Kurt-NEPA

Re: No WiFi on a 4B-4GB with Raspbian Buster

Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:19 pm

Enderseric - you seem to be having a similar problem to mine. I hope someone can help you. You might try doing some of things suggest on this thread

Kurt

HawaiianPi

Re: No WiFi on a 4B-1GB

Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:40 pm

Endorseric wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:43 am
I assembled the Raspberry and everything worked, including WiFi.
I then turned the Raspberry off and on again and WiFi didn't work, hovering over the WiFi icon showed the following message:

eth0 link is down
wlan0 Not associated

Is this a hardware failure or a software failure.
Not associated means no wireless networks are configured (or no configured networks are in range), but WiFi is likely working.

Are you using a metal case?
Are you using any USB 3.0 devices?
Is your wireless network using 2.4 or 5GHZ, or both (and if both, do they have the same SSD)?

USB 3.0 devices are known to cause interference on 2.4GHz wireless devices.
I've seen posts indicating problems with 2.4+5GHz networks sharing the same SSID.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Kurt-NEPA

Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:05 pm

Well, I'm still trying to connect, either wired or wireless, to my Pi4. Somehow Raspbian is not connecting to my router.

I managed to get wicd-curses installed and operating. It can clearly see my 2.4GHz wireless but not my 5GHz. I configured the 2.4GHz connection, but when I try to connect it attempts to authenticate until it times out. No success here

I continue to get "can't communicate with wpa_supplicant" errors.

In desperation I installed Manjaro XFCE. It loaded and connected to my wireless immediately. So at least I know my Pi4 network adapter is working. I'm beginning to like Manjaro.

Thanks

scarecrowsong

Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:04 pm

I am having the same exact problems as OP.

Endorseric

Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:02 am

I have had the problem of no wireless connection.Eventually placed a wireless modem close to the Raspberry 4 and it picked up the signal. So maybe it needs a strong signal when booting.

ttucro

Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:20 pm

I have the same problem for several days. Since I installed a PI 3B+ running FlightAware 24/7. Since then the Pi 4B doesn't connect to the internet.
Connects to the router though ?
The Pi 3B+ is connected to the router by a cable and it also can get on the internet ?

What is the problem with the Pi 4B software? I am getting tired of reformatting SD cards and re-installing different versions of Raspbian Buster.
Someone out there should be able to find a simple fix.

scarecrowsong

Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:58 am

After reading through these posts I tried changing my resolution from 1920 or 1040 to 800 and it worked. So for some reason if my resolution is too high the wifi wont connect. That makes no sense to me. I have an official power block too so ... anyone have an idea on what is causing this?

Andyroo

Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:13 am

It may be a speed negotiation issue for the wired connection.

I've seen lots of kit fail to get a hard wired connection (not WiFi though) due to speed hiccups - see if you can set the speed on the router - you may have to start slow and work upwards.

DriftonAloft

Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:47 am

So I'm having the same issue with my Raspberry Pi 4

things to note my wifi works on other wireless networks besides my home network
previous Raspberry Pi's 3/3+ the wifi works on my home network

checking my logs i receive the related to dhcp

Code: Select all

raspberrypi dhcpcd[440]: wlan0: soliciting a DHCP lease
raspberrypi dhcpcd[440]: wlan0: offered 192.168.0.5 from 192.168.0.1
raspberrypi dhcpcd[440]: wlan0: reject NAK via 192.168.0.1
raspberrypi dhcpcd[440]: wlan0: probing for IPv4LL
raspberrypi dhcpcd[440]: wlan0: using IPV4LL address 169.254.19.189
raspberrypi dhcpcd[440]: wlan0: adding route to 169.254.0.0/16
raspberrypi dhcpcd[440]: wlan0: adding default route
which repeats every 3-6 seconds

any help would be appreciated

ttucro

Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:43 pm

I solved my problem. It was the router.
My TP-LINK TL-WR841N V9 was the problem

I turned off the router and all the other things connected to it including the cable modem, waited a minute or so.
I turned on the the Pi 4B which was across the room. Then turned on the router with all the other connections.
The Pi 3B+ booted OK and started Flightradar24 via the lan cable. The Pi 4B came up with a connection to the internet.
All other things connected working OK now.

Atari2020

Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:33 pm

That is very interesting, but could you elaborate a bit more on your problems and the solution?

I have a TP Line 722 usb wifi adaptor and with the Pi 4 and either a Logitech 540 wireless kb or with the Canakit wireless keyboard there are skipped and repeated characters when the wifi is on. The Pi 3 with the same hardware is fine. The Pi 3 running the same version of Buster installed on the Pi 4 works fine. I am getting a wired keyboard and will try using the built in wifi as well to find the problem. I suspect the wifi adaptor is causing the problems with the KB and the Pi 4.

Hoochrulez55

Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:08 pm

I have this same issue with my pi 4. Brand new 4GB B model. I’m using the official power supply and case. Samaung evo class 10 ad card. The wifi has only managed to grab a network one time and it was brief. The wifi has failed to connect since. On first boot up in asks to search for wifi. Same result. It fails and times out after 30 seconds or so. Why can’t I connect? This is getting ridiculous. I formatted the 64Gb to fat 32 so it would read everything properly on boot up. The sd is not corrupt it is heathy. It detects wifi networks but once you put a password in, it does nothing at all once you hit okay. I remembered I had an ethernet cable so I have an internet connection but I can’t perform any of the sudo commands in the terminal window. Oh I don’t even see the list of networks now. It says no wireless interfaces found. What the hell. I’m returning all of this garbage if things don’t get fixed soon... it has failed once again to fetch any updates.

scarecrowsong

Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:10 am

Has anyone else tried changing the resolution like I did? i can confirm that the wifi works perfectly when in 800X but as soon as I go to 1080 or 720 it will not connect. It sees the SSID but refuses to make a connection.

impensj

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:38 pm

My "wireless problem" basicly seems to be dhcpcd service related. The dhcpcd service crashes completly as soon as it (probably) gets an IPv6 address (slaac) through the wireless interface. From this point forward it affects all network configuration, even the wired LAN does not receive it's DHCP configuration anymore. Since all network related options in raspi-config fail too from this point onwards the situation really becomes fustrating.

Steps I took to get basic network functionality back:
1. sudo vi /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
either remove or remark the network={ ... } part
2. sudo systemctl restart dhcpcd.service

After this the dhcpcd/network icon (upper right just next to the time in the GUI) changed from 'broken' back to 'normal'... plus it started functioning again (whew). raspi-config networking options too started to act normally again after this change (yes!). Furthermore the wired LAN interface started working too (really nice).

Probably dhcpcd will go south again once I reapply my wireless network connection settings. My next step is to try and disable IPv6 router advertisements of my network router and try wireless again (fingers crossed).

My current /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf with everything working except wireless connection (yet) contains:
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=NL

impensj

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:34 pm

As it turns out IPv6 SLAAC on my wireless connection did not confuse dhcpcd. The router also has a DHCPv6 server, turning the router's DHCPv6 server on or off troggles whether dhcpcd crashes the PI4. Other wireless Linux machines in my network do not share this problem.

Kurt-NEPA

Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:05 pm

impensj, Thanks for comments. I am the OP. I think you are onto something

I just changed my router setting for IPv6 from "use DCHP server" to "Auto Config". I rebooted my Pi4 and my wireless is working. I still want to do some more testing before I declare victory, but this clearly changed my wireless connection. Now I have to make sure it did not break something else on my home network.

Thanks, Kurt

Corfromleuven

Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:07 pm

I tested the setting of my modem extensively after failing to have stable wifi both on 2,4 and 5 GHz bands. Even after so many updates the wifi isn't working properly. It boots, holds the wifi for a few moments and then stalls. Connects again, stalls again in endless succession. Sometimes when network trafic from neighbours is very low (after 10 PM on a saturday evening) it works fairly well. I checked with a wifi analyser app on my android phone and decided that I needed shifting to another band were less channels of neighbouring wifi routers were active. This didn't help either. I will try to replicate the said config (I will use nano instead of vi if that is alright with you) and let you know what is the result.

Corfromleuven

Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:33 pm

Tried exactly to replicate the idea mentioned a couple of posts above here. Following error message: Feiled to restart dhpcd.service: Unit dhpcd.service not found. Not netwerk any more at all. I give up and wil send my unit back to the distributer. No wifi works and this is a major issue. Can't use this board for anything I want to build if it doesn't have decent wifi.

Yuki.K

Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:14 pm

I had the same problem on my brand-new 4B-4GB with Buster 10.1. The SSID of my WiFi router appeared on the list of WiFi networks, but it remained to be not associated. I re-installed Buster 10.1 twice using NOOBS 3.2.1 and Image (Kernel version: 4.19), but the both didn't work.

Accidentally my Raspi's WiFi (WPA2) started to work with the following steps,
1) Add the following lines to the end of "/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf"

network= {
        ssid="Your WiFi SSID"
        psk="Your WiFi Password"
        proto=RSN
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        pairwise=CCMP
        auth_alg=OPEN
}
2) Add the following lines to the end of "/etc/dhcpcd.conf"

Interface wlan0
        env ifwireless=1
        env wpa_supplicant_drive=wext,n180211
3) Reboot Raspberry Pi

4) If your WiFi is still 'Not associated', try to change the resolution of your display to 1920x1080 with "sudo raspi-config"-[Advanced Options]-[Resolution]. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it worked in my case.

Actually I was fed up with my situation, decided to give up using WiFi and go to my friend's house to borrow his wired network system.
When I borrowed his 20-inch LCD, I found that my Raspi's WiFi was working before connecting his network system (changed resolution to 1920x1080 automatically at this time).
But when I returned home, my Raspi's WiFi became not to work again.

I use a 7-inch touch panel display (default resolution 1024x600) for the Raspi in my house. The only difference was the monitor.
After I changed the resolution to 1920x1080 for 7-inch TPD, my Raspi's WiFi started to work properly.
Three days have passed since my WiFi started to work, it is still working with over twenty times reboot.

When my WiFi didn't work, Raspbian Buster choosed a lower resolution (like 640x480) automatically due to default setting as "Monitor preffered resolution". But after the WiFi started to work, Buster doesn't choose a lower resolution automatically though the resolution set to default.
I have confirmed only once that WiFi became not to work when I select a lower resolution again, but I can't imagine how display resolution affect WiFi.

Anyway I hope this information helps you.

jgreeley

Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:06 am

I may have the same problem but do not know how to add the code that you suggest. Where do I find this code file? How do I modify it?

Yuki.K

Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:15 pm

Hi jgreeley,
I'm sorry to notice your post late.

1) To edit "/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf", type the following command on LXTerminal.

sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Nano (a text editor) will open 'wpa_supplicant.conf' file, then add the following lines to the end of the file.
(NOTE: If the following declarations partially exist in the file, add only non-existent declarations)

network= {
        ssid="Your WiFi SSID"
        psk="Your WiFi Password"
        proto=RSN
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        pairwise=CCMP
        auth_alg=OPEN
}
When you finished to add/edit the lines, press [Ctrl]+[o] keys to overwrite the file and press [Enter] to determine the file name to be saved.
You can quit Nano to press [Ctrl]+[x].

2) To edit "/etc/dhcpcd.conf" , type the following command on LXTerminal.

sudo nano /etc/dhcpcd.conf
Nano will open 'dhcpcd.conf' file, then add the following lines to the end of the file.

Interface wlan0
        env ifwireless=1
        env wpa_supplicant_drive=wext,n180211
When you finished to add/edit the lines, press [Ctrl]+[o] keys to overwrite the file and press [Enter] to determine the file name to be saved.
You can quit Nano to press [Ctrl]+[x].

I hope it goes well.

MDiamondil

Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:04 pm

I'm coming in a bit late to this conversation but I've been dealing with this problem for some time. Since Buster on the PI 4, my wifi stopped connecting. I tracked it down to the regional settings on the router. As long as my router settings are North America, nothing connects. As soon as I change to Europe, everything works fine. The above applies even if I set Buster regional settings to North America - it simply won't connect to a North America router.

I wonder if anyone at the Raspberry Pi Foundation has looked at Buster and US Regional settings?

Mike

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:17 pm

MDiamondil wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:04 pm
I'm coming in a bit late to this conversation but I've been dealing with this problem for some time. Since Buster on the PI 4, my wifi stopped connecting. I tracked it down to the regional settings on the router. As long as my router settings are North America, nothing connects. As soon as I change to Europe, everything works fine. The above applies even if I set Buster regional settings to North America - it simply won't connect to a North America router.

I wonder if anyone at the Raspberry Pi Foundation has looked at Buster and US Regional settings?

Mike
Weird, not something that has been flagged up before IIRC.

Can you add an issue to our github repo please, with all the details you can muster? That way it won't get forgotten.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

raybo

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:03 am

I have been fighting this same issue, I have reinstalled 2020-02-05-raspbian-buster-full and then run an update and then upgrade, still no luck. Each newer version seems to be harder to use than the last!
After a whole (wasted day), I happened upon "wpa_supplicant -Dnl80211 -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf" which brought up wlan0 but wpa_supplicant -Dnl80211 -iwlan1 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf would not bring up wlan1.

I added this:
nohup wpa_supplicant -Dnl80211 -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf &
to /etc/rc.local, this seems like a sledgehammer approach, but I am leaving on a trip and I needed this to work (last week).

BTW raspi-config will connect with wpa_supplicant after running that command. Seems to me like the right hand has no idea there is a left hand.

g1gsw

Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:55 am

I am also getting problems with my pi 4 wifi and buster, it is worse on the latest buster which was put on line in February 2020. I have tried all things sugested here with no luck. My wifi is working as it sees my router fine and has worked great up until recently so something in an update has changed breaking it I assume. I hope it gets resolved soon.

Return to “Troubleshooting”