Henryeeeeeeee

How to change undervoltage icons

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:04 pm

I am wondering how to change undervoltage, overvoltage, and temperature icons on the raspberry pi 3.
Thanks

trejan

Re: How to change undervoltage icons

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:10 pm

No easy way of doing it AFAIK. The icons are inside the firmware so in theory you could patch it yourself but that is going to be a maintenance nightmare. You can disable the warning icons and display your own instead if you must have your own.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:34 pm

If you're running your Pi correctly, you should never see them. If you do see one or more of them, that's a warning that you're doing something wrong.

alphanumeric

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:24 am

An audible warning would be nice, something like

Danger Will Robinson, Danger Danger. :o

:P Sorry couldn't resist. :lol:

Kidding aside, if its a stock Pi 4B being used hard, the temp warning icon may be something your going to see now and then. I'm happy with the stock warning icon though. As mentioned, I just as soon not see any of them in normal use. And if I did see one I think I'd want to take actions to get ride of it.

alphanumeric

Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:46 am

So, for the overheat icon a steaming slice of Raspberry Pie.
And for undervolt a Piece of Raspberry Pi with a bite taken out of it. :D

W. H. Heydt

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:20 pm

thatchunkylad198966 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:25 am
W. H. Heydt wrote:
If you're running your Pi correctly, you should never see them. If you do see one or more of them, that's a warning that you're doing something wrong.

Nah, the Pi 4 is known to have heat issues and I've seen that icon more than once.
If one is running a Pi4 hard enough to get a thermal warning, then you need to add cooling solutions. I.e. You didn't provide a way to get rid of enough heat for your use case...which is a "you're doing it wrong" situation.

alphanumeric

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:42 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:20 pm
thatchunkylad198966 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:25 am
W. H. Heydt wrote:

Nah, the Pi 4 is known to have heat issues and I've seen that icon more than once.
If one is running a Pi4 hard enough to get a thermal warning, then you need to add cooling solutions. I.e. You didn't provide a way to get rid of enough heat for your use case...which is a "you're doing it wrong" situation.
So, putting my Pi 4B in the official Pi foundation Pi 4 case, with the top on it, is doing it wrong?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:47 pm

In some use cases yes!

With high temperatures outside we have now, the RPI 4 needs "some" cooling if you don't want it to throttle down, is what we now see, it depends heavily on what you try to do.

perhaps the case needs a redesign, with some vent slots, it now isolating too well, for some use cases.

perhaps if these summer temperatures go down a bit the throttling will also go down, or disappear altogether.

alphanumeric

Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:57 pm

I have one of the Black Grey Pi 3B ones. Like the white red, I think its a very nice looking case. And a good quality made case. Heat dissipation is not one of its strong points though. I taped a piece of graph paper on the top and drilled small vent holes where the lines crossed. Doing it free hand wouldn't have worked so well, lol. Then I did the same thing on the bottom. It helped quit a bit. If I had been a bit more ambitious I would have tried to make some kind of Raspberry pattern. I'm not that artistic though. I cast my vote for a Raspberry shaped / styled vent in the top.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:08 pm

mahjongg wrote:
perhaps the case needs a redesign, with some vent slots, it now isolating too well, for some use cases.
Or, as with the Pi0 case, an alternate top with vent holes or perhaps vent holes combined with a small fan mount points. (Yeah, I know about the fan "shim". Problem with that on the two Pi4B2 boards I've set up is that the relevant GPIO pins are in use for an RTC as I expect to be running them off the net.)

I would be happy to buy alternate case tops, should the RPF/RPT choose to release them. I'd pick up at least 6 of them.

alphanumeric

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:18 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:08 pm
mahjongg wrote:
Or, as with the Pi0 case, an alternate top with vent holes or perhaps vent holes combined with a small fan mount points. (Yeah, I know about the fan "shim". Problem with that on the two Pi4B2 boards I've set up is that the relevant GPIO pins are in use for an RTC as I expect to be running them off the net.)

I would be happy to buy alternate case tops, should the RPF/RPT choose to release them. I'd pick up at least 6 of them.
The RTC boards I have only use i2c, which is a shared bus anyway. They should work Ok with the fan shim? The BCM 3 wake shouldn't be an issue? It will only ever be momentarily grounded to start up the Pi. As I understand it anyway.
Connecting the two boards at the same time may be an issue though? There are ways around that though if you get creative.

trejan

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:28 pm

alphanumeric wrote:
The BCM 3 wake shouldn't be an issue?
It should be fine. It'll have released the wake GPIO long before the kernel wants to communicate with anything on I2C.

alphanumeric

Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:01 am

trejan wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:28 pm
alphanumeric wrote:
The BCM 3 wake shouldn't be an issue?
It should be fine. It'll have released the wake GPIO long before the kernel wants to communicate with anything on I2C.
Thats what I was thinking.

Return to “General discussion”