Triv

Simulated novel

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:17 am

Hey guys, not sure if this is the correct place to post this, so my apologies if not.

I have an idea for a simulated novel - sort of a choose your own adventure game, however I'm not super familiar with how pi would work with this sort of thing

In terms of, which product I should go for, programming languages I should look into for setting this sort of thing up etc, I would greatly appreciate any advice or discourse to help point me in the right direction
Also, do you think raspberry pi would be the right platform to base this sort of thing on? Or perhaps have suggestions of another form for such a project?

Thanks in advance - Triv

karrika

Re: Simulated novel

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:00 am

I assume that "Visual novel" is closer to what you are looking for.

Two years ago I found a version of Google Blocks with a Visual novel addition for some retro platforms. But I am not aware if any exist for Raspberry Pi.
vn.png
vn.png (130.15 KiB) Viewed 762 times
Creating some custom primitives for scratch would be a great idea.

Triv

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:09 am

Hmmm, I was thinking more in terms of a text document that can open into links etc, kind of like a series of websites connected as a document - I could probably do it in word, but I want something more in terms of software that you can just open straight into it as though it was an actual book

Maybe it would be better as an app, or just a website though perhaps? Thanks for the input!

scotty101

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:32 pm

A webpage sounds ideal for this.

The code club website has a "linked room" exercise that you could adapt for your purposes.

https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... nked-rooms
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

Andyroo

Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:10 am

Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

Triv

Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:26 am

Thanks guys! I'll give these a look!

hippy

Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:22 pm

Setting aside how you manage, create, edit your novel; if you can have it as a set of linked web pages, you can test it in a browser, and you should be able to create/find an app which includes an embedded browser. That will make it look like an app for the end-users.

Imperf3kt

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:28 am

I use Ren'Py for these sorts of things. You'll have to compile it yourself though, as only versions above 7.0 are supported (semi-officially) although earlier versions do work and can be found in the repository.

If you follow the linked instructions, be aware that there is a typo near the end of the install instructions. Details are a post or two after the linked post.

Functionality is currently somewhat limited, the current suggested method is to create and compile your game/text adventure on an x86 based PC using the build option 'Linux x86', and then run it on the Pi.

Note that my posts in that thread are rather immature. Discretion is advised.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Return to “Gaming”