legogris

Re: Guide: Installation of *VANILLA* Debian 10.0 or later on Pi 3B/3B+

Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:21 am

Thanks for this!
It installed fine for me, with one exception: The installer marked the ESP partition as 0xef despite the output looking like it should in the partitioning (could be related to that I set up encrypted root: Basically an ext2 of 500M mounted at /boot, and an encrypted ext4 at /, no LVM). This resulted in a black screen (no rainbow) after reboot.

Just had to pop the sdcard back in another computer after installation finished and remark the ESP partition as 0xe and then it boots fine.
Last edited by legogris on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

legogris

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:48 pm

I can also add that in order to get dropbear-initramfs working with cryproot at boot, I had to:

Add the ethernet driver module to initramfs:

Code: Select all

# echo lan78xx >> /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
Wait for physical network interface to be visible before configuring networking by adding

sleep 3
right before

[ "$BOOT" != nfs ] || configure_networking
in

/usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-premount/dropbear

Also, I don't get graphical boot (not that that's a big deal, just noting)

empanada

Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:47 pm

Thank you all, specially the post starter Akeo, for this great job.
I'm a Debian user from 15 years ago, and I would prefer to use debian rather than raspbian for a bunch of reasons (mainly that it's the most free operating system from my point of view).
I have been using raspbian two or three years ago. Those days I'm having big troubles to update my raspberries so I'm considering to migrate to debian. I' ll focus on automation and interfacing, so I need full support for GPIO, SPI, I2C, reliable and full video, wifi, ethernet, usb...
My doubt's are mainly for the drivers/firmwares side: does debian have a lack of hardware support compared to raspbian ?
I know that raspbian has certains custom adds but I would know if those differences are critical to make a professional use of raspberries.
Thank you in advance.

Return to “Debian”