screen is connected at boot then a display device is not created. Without a display device the GUI desktop does not start so any program that requires GUI will not start. Other RPi models did not have that issue because they would fall back to composite mode if no HDMI was connected. The RPi4 has composite mode disabled by default so no display device is created.
Setting a resolution mode with raspi-config or the GUI config tool or manual edits to config.txt as mentioned above, will force a display device on boot even without the HDMI connected as long as you don't choose the monitor default setting.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

whateverandever

Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:40 am

klricks wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:50 pm
Use sudo raspi-config to set a forced screen resolution. (Choose anything other than monitor default).

The reason is that by default (RPi4), if no screen is connected at boot then a display device is not created. Without a display device the GUI desktop does not start so any program that requires GUI will not start. Other RPi models did not have that issue because they would fall back to composite mode if no HDMI was connected. The RPi4 has composite mode disabled by default so no display device is created.
Setting a resolution mode with raspi-config or the GUI config tool or manual edits to config.txt as mentioned above, will force a display device on boot even without the HDMI connected as long as you don't choose the monitor default setting.

Thank you so much, this was the solution. I really appreciate the detailed explanation that you gave, and I was able to fix it using the raspi-config resolution section.

whateverandever

Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:41 am

davidcoton wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:58 pm
A few minutes searching finds this:
Adding hdmi_force_hotplug=1 to /boot/config.txt seems to have solved the problem. The Pi4 is running headless,
Source here.
Thank you for your help. I searched for hours but couldn't find the relevant info, mainly because most information was for previous versions of the Pi.

Gavinmc42

Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:04 am

If this is not done would remote VNC have no Desktop too?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

CypherOz

Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:49 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
VNC seems to work; I also have this set to force a video setting (/boot/config.txt)

Code: Select all

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force 1080p)
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=82
See: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... t/video.md
--
Regards, Kym
Retired software bloke from Adelaide, South Australia

whateverandever

Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:30 pm

Gavinmc42 wrote:
VNC indeed doesn't work, that's how my problem started. I usually install raspbian on my Pi and then make it headless right afterwards, because I do everything through VNC. But it just wasn't working on my new Pi 4, because of this problem. VNC would connect, but then give a blank screen with an error message (I forget what the wording of the message is).

I'm honestly surprised this issue isn't a common complaint from new Pi 4 owners. It should be among the "raspbian won't boot" stickied thread, or another stickied thread.

Anyways, thankfully I finally got the help of users who replied to this post, and told me how to fix it above.

krzysp

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:28 pm

When you see message in vnc, just login by ssh and type command:
sudo startx

After X server activation you should see the desktop by VNC

Return to “Troubleshooting”