compru47

Span images/videos across two monitors 3840x1080

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:47 pm

I have an unique use case that I need advice about. It is a Pi4 that's used as an advertising player.

The pi4 is connected to 7" touchscreen via DSI port. The two micro-HDMI ports are connected to external monitors with resolution of 1920x1080 each.

I want to be able to display ads on the two external monitors. Ads would span across both monitors with a resolution of 3840x1080. The 7" touchscreen would have an interface to manage the ads.

Is there a video player that can span across two monitors with resolution of 3840x1080?

I have not been able to find a good discussion/solution around this use case. Thanks for your advice.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Span images/videos across two monitors 3840x1080

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:11 am

Stretching video over two screens has already been discussed, and I believe is now implemented with infobeamer.
It'll need to be hevc encoded video as the h264 decoder has a max res of 1080p. You pass the same image to both displays with appropriate source cropping rectangles.

Also covered previously, the Pi can only drive two displays simultaneously. There is a theoretical mode where it can drive 3, but then there is no option for offscreen compositon or transposing. We are not currently looking at exposing that mode of operation.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:44 am

What is the recommended player for playing hevc coded videos and how to make sure playback on both screens is in sync (as to my understanding GPU only can't decode hevc video; CPU is needed as well dor this)?

6by9

Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:16 pm

aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:44 am
What is the recommended player for playing hevc coded videos and how to make sure playback on both screens is in sync (as to my understanding GPU only can't decode hevc video; CPU is needed as well dor this)?
Currently I'm not aware of any player that can do that on any standard Linux platform.

I know dividuum has been working to get info-beamer to work on the dual displays of Pi4, but don't know if he's integrated HEVC decode into that yet.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

dividuum

Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:35 pm

6by9 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:16 pm
I know dividuum has been working to get info-beamer to work on the dual displays of Pi4, but don't know if he's integrated HEVC decode into that yet.
Working on that and that's definitely something I need to support. About that: What's the license for the code in the 2711 branch of popcornmix's FFmpeg branch? There's only Copyright (c) June 2017 Raspberry Pi Ltd in one of the files and no info in others. LGPL? Is there a way to clarify that? Or should I open up an issue in that repository?

Do you know if the /dev/argon-hevcmem based communication with the decoder will be supported in the future? The commit makes it sound a bit like that's more of a temporary solution that might be removed once the v4l2 method is available.
info-beamer hosted - A user and programmer friendly digital signage platform for the Pi: https://info-beamer.com/hosted

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”