rya

Connecting Raspberry pi 4 to a DVI monitor

Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:00 pm

I'm planning to get an HDMI to DVI adapter to connect my pi 4 to a DVI monitor (I already have a micro HDMI to HDMI adapter). Do I need to make any changes to the code in config.txt found in the boot folder? (Also, I did boot the pi with raspbian).
Thanks!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Connecting Raspberry pi 4 to a DVI monitor

Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:51 pm

That should just work.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

HawaiianPi

Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:16 pm

jamesh wrote:
That should just work.
Assuming the multiple connector/adapter losses are acceptable.

Best to use as few adapters as possible. A direct micro-HDMI-DVI cable would be ideal, but I don't know if any exist. In lieu of that, a micro-HDMI adapter and HDMI-DVI cable (or a micro-HDMI cable and HDMI-DVI adapter) will eliminate one adapter and associated losses. Note that some DVI adapters do not pass through the ground connection, and that is a problem for Pi computers.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

W. H. Heydt

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:54 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:16 pm
jamesh wrote:
That should just work.
Assuming the multiple connector/adapter losses are acceptable.

Best to use as few adapters as possible. A direct micro-HDMI-DVI cable would be ideal, but I don't know if any exist. In lieu of that, a micro-HDMI adapter and HDMI-DVI cable (or a micro-HDMI cable and HDMI-DVI adapter) will eliminate one adapter and associated losses. Note that some DVI adapters do not pass through the ground connection, and that is a problem for Pi computers.
I bought a fistful of Monoprice HDMI to DVI adapters to use with the RPF micro-HDMI to HDMI cables and I've used that arrangement with no issues. Doing the adapter the other way should work equally well.

pcmanbob

Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:17 am

I use an HDMI to DVI cable for my pi's , for the pi 4 I had to add a micro HDMI to HDMI adaptor , this resulted in a my monitor suffering with the loss of signal randomly,

By enabling config_hdmi_boost in config.txt and slowly increasing the value from the default , I now have a stable HDMI signal.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... t/video.md

So just be aware that you might have to do this too.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

jbudd

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:17 pm

Note that some DVI adapters do not pass through the ground connection, and that is a problem for Pi computers.
I found that this didn't work
bad.jpg
bad.jpg (51.49 KiB) Viewed 5767 times

While this, combined with the official micro HDMI cable did
good.jpg
good.jpg (169.79 KiB) Viewed 5767 times

W. H. Heydt

Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:44 pm

jbudd wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:17 pm
While this, combined with the official micro HDMI cable did good.jpg
That looks like the ones Monoprice sells... https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2029 Their price is favorable, as well at $3.

Morphy99

Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:28 pm

Is there anything different about the RPi4 HDMI apart from the size? I have a DVI to HDMI adapter the same as pictured working one and it refuses to work with my TV, I get no signal. Strange thing is this adapter works perfectly with RPi 2 and 3.

drgeoff

Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:47 pm

Morphy99 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:28 pm
Is there anything different about the RPi4 HDMI apart from the size? I have a DVI to HDMI adapter the same as pictured working one and it refuses to work with my TV, I get no signal. Strange thing is this adapter works perfectly with RPi 2 and 3.
Are you plugging in to the micro-HDMI nearest the USB-C power input?

Morphy99

Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:03 pm

drgeoff wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:47 pm
Are you plugging in to the micro-HDMI nearest the USB-C power input?
Yep. The cable works fine when connected to the HDMI of the TV. It's when I put the HDMI to DVI adapter on it it stops working. Same adapter works ok with RPi 2 and 3. If anyone knows of a cable or adapter combination available in the UK and has been tested with RPi 4 then I'd be grateful.

LTolledo

Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:57 am

I have these cable-adapter combination:
HDMI-Micro_HDMI-slim.jpg
HDMI-Micro_HDMI-slim.jpg (7.42 KiB) Viewed 4733 times
2set_HDMI_to_DVI.jpg
2set_HDMI_to_DVI.jpg (50.17 KiB) Viewed 4733 times
RPi4B-2G connected to monitor with HDMI, DVI and VGA connectors. pictured below is the one that I have:
10in_IPS_monitor.jpg
10in_IPS_monitor.jpg (48.57 KiB) Viewed 4733 times

it worked, and still working as I write this post....
and doing update and upgrade on it (RPi4B-2G) now....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

m1kta

Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:42 pm

Tried a few options (different cables, with adapters and then no adapters) and I did a ground continuity test too from Pi to Monitor, with it all connected. But nothing seen on the montors.

They are a bit old (tried two sorts) both Acer G226HQL and S191HQL, both have VGA and DVI only, both run Linux fine (from a normal PC) or used as extended desktop from a laptop but neither will work with the Pi using the HDMI to DVI or a micro HDMI to DVI cable (The monitors are vintage 2010 and 2013).

I was beginning to think the Pi4 was dead so grabbed smaller screens of Pi3 Octoprint setup to test Pi run fine off a 5" HDMI LCD and a 3.5" TFT plugged into the GPIO pins both see the boot up fine so it has to be the micro HDMI connections.

I tried my TV just to see if the Pi's are not functioning (it has a native 4K HDMI socket) and they work fine so I would guess the monitors have to be recent too, mine are too old perhaps?

Dom

m1kta

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:20 pm

Replying to own post isn't good, but hopefully might prevent others wandering about with this issue. DONT expect to try an old image from a working Pi3 etc.. it will fail. It must be one of the latest ones (not exactly sure why at this point but sure I will eventually) and used raspberian, not ubuntu, and it booted fine. Ran with CLI as displays were too old for the default resolution expected The displays not supporting the 1920 etc resolution raspberry seems to default to so went around that loop a few times fixing it now got twin monitors running at 1280 x 960 and 60Hz.

For record I had to boot it, wait a bit (you will see the green led flash a bit as it starts up then CTRL-ALT-F1 and log in as pi etc then run raspi-config, change to 1024x768 in the interfaces menu, reboot and then with a monitor that could do 1920 change the resolution. HDMI 'should' detect the possible resolutions available so you can boot to GUI and then change with the preferences sub menu but in this it case didn't. Maybe as vintage 2010 bit too old? Once set correctly, booted with the actual monitors I will use and working fine.

Lesson is READ the fail to boot sticky (post 4 about the Pi4) if coming from older Pi2 or Pi3 to a Pi4.

Have fun.

Dom

m1kta

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:24 pm

As asked.

I used the PiHut Official Raspberry mini HDMI to HDMI leads (£5 each) and couple of HDMI to DVI-D adapters I had already that DID pass the ground connection.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:30 pm

m1kta wrote:
As asked.

I used the PiHut Official Raspberry mini HDMI to HDMI leads (£5 each) and couple of HDMI to DVI-D adapters I had already that DID pass the ground connection.
Pi4B has *micro*HDMI connectors. It's the Pi0/Pi0W/Pi0WH that have *mini*HDMI.

HawaiianPi

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:47 am

I have used a micro-HDMI to HDMI adapter cable, to a standard HDMI-HDMI cable, to an HDMI to DVI adapter, and it worked fine for me. This is with my particular combination of adapters, cables and monitor, and while it "should just work" as jamesh said, reality doesn't always cooperate.

I was using a Monoprice brand micro-HDMI adapter cable and Ultra Slim Series HDMI cable, along with a couple of DVI-HDMI adapters I've had kicking around for years. One of the DVI adapters is a generic one I probably got from eBay, the other was a Monster Cables brand adapter that was given to me.

So multiple adapters can work, but it's still best to avoid them if possible.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

m1kta

Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:51 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:30 pm
m1kta wrote:
As asked.

Pi4B has *micro*HDMI connectors. It's the Pi0/Pi0W/Pi0WH that have *mini*HDMI.
OK point taken They are smaller ones anyway. Micro.

m1kta

Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:52 am

m1kta wrote:
As asked.

Should be MICRO not mini for anyone following this.

rtbenso

Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:02 pm

config.txt change
------------------------------
#Sets DVI mode (no sound)
hdmi_drive=1

Hardware:
1. I plugged mini hdmi to hmdi adapter to the video port closest to the 3.5mm audio
2. HDMI cable
3. HDMI to DVI
4. Plugged in 3.5 to external speakers

It works!

Return to “Beginners”