dkibby

Looking for help sensing striking of marching percussion instruments (drums)

Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:22 pm

I'd like to sense and visually display the striking of marching percussion instruments (bass, snare, tenor drums).

Sound sensor was a first guess, but I'd like to sense multiple drums separately when they are in proximity, so
I need to sense just the drum the sensor is associated with, and not others that are being played just a few feet away.

blimpyway

Re: Looking for help sensing striking of marching percussion instruments (drums)

Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:44 am

Analog or digital?

You need to record just the fact there was a strike or want to also know how strong it was?

PS there are some sound sensor modules for Arduino, which:
- can operate at 3.3v too
- have both analog and digital output (adjustable with potentiometer)

If you want analog values then an arduino pro mini may read up to 8 sensors with its analog pins and send data to Pi via serial or i2c. Or use an A/D converter for Pi

For digital output only you can just hook them up to Pi's gpio.

hippy

Re: Looking for help sensing striking of marching percussion instruments (drums)

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:49 am

Piezo sound sensors can be used as strike detectors, usually are in electronic drum heads.

It would be best not to connect a piezo strike sensor direct to the Pi's GPIO without a zener clamp, and even then I'm not sure how safe that would be. Piezos can give out more than 3V3 which could damage the GPIO, could adversely affect or destroy the PMIC if diode clamped to 3V3.

It would be best to run the piezos through some buffering logic or through a micro so strikes can be turned into serial, even MIDI, data for the Pi to use.

If the piezo output signal isn't large enough for where you need to attach it; you can boost the signals with an op-amp.

Some experimenting will probably be required.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”