bartender
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:19 pm

omxplayer won't render subtitles

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:37 am

I tried to play various files with subtitles using omxplayer, but it never actually shows the subtitles. On console it says that subtitle stream is found and its index is 1. In omxplayer.log it says that subtitle thread is dead.
Distro: Raspbian.

henle
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Re: omxplayer won't render subtitles

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:16 pm

There is probably not enough GPU memory available. You can try changing your memory split, or download this version https://github.com/torarin/omxplayer/downloads, which uses less memory.

thakoer
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:31 pm

Re: omxplayer won't render subtitles

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:35 pm

I have a problem with my subtitles. If press on the screen below for subtitles. it does not popup. to choose subtitles.

21:22:47 T:2976855056 ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::DecoderEventHandler OMX.broadcom.audio_mixer - OMX_ErrorPortUnpopulated port 0, cannot parse input stream
21:22:47 T:2790990864 NOTICE: OMXClock using video as reference
21:22:47 T:2790990864 NOTICE: OMXPlayer: closing video stream
21:22:47 T:2790990864 NOTICE: Closing video stream
21:22:47 T:2746844176 ERROR: EXCEPTION: XBMC is not playing any media file
21:22:47 T:2772067344 NOTICE: thread end: video_thread

i was playing a movie 50 first dates. very strangem

henle
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Re: omxplayer won't render subtitles

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:51 pm

thakoer wrote:I have a problem with my subtitles. If press on the screen below for subtitles. it does not popup. to choose subtitles.

21:22:47 T:2976855056 ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::DecoderEventHandler OMX.broadcom.audio_mixer - OMX_ErrorPortUnpopulated port 0, cannot parse input stream
21:22:47 T:2790990864 NOTICE: OMXClock using video as reference
21:22:47 T:2790990864 NOTICE: OMXPlayer: closing video stream
21:22:47 T:2790990864 NOTICE: Closing video stream
21:22:47 T:2746844176 ERROR: EXCEPTION: XBMC is not playing any media file
21:22:47 T:2772067344 NOTICE: thread end: video_thread

i was playing a movie 50 first dates. very strangem
XBMC handles subtitles differently from omxplayer.

thakoer
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:31 pm

Re: omxplayer won't render subtitles

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:55 pm

Wheren is the problem the. By scriptmaker of subtitles or by the addons or by the raspbmc ?

henle
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Re: omxplayer won't render subtitles

Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:01 pm

thakoer wrote:Wheren is the problem the. By scriptmaker of subtitles or by the addons or by the raspbmc ?
You can try filing a bug report at https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues.

bartender
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:19 pm

Re: omxplayer won't render subtitles

Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:04 pm

I now have 512M board with 128M dedicated to GPU, but still don't see any subtitles.
I can't find messages about the thread death either.

Console output:

Code: Select all

file : [HorribleSubs] Tsuritama - 01 [1080p].mkv result 0 format matroska,webm audio streams 1 video streams 1 chapters 0 subtitles 1
Video codec omx-h264 width 1920 height 1080 profile 100 fps 23.809525
Audio codec aac channels 2 samplerate 44100 bitspersample 16
Subtitle count : 1 state on : index 1

have a nice day ;)
Log: http://bpaste.net/show/62831/

henle
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Re: omxplayer won't render subtitles

Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:12 pm

bartender wrote:I now have 512M board with 128M dedicated to GPU, but still don't see any subtitles.
I can't find messages about the thread death either.

Console output:

Code: Select all

file : [HorribleSubs] Tsuritama - 01 [1080p].mkv result 0 format matroska,webm audio streams 1 video streams 1 chapters 0 subtitles 1
Video codec omx-h264 width 1920 height 1080 profile 100 fps 23.809525
Audio codec aac channels 2 samplerate 44100 bitspersample 16
Subtitle count : 1 state on : index 1

have a nice day ;)
Log: http://bpaste.net/show/62831/
Could it be related to this? https://github.com/huceke/omxplayer/issues/59

User avatar
redhawk
Posts: 3465
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:13 pm
Location: ::1

Re: omxplayer won't render subtitles

Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:13 pm

What subs are you using?? srt work fine with OpenELEC (XBMC) providing the sub filename matches the video filename. i.e. video.mp4 + video.srt

Richard S.

bartender
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:19 pm

Re: omxplayer won't render subtitles

Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:04 pm

I use mostly ASS subs in matroska files. So they aren't supported, that is very sad.

henle
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Re: omxplayer won't render subtitles

Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:26 pm

bartender wrote:I use mostly ASS subs in matroska files. So they aren't supported, that is very sad.
Would it be any good, for your use, to have them displayed without any styling?

bartender
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:19 pm

Re: omxplayer won't render subtitles

Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:33 pm

henle wrote:Would it be any good, for your use, to have them displayed without any styling?
Yes. I can make a script for extracting them and running omxplayer then. I don't see any options for disabling styling in omxplayer.

henle
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Re: omxplayer won't render subtitles

Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:39 pm

bartender wrote:
henle wrote:Would it be any good, for your use, to have them displayed without any styling?
Yes. I can make a script for extracting them and running omxplayer then. I don't see any options for disabling styling in omxplayer.
It's not implemented currently, but I'll have a look tonight.

henle
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Re: omxplayer won't render subtitles

Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:47 am

I have SSA subtitles working now, you can download the latest version here: https://github.com/torarin/omxplayer/downloads

thakoer
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:31 pm

Re: omxplayer won't render subtitles

Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:51 am

The strange is that subtitles working ong ice films but not in 1 channel.

thakoer
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:31 pm

Re: omxplayer won't render subtitles

Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:51 am

henle wrote:I have SSA subtitles working now, you can download the latest version here: https://github.com/torarin/omxplayer/downloads

How can put this in raspberry ?

henle
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Re: omxplayer won't render subtitles

Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:05 pm

thakoer wrote:
henle wrote:I have SSA subtitles working now, you can download the latest version here: https://github.com/torarin/omxplayer/downloads
How can put this in raspberry ?
In Raspbian, download the latest deb file and install it with

Code: Select all

dpkg -i omxplayer_3~experimental~git20121208~ebfa6fc6_armhf.deb

amyren
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:49 am

Re: omxplayer won't render subtitles

Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:16 pm

henle wrote:There is probably not enough GPU memory available. You can try changing your memory split, or download this version https://github.com/torarin/omxplayer/downloads, which uses less memory.
Thanks for this version, now I can see subtitles on omxplayer for the first time on my pi :)
I already had the memory split to 128/128, but often omxplayer did freeze if I tried to activate subtitles.
This version also seem to be faster, less waiting time when skipping forward or backward with the cursor keys.

bartender
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:19 pm

Re: omxplayer won't render subtitles

Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:47 am

By the way, I tried to compile omxplayer from Git on Pi, but it fails on ffmpeg's configure stage.
Guess I'll have to try cross-compiling on PC if I want to have a recent version in the future.
Is it possible to place it under /usr/local then?

henle
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Re: omxplayer won't render subtitles

Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:19 am

bartender wrote:By the way, I tried to compile omxplayer from Git on Pi, but it fails on ffmpeg's configure stage.
Guess I'll have to try cross-compiling on PC if I want to have a recent version in the future.
Is it possible to place it under /usr/local then?
You don't have to recompile ffmpeg, you can link to the .so files in the deb package. It's certainly possible to copy it over to /usr/local.

SuperNano
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:48 pm

Re: omxplayer won't render subtitles

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:10 am

henle wrote:There is probably not enough GPU memory available. You can try changing your memory split, or download this version https://github.com/torarin/omxplayer/downloads, which uses less memory.
I tried downloading the latest version from this site and now my subtitles are shown, but I don't get any audio. I'm running from lxterminal using '-o hdmi' and I have 128 of GPU memory. Any ideas?

henle
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Re: omxplayer won't render subtitles

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:03 pm

SuperNano wrote: I tried downloading the latest version from this site and now my subtitles are shown, but I don't get any audio. I'm running from lxterminal using '-o hdmi' and I have 128 of GPU memory. Any ideas?
Not sure. Old firmware, maybe? Any errors in the log?

KenT
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: omxplayer won't render subtitles

Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:12 pm

Try -o hdmi -t 1 the 1 might be 2 or 3
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

bartender
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:19 pm

Re: omxplayer won't render subtitles

Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:47 pm

I use Arch now and installed omxplayer from AUR today (it is Git version).
And there are some regressions compared to omxplayer which is present in Raspbian:

1. When I launch it, the terminal (tty1 or remote ssh) gets cleared. I understand the reason behind this, but I'd like to see some output at least in SSH session. How do you enable it?
2. There's a video .mkv file with SRT subtitles inside which I was able to play before. But now there are no subtitles and the sound is weird. When the characters speak, they produce odd noises. I can upload the file for you.
3. It crashed on that file once. It left me with no network and EXT4 errors in system journal. Can't reproduce it yet.

Also, getting omxplayer to output its version is impossible.

KenT
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact: Website

Re: omxplayer won't render subtitles

Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:55 pm

On Raspbian a later version of omxplayer needed 128MB RAM to display sub-titles whereas an earlier version worked with 64
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

Return to “Troubleshooting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mi7chy and 39 guests