timl132

Native Youtube application for raspberry pi?

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:35 pm

Hello,

I created a little raspberry pi tablet which works really well. However, it's just too slow. Web browsing is just unacceptably slow. I can't get chrome to play any video above 480p to play smoothly, and loading a page takes forever. Since I mainly use the tablet for youtube, I'm wondering if I can sorta work around the slow chrome problem by finding a native youtube player. I know for a fact the raspberry pi can play youtube at 1080p smoothely, I verified this by copying a youtube url into vlc and it plays fine. However, I still need to use chrome to find videos. So I am wondering if anyone knows a youtube client for raspberry pi that allows me to browse youtube using an offline GUI(no javascript/web browser) and use native features to playback video(e.g. omx or vlc or something else hw accelerated).

Does anyone know something like that?

Thanks!

fruitoftheloom

Re: Native Youtube application for raspberry pi?

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:07 am

timl132 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:35 pm
Hello,

I created a little raspberry pi tablet which works really well. However, it's just too slow. Web browsing is just unacceptably slow. I can't get chrome to play any video above 480p to play smoothly, and loading a page takes forever. Since I mainly use the tablet for youtube, I'm wondering if I can sorta work around the slow chrome problem by finding a native youtube player. I know for a fact the raspberry pi can play youtube at 1080p smoothely, I verified this by copying a youtube url into vlc and it plays fine. However, I still need to use chrome to find videos. So I am wondering if anyone knows a youtube client for raspberry pi that allows me to browse youtube using an offline GUI(no javascript/web browser) and use native features to playback video(e.g. omx or vlc or something else hw accelerated).

Does anyone know something like that?

Thanks!

Maybe ?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... hp?t=40860
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines: ChromeBox
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966393971.html
& Stone Desktop Intel CoreDuo circa 2010

Imperf3kt

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:21 pm

Not exactly what you're asking for, but it may work.
Have you considered Kodi with the YouTube app installed?
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Rose tinted glasses are difficult to see through.

BluPI2

Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:23 am

I know of smtube and minitube. I had no luck getting minitube to work, but smtube works wonderfully.

Both can be installed using apt-get.
Proud Owner of a Raspberry Pi 3B and 3B+ running Ubuntu Mate

Gavinmc42

Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:08 am

Freetube runs in Gentoo64, I just downloaded the binary arm64 version.
A recompile for A72 might be faster?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Return to “Beginners”